PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Suggestions

AR Lover
04-06-2011, 9:40 PM
I am looking into buying my first AR-15. There are so many different options and price ranges I get overwhelmed with the choices. Can anyone suggest a reliable complete AR-15 that is under $1200. I could also purchase all the pieces seperate, but I dont know what companies supply reliable parts for a somewhat inexpensive price. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Baconator
04-06-2011, 9:40 PM
Where do you live?

ccsun0201
04-06-2011, 9:43 PM
Great question AR Lover! I am in the same boat and live near SF. Any recommendations?

Baconator
04-06-2011, 9:44 PM
You should both do a lot of reading in the centerfire forum and build your own.

emgee00
04-06-2011, 9:58 PM
I have a few for sale if this helps at all.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=402336

AR Lover
04-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Southern California

dieselpower
04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
what part of SoCal...why can't people just say.. I live in Oxnard, are there any dealers near me who carry AR15s?

Where do you live?

jtriggs
04-07-2011, 1:18 AM
AR Lover, If you decide to build your own I have a complete lower for sale with all the best parts at a savings. CMMG reciever, Rock River Operator collapsable stock, Ergo storage pistol grip, Rock River 2 stage trigger w/ Winter trigger guard, and RAD Button magazine release (for California). All you need is a complete upper assembly that snaps right in to complete the rifle (I had planned to use a Rock River upper) and you could complete the rifle for well under $1200. Send me a PM (private message) if interested. I'm in Central California.

Flintlock Tom
04-07-2011, 6:27 AM
Rock River Arms has all the parts, complete rifles or just the lower half or just the upper half. Mix and match or buy the whole gun.
Rock River Arms (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=463)

C_1
04-07-2011, 8:04 AM
I would look into assembling my own AR, but if youre lazy, Daniel Defense and LMT have nice complete ARs. BCM makes good stuff too. If you cant find those for a good deal, Stag, CMMG and Spikes Tac, should have you covered..

JDW67
04-07-2011, 8:06 AM
You should be able to build a nice ar for way less than $1,200.

dieselpower
04-07-2011, 8:10 AM
You should be able to build a nice ar for way less than $1,200.

Well $1200 would be a total cost figure for a firearm + gear.

evidens83
04-07-2011, 8:15 AM
Build yourself the lower thats the simple part. Now go scour the internets and do your research on uppers. Plenty of good ones out there for all types of budgets.

DTI, RRA, Stag, LMT, BCM, RG should all fall within that budget...

CA Marine
04-07-2011, 9:01 AM
I currently own a S&W M&P15 and have no complaints about it, but if I were to do it all over again I would go with a S&W complete lower and a Colt 6940 complete upper. It should also get you in within the 1100-1200 dollar range.

CK_32
04-07-2011, 9:48 AM
Build your own. youll be way under $1200 to build a rifle better than a factory $1200 one.

Stick with BCM... LMK... Daniel defense.. DPMS.. Rock river.. Spikes and JD machine.. Youll builkd a legit AR for $900 to $1200 easy.

Rscan925
04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
i agree. buy a cheap spikes stripped lower and LPK. then just buy a complete upper from the gun show. i made one for a little over $800 that way.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
04-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Check the classified section of calguns. I kind of wish I had checked there prior to paying full retail for my ar.

vorpar
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Near Oxnard, I'd go to the Ventura gun show the next time it rolls around.

Flintlock Tom
04-07-2011, 1:34 PM
My first two that I built last year came in at about $700 each. One Bushmaster (7.62x39) and one DelTon (5.56). The third one that I am just finishing up is at about $1200 now; Stag Arms (6.8 SPC).
The first two I used the cheapest parts I could find on the internet and they work just fine.

SPR18
04-07-2011, 2:27 PM
you can go ar15sales.com to get a stag completed rilfe kit for $614 shipped + any lower you want, total around $800:D

dieselpower
04-07-2011, 4:07 PM
Near Oxnard, I'd go to the Ventura gun show the next time it rolls around.

I just tossed Oxnard out there as an example. The OP has not yet told us where in SoCal he is.

If he was near the Ventura area such as Oxnard I would send him to Uncle Pauls in Ventura, Fort Courage Armory in SimiValley, Lock N Load in Camarillo, and if none of those worked out, BlueLine Ammo in Ventura.

AR Lover
04-07-2011, 9:45 PM
Thank you for all of your suggestions guys. I am going to look around at all the sites you guys suggested and if I am interested in purchasing parts from one of you; I will send a personal message. Thanks again and keep those suggestions coming this is a great thread for people who do not know where to get reliable AR-15's.

AR Lover
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
what part of SoCal...why can't people just say.. I live in Oxnard, are there any dealers near me who carry AR15s?

Where do you live?

Sorry I am new to CALGUNS, and forums in general. I have used them in the past but I just browse and read what other post, I never really posted.

I live in the Coachella Valley near Palm Springs. There is a shop about twenty minutes away from me called Bear Arms. They sells LAM stripped lowers and a few complete LAM AR-15's. Are these reliable rifles? And I looked online and saw similiar complete rifles from LAM or Ledesma Arms ,I believe is the full company name, that were a little cheaper than the store. I have seen that someone posted about them before on CALGUNS but not many people have heard about them. If anybody has information about LAM please post.

By the way my name might suggests that I know about AR's but I have only shot my friends, and I just got hooked so I think it fits with me. I am probably going to get a complete rifle so I can get associated with the platform easier. That said I would be looking for suggestions on mostly complete rifles, complete uppers, and complete lowers. I know I can put the upper and lower together, it seem like a lot of little components and I might have trouble if I get everything stripped and separate. Although it could very well be easier than I am making it out to be, what would you guys suggest to a newbie to there own AR easy or not?

themailman
04-08-2011, 6:35 PM
Build your own. youll be way under $1200 to build a rifle better than a factory $1200 one.

Stick with BCM... LMK... Daniel defense.. DPMS.. Rock river.. Spikes and JD machine.. Youll builkd a legit AR for $900 to $1200 easy.

First off, who is LMK? Second, why are you giving contradictory advice again?

Code7inOaktown
04-08-2011, 7:11 PM
First off, who is LMK? Second, why are you giving contradictory advice again?

Perhaps he meant LMT: Lewis Machine and Tool?

I think are going the right way: pre-built rather than trying to assemble it from a stripped lower. I think what he means by "build it" and using a lot of commercial companies is that the AR is so modular that you can buy a completely built lower, and a completely built upper and just put them together.

I recommend going with a company with good customer support should you have issues. $1,200 is more than enough to get you there too. Your big problem is that you need to decide what you want which is not easy with the gazillion AR configurations out there. How about a Daniel Defense XVM? Nice basic mid-length gas system carbine. At Riflegear, it's just under $1,200. As a newbie, you should definitely look into the customer service from the company that you are buying anything from.

If you want a complete BCM, http://www.gandrtactical.com will sell you a complete rifle with Vamfire MLD if you want. You'll need an FFL that you can ship the lower to since G&R is out of state.

AR Lover
04-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Check the classified section of calguns. I kind of wish I had checked there prior to paying full retail for my ar.

Where is the classified section of Calguns. I have read this a few times and cannot seem to find it. Is the "classified section" what you guys and girls call posting of people selling there guns; but there not organized they are just mixed in with the other categories. I guess what I am trying to say is; is there an actual classified section on Calguns an dif so where can I find it.

Droppin Deuces
04-09-2011, 12:50 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=92

AR Lover
04-09-2011, 12:54 AM
thanks Droppin