PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in S.F. Bay Area

FatKatMatt
11-07-2006, 9:22 PM
I have my licence, and I want to make use of it. Deer season is over, so where can I do some small time hunting here in the Bay Area? I don't really care what it's for, just that I can get a tag for it and go. Thanks to all who respond.

VeryCoolCat
11-08-2006, 12:49 AM
I have my licence, and I want to make use of it. Deer season is over, so where can I do some small time hunting here in the Bay Area? I don't really care what it's for, just that I can get a tag for it and go. Thanks to all who respond.

You can drive an hour north and theres lots of pig areas out there... but like 95% of pigs are on private land... and it'd end up costing you $500+ to get a pig.

CalNRA
11-08-2006, 3:22 AM
hey VeryCoolCat, if I wanted to get away for the day with a 22 Rifle/Shotgun to shoot some Coyotes and Varmints(I don't need tags for those right?), where can I go near(1 hour drive or so) the SF Bay Area?

anotherone
11-10-2006, 1:01 AM
A lot of people new to hunting are under the illusion that all it takes is a rifle and some camo and then you proceed to walk into the woods and there will be a deer or other game sitting there. Nothing could be further than the truth. Wild animals are exactly that: wild. They're amazing at remaining hidden from hunters and often even when you're in the right spot you still won't spot them.

The first thing you need to be doing is going to your local BLM office and purchasing maps of nearby BLM land. Next study those maps and begin to scout the land. Look for tracks, droppings, and listen for game calls. Research the various animals and learn their patterns. Hunting, and even varminting are art forms that require considerable patience.

CalNRA
11-10-2006, 1:14 AM
true, but not everyone is going hunting just for the hunt. sometimes we just take a friend or two and go hiking and plinking. If we get to tag a few coyotes or varmints great. If not no biggie still good to make it out to the outdoors.

I have been shooting varmints since I was a kid. I guess that still makes me "new" to hunting....:rolleyes:

joel1316
11-10-2006, 8:15 AM
hey VeryCoolCat, if I wanted to get away for the day with a 22 Rifle/Shotgun to shoot some Coyotes and Varmints(I don't need tags for those right?), where can I go near(1 hour drive or so) the SF Bay Area?

Please don't use a 22 (I'm assuming 22lr) on a coyote....:(
Doubt that would be a very humane kill. Use the shotgun with #4 buck and your good to go!:D

guns_and_labs
11-10-2006, 9:20 AM
Definitely wild boar. Head north or south, and find some BLM land bordering a ranch or cultivated field. King City and Coalinga area to the south, or near Cow Mountain to the north.

The same areas will work for little critters, but they don't taste as good.

FatKatMatt
11-10-2006, 11:49 AM
You can drive an hour north and theres lots of pig areas out there... but like 95% of pigs are on private land... and it'd end up costing you $500+ to get a pig.

I would do that but I couldn't eat it... I'm a Jew :)

CalNRA
11-10-2006, 2:33 PM
Please don't use a 22 (I'm assuming 22lr) on a coyote....:(
Doubt that would be a very humane kill. Use the shotgun with #4 buck and your good to go!:D

I was thinking of a 22Mag but good point nevertheless.:D