PDA

View Full Version : California anti-gun bills to be heard April 12

javalos
04-06-2011, 7:03 PM
California: Anti-Gun Bills Scheduled to be Heard in the State Assembly and Senate Public Safety Committees on April 12
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6555
Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Please contact members of the Assembly and Senate Public Safety Committees!

On Tuesday, April 12, the California Senate and Assembly Public Safety Committees, are scheduled to hear three anti-guns bills. Senate Bill 124 would ban virtually all handgun and rifle ammunition and cartridges, Assembly Bill 144 would ban open carry and Assembly Bill 809 would require long gun registration.

SB 124, introduced by anti-gun extremist state Senator Kevin De León (D-22), is scheduled to be heard in the state Senate Public Safety Committee on April 12 at 9:30 am in Room 3191.

SB 124 would create a broadly expanded and technically flawed definition of handgun ammunition which would encompass virtually all rifle cartridges. It would also ban the possession of many types of rifle cartridges and make it a felony to possess them. SB 124 doesn’t stop there, it could also ban virtually all non-lead ammunition used in California by reclassifying them as “armor piercing.” If passed, this bill could result in a complete ban on hunting in the California condor zone in which the use of lead ammunition is prohibited for hunting. This bill has enormous ramifications for California gun owners and sportsmen.

The NRA is also expecting an anti-gun amendment regarding the registration of ammunition and the banning of mail-order ammunition to be introduced at this hearing.

It is imperative that you call and e-mail members of the Senate Public Safety Committee IMMEDIATELY and urge them OPPOSE SB 124. Contact information for the Senate Public Safety Committee can be found at the bottom of this alert.

Also on April 12, the state Assembly Public Safety Committee will hear two anti-gun bills at 9 a.m. in room 126 on the first floor of the capitol

In an effort to further stifle law-abiding gun owners from exercising their right to keep and bear arms, anti-gun Assemblyman Anthony Portantino (D-44) has introduced legislation that would change the state’s gun laws and prohibit law-abiding citizens from carrying an unloaded handgun openly. It is currently legal to carry an unloaded handgun into most public places within the state, including restaurants and malls, but if approved, AB 144 would make it a misdemeanor to carry an unloaded handgun in public under most circumstances.

AB 809, introduced again by F-rated Assemblyman Mike Feuer (D-42), would establish a state registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired rifles and shotguns. Under AB809, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office.

Please contact members of the Assembly Public Safety Committee listed at the bottom of this alert and urge them to OPPOSE AB 144 and AB 809.

Also contact your state Senator and Representative and let them know that California is part of the United States and your firearm rights are protected by the Second Amendment. Let your state Senator and Representative know that SB 124, AB 144 and AB 809 infringe on your Second Amendment rights. For contact information on your state Senator and Representative or help identifying your state legislators click here.

Senate Public Safety Committee - oppose SB 124

Senator Loni Hancock (D-9), Chairman
Senator Joel Anderson (R-36), Vice Chairman
Senator Ron Calderon (D-30)
Senator Tom Harman (R-35)
Senator Carol Liu (D-21)
Senator Curren Price (D-26
Senator Darrell Steinberg (D-6), President pro Tem

Assembly Public Safety Committee – oppose AB 144 and AB 809
Tom Ammiano (D-13), Chairman
Steve Knight (R-36), Vice Chairman
Gilbert Cedillo (D-45)
Curt Hagman (R-60)
Jerry Hill (D-19)
Holly J. Mitchell (D-47)
Nancy Skinner (D-14)

twoyellowlabs
04-06-2011, 9:34 PM
Man I love cut and paste. I wrote them all in about 20 minutes.

Dear Assemblyman Ammiano,
Please oppose the unconstitutional proposed legislation SB124, AB144 and AB809.
The United States constitution guaranteed our civil rights to protect our ourselves and our families with the 2nd amendment. As a small business owner and a provider of my family, I hope that you will vote to keep my rights to protect myself and my family by opposing this legislation.

Thank you

Purple K
04-07-2011, 8:18 AM
Just an FYI. You can e-mail all of the committee members simultaneously from the NRA-ILA website. Disregard the part about fees, it's a free service. The verbiage about fees is to discourage non-NRA types from using the service for non-gun related topics.

Purple K
04-07-2011, 8:20 AM
Oops: www.nraila.org

Zak
04-07-2011, 9:00 AM
What's the logic behind banning UOC? I think both sides could agree that anyone who practices UOC aren't the dangers to society.

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 9:14 AM
Man I love cut and paste. I wrote them all in about 20 minutes.

Dear Assemblyman Ammiano,
Please oppose the unconstitutional proposed legislation SB124, AB144 and AB809.
The United States constitution guaranteed our civil rights to protect our ourselves and our families with the 2nd amendment. As a small business owner and a provider of my family, I hope that you will vote to keep my rights to protect myself and my family by opposing this legislation.

Thank you

I cant send a email unless unless I am in their district. Whats the best way to write them?

Purple K
04-07-2011, 9:15 AM
You want logic from OUR legislators..... Bwahahaha!

Wherryj
04-07-2011, 9:16 AM
What's the logic behind banning UOC? I think both sides could agree that anyone who practices UOC aren't the dangers to society.

Just why are you trying to connect logic and politics? The two have nothing to do with one another.

Purple K
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I cant send a email unless unless I am in their district. Whats the best way to write them?

I just had the same problem. I'll be faxing my responses.

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Okay, I sent an email to every D on the list, Senate and Assembly. I had to manufacture zip codes to do it. Here's my letter for the Assembly. Some is cut and paste some is mine...

I am writing to voice my opposition to AB 144 and AB 809

AB 144 is legislation that would change the state’s gun laws and prohibit law-abiding citizens from carrying an unloaded handgun openly.
Now I dont like UNLOADED open carry, but can you suggest a LEGAL way for me to carry a firearm to protect my family and my property, in public, if this bill were to pass?
I dont not have body guards or special status with the sheriffs office. I dont even own a bullet proof vest like a certian law maker who proposed this junk bill the last time...

Speaking of junk bills,
AB 809 would establish a state registration system, similar to the one currently in place for handguns, for all newly-acquired rifles and shotguns. Under AB809, the make, model and serial number of the firearm as well as the identifying information of the purchaser would be recorded and kept on file by the California Attorney General’s office.

I am sure you know how faulty the states DROS and current handgun registration system is. I will only say this, it has cost Canada ONE BILLION DOLLARS to implement their long gun registration scheme and IT HAS NOT SOLVED ONE SINGLE CRIME.
Our once great state is 29 billion in the hole, can we afford to support the personal vendettas against law abiding gun owners the legislature seems to have?

The authors of these bills do not care about the oaths they took to support the Constitution, do you?

Brenton Adams
USCG Veteran, NRA, CRPA

twoyellowlabs
04-07-2011, 1:48 PM

I am not in any of their districts and just clicked the NRA provided link to each of their offices. You have to fill in your contact information then comment in the oppose section. Didn't take long. You can always fax or call. They just take a tally of for and against on each topic. At least I feel like I did something.....not that they will listen to a mere tax paying subject. Every little bit helps.

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 1:51 PM
If you fill out the zip code it tells you to contact your own rep. I didnt realize you could leave it out

Here is the reply from Darrel Stienberg. So who's lying, him or the NRA?

Thank you for your recent communication opposing SB 124 (De Leon). This bill would change the wording of existing law to eliminate the word "primarily" as it pertains to ammunition and what constitutes a charge of first-degree murder. For example, under current law, murder using "ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" is murder in the first degree. This bill would delete the word "primarily" and recast that provision to provide that all murder in which the perpetrator knowingly uses ammunition designed to penetrate metal or armor is murder in the first degree.

This bill was introduced on January 26th, 2011, and has been assigned to a committee hearing for April 12th. I prefer not to take a position on bills before they come to me because they can change significantly in the committee process. While I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, I am generally a strong supporter of gun control and gun regulation, and in the past I have proposed and supported many bills to that end.

You can read more about the status, history, and analysis of this and other bills online at www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html. While you are online, please check out my website, www.sen.ca.gov/steinberg, to learn of community events and other issues in which I am involved.

I trust that we agree on far more issues than we disagree. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on issues of concern to them. Please continue to express your views to me so I may best represent you in the state Senate.

If you need my assistance or have concerns about any other matter, please do not hesitate to call my office at (916) 651-1529.

Sincerely,

DARRELL STEINBERG

President pro Tempore

6th Senate District

MSO4MATT
04-07-2011, 2:10 PM
Thank God Jerry Brown is gonna veto everyone of these bills!

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 2:11 PM
I wrote him back

SB 124
In regards to the reply letter sent to me about SB 124 (De leon) you write that this "...bill would delete the word "primarily" and recast that provision to provide that all murder in which the perpetrator knowingly uses ammunition designed to penetrate metal or armor is murder in the first degree."

Do you not see the part that bans the possesion of "handgun" ammo that can penetrate metal etc...?
You realize, I am sure, that that definition is so vague, that you might as well just grant de leons wish of banning all ammo completly.

Another thing, what constitutes "handgun ammo"? Let me tell you, to save you the time, that I went through this because of de leon last year, and all retailers will just assume that any round will be either/or and just stop selling to California or in California.

This is de leon's goal with this bill. You say you havent made up your mind. I am glad, please consider the reprecutions of AB 962 on law abiding shooters and hunters. Thankfully the courts saw that bill for what it was worth and tossed it out.
Please do not put us through this a second time.

Thank you

Brenton Adams
USCG Veteran, NRA, CRPA

hefedehefe
04-07-2011, 2:28 PM
Should I sell my guns?

furyous68
04-07-2011, 2:37 PM
Should I sell my guns?

Yep... sell them to me for the cost of the PPT & you'll be burden free :D

Don29palms
04-07-2011, 2:52 PM
Darrell Steinberg admits he's a gun grabber in his response.

Wherryj
04-07-2011, 4:01 PM

...Right after he mandates that all new PRK housing be constructed out of gummy bears to reduce injuries during earthquakes.

Bowhunter Bill
04-07-2011, 4:07 PM
I thought the recent Supreme Court ruling would end this anti gun ****. Apparently not.

jeffsenpai
04-07-2011, 4:08 PM

could you post the response?

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 4:13 PM
If you fill out the zip code it tells you to contact your own rep. I didnt realize you could leave it out

Here is the reply from Darrel Stienberg. So who's lying, him or the NRA?

Thank you for your recent communication opposing SB 124 (De Leon). This bill would change the wording of existing law to eliminate the word "primarily" as it pertains to ammunition and what constitutes a charge of first-degree murder. For example, under current law, murder using "ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" is murder in the first degree. This bill would delete the word "primarily" and recast that provision to provide that all murder in which the perpetrator knowingly uses ammunition designed to penetrate metal or armor is murder in the first degree.

This bill was introduced on January 26th, 2011, and has been assigned to a committee hearing for April 12th. I prefer not to take a position on bills before they come to me because they can change significantly in the committee process. While I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue, I am generally a strong supporter of gun control and gun regulation, and in the past I have proposed and supported many bills to that end.

You can read more about the status, history, and analysis of this and other bills online at www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html. While you are online, please check out my website, www.sen.ca.gov/steinberg, to learn of community events and other issues in which I am involved.

I trust that we agree on far more issues than we disagree. I appreciate hearing from my constituents on issues of concern to them. Please continue to express your views to me so I may best represent you in the state Senate.

If you need my assistance or have concerns about any other matter, please do not hesitate to call my office at (916) 651-1529.

Sincerely,

DARRELL STEINBERG

President pro Tempore

6th Senate District

chris
04-07-2011, 4:20 PM

not holding my breath.

Librarian
04-07-2011, 5:43 PM
I thought the recent Supreme Court ruling would end this anti gun ****. Apparently not.

That would nice.

Politicians will not give up their little foibles that easily - more years in court are necessary.

SanPedroShooter
04-08-2011, 5:26 AM
Reply from Holy Mitchell (D-LA) At least she took the time to read my nasty letter (above). I can almost feel a shred of sympathy for these people. Their constituents want something done about the horrible crime they live with...
Then I think about may issue, AW ban, ten day wait, on and on and on and on.

No mercy...

Her reply:

Dear Brenton,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding your very important concerns. Be assured that I consider the perspectives of all of my constituents.

And the answer is "yes" I do care about my oath to support the Constitution as I intend to do.

We are eager to hear the views of our constituents and hope that you will stay in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Assemblymember Holly J. Mitchell

My reply to her reply (we could do this all day)

I am glad you say you care about your oath, I will take this as a good sign of your intention to vote NO on these naked attacks on the Second Amendment rights that all AMERICANS enjoy, even ones in California.

Thank you,
Brenton Adams

Mulay El Raisuli
04-08-2011, 5:48 AM

While he's clearly no prize, I do have to give him high marks for honesty.

The Raisuli

P.S. Brent, I hope you corrected the spelling before your letters went out.

SanPedroShooter
04-08-2011, 6:15 AM
Nope, they went out just like they are, incorrect spelling and all. Their votes are locked in, these letters are more to make me feel better than to change their minds. At best they may tally the for and against. I'm not trying to win awards for spelling and grammer. My point gets across, if its disregarded for minor letter transpositions of all things, so be it.

Plus there's no spell check on their contact forms. I check words I know I spelled wrong, but if I dont catch it, it goes out as is.

fonso
04-08-2011, 9:26 AM

I used to try sending emails by going to their web pages, but they want all sorts of info which I don't like giving out.

So the way I now send emails to my State Senator is this way: senator.gaines@senate.ca.gov

You can use the same format for all of them and only a few will bounce as undeliverable. For instance: senator.steinberg@senate.ca.gov; senator.anderson@senate.ca.gov; etc.

:D :D

Zak
04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
My State Senator has two addresses listed, does it matter which one I write to?

Anderson, Joel
36 27555 Ynez Road
Temecula, CA 92591
(951) 676-1020

500 Fesler Street
Suite 201
El Cajon, CA 92020
(619) 596-3136

Librarian
04-08-2011, 5:11 PM
My State Senator has two addresses listed, does it matter which one I write to?

No, not really; there is also a Sacramento office address for each senator. When in session, letters sent there and calls to that office get whatever result they will have a bit sooner.

taishofugu
04-08-2011, 8:54 PM
Just emailed all the Senator's and Assmblymember's to oppose SB-124, AB-144 and AB-809. Had to do some digging to get all the correct zip codes.

77bawls
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Plus there's no spell check on their contact forms. I check words I know I spelled wrong, but if I dont catch it, it goes out as is.

Firefox has a built in spell checker. There are few things it doesn't work in. It underlines misspelled words as you type them. Right click on them and it gives you options for correction.

Mulay El Raisuli
04-09-2011, 4:53 AM
Nope, they went out just like they are, incorrect spelling and all. Their votes are locked in, these letters are more to make me feel better than to change their minds. At best they may tally the for and against. I'm not trying to win awards for spelling and grammer. My point gets across, if its disregarded for minor letter transpositions of all things, so be it.

All of that is true. Still, changing the stereotype that they no doubt have isn't a bad thing either. It won't have an effect anytime soon, but the cumulative effect may matter later on.

The Raisuli