PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Over with no PC

icorradoi
04-06-2011, 6:33 PM
So, this morning I'm driving to work in a 2010 Corvette after having dropped off my daughter at daycare. Glock unloaded and in it's case in the trunk. I make a left turn onto Landess in Milpitas and see that a cop car turning right at the stop sign where I turned left makes a big U-turn and comes up behind me. I continue driving the speed limit (past Valkyrie arms no less!) until we get to the Shell station on Landess and Main street in Milpitas (about 2-3 miles). Here he decides to turn on his lights and I pull into the gas station and turn off the car.
Cop comes up to my window and asks where I'm from. I tell him from here. He says the car is registered to a rental agency. I inform him I am an employee with company ID and am authorized to drive the vehicle. He asks for my driver's license and goes back to his car.
Comes back and asks why I'm driving this car. I tell him it was involved in an accident by a customer and we repaired it. Just driving it to make sure it is OK. He looks at the front of my car and asks me when it was repaired. I tell him I drove it out of the shop on Monday. He asks where my shop is, I tell him. He goes back to his car again.
Comes back again and says to me "I'll bet you're wondering why I pulled you over" I reply, "Yes!" He then tells me that a similar vehicle was involved in an altercation in San Jose last week. He asks if I was involved in any altercations. I reply to him "No" Then he asks "Are you sure?" I reply "Yes" again. He then asks again where my shop is. I tell him again At this point I'm pretty sure this guy is fishing for the wrong answer from me although I've done nothing illegal.
He comes back with a 5X7 preprinted card where I see him filling out my information and he asks for my phone number, which I give to him.
He gives me back my license and tells me how lucky I am to get to drive this car and to be careful not to crash it!?
As I'm leaving I realize I didn't get his name or badge number and I'm not even sure if he's Milpitas or SJPD. I do remember that he had a police mountain bike strapped to the back of his cruiser.
I just wanted to get to work on time and not get into any sort of altercation, but the more I thought about it today, the more pissed off I got.
Is driving a Yellow Corvette while wearing a baseball cap PC for pulling me over? If I do something about this, does his BS "altercation" story hold up as probable cause? How can I find out this guy's name, badge number, or if there is a report from when I was pulled over?
In the future I think I will just invoke the 5th and let them sort it out. The only thing that worried me was being detained and having a company car get impounded/losing my job. It just seems to me that what happened to me today is something from Nazi Germany where I would be detained just for sticking out.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I think I needed to vent a bit after this morning.

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Yes, if the vehicle matches the description of a vehicle used in a crime, that is PC to stop the vehicle and identify the driver, so your post is titled wrong.
Think about it, it's a rental car, how do you know what the last customer used it for. If everyone just claimed the 5th for no reason, numerous crimes wouldn't get solved. How are the police supposed to investigate crimes when no one will give them any information?

SickofSoCal
04-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Welcome to AmeriKa

jtmkinsd
04-06-2011, 7:22 PM
Well, he gave you the reason he pulled you over...he took your information because, of course, there is the chance that the person behind the wheel is lying, and was in fact the person they were looking for. So he wrote down your info, and it will go in his contact log. Sounds like a legit stop...don't know why the "more you think about it" it bothers you...IMHO, just let it go.

icorradoi
04-06-2011, 7:24 PM
Yes, if the vehicle matches the description of a vehicle used in a crime, that is PC to stop the vehicle and identify the driver, so your post is titled wrong.
Think about it, it's a rental car, how do you know what the last customer used it for. If everyone just claimed the 5th for no reason, numerous crimes wouldn't get solved. How are the police supposed to investigate crimes when no one will give them any information?

So every time you drive a rental you automatically give up your rights? Ok, I'll carry around "Ze Papers" every time I drive one. Maybe they'll give me a cool yellow star too.:rolleyes:

hoffmang
04-06-2011, 7:24 PM
As annoying as the stop may have been the officer had probable cause and seemed to handle your stop fairly well.

-Gene

snobord99
04-06-2011, 7:27 PM
They don't need PC to pull you over. Just reasonable suspicion.

If the cop told you everything he knew, then there was no PC (even though he didn't need it) nor was there reasonable suspicion for him to have pulled you over to investigate this "altercation." The key here is that the altercation occurred a week ago. If it occurred a week ago, the person they're looking for could well be in NY with the vehicle by now. Unless they have information that the suspect is still in the area or perhaps you matched the suspect's description or just something to indicate that you're the person they're looking for, this was an illegal stop. They can't pull over every red Honda Civic they see just because a robbery suspect was seen fleeing in a red Honda Civic a week ago in the same area.

That said, god knows what info he has that he didn't tell you (I'm willing to bet there was a lot). He may even have pulled you over for a traffic violation you didn't know you committed. There's just too much speculation at this point to conclude that it was definitely legal or illegal.

Shotgun Man
04-06-2011, 7:29 PM
Next time in the corvette, try to get away.

joeyant
04-06-2011, 7:32 PM
Bet the Corvette owner will not be pleased if he knew a company employee was driving around in his sportscar, even using it to drop off kids to daycare.

Next time, drive around the block a couple times to make sure there are no rattles and car is working fine. USE YOUR OWN CAR to run your errands.

I'll give you the name of the cop who pulled you over if you give me the name of your customer who owns the vette.

icorradoi
04-06-2011, 7:35 PM
Bet the Corvette owner will not be pleased if he knew a company employee was driving around in his sportscar, even using it to drop off kids to daycare.

Next time, drive around the block a couple times to make sure there are no rattles and car is working fine. USE YOUR OWN CAR to run your errands.

I'll give you the name of the cop who pulled you over if you give me the name of your customer who owns the vette.

You go first dude. I was authorized by the owner to drive the car.

paul0660
04-06-2011, 7:37 PM
I wasn't around in Nazi Germany, but I am personally convinced that the worst day here is better than the best day there, and that the comparison is the usually the work of simpletons.

Shotgun Man
04-06-2011, 7:37 PM

His employer, the rental agency, not a customer, owns the car.

icorradoi
04-06-2011, 7:43 PM
I wasn't around in Nazi Germany, but I am personally convinced that the worst day here is better than the best day there, and that the comparison is the usually the work of simpletons.

Agreed. But, even this simpleton knows that Nazi Germany, like Rome, wasn't built in a day. What are we building in this country?

joeyant
04-06-2011, 7:49 PM
You go first dude. I was authorized by the owner to drive the car.

Rrrrriiiiight.......

I'm sure you tell your boss you are using the company Corvette like a schoolbus. I'm sure you tell your boss you are also using it to transport guns in the trunk. Just like you told your boss you got pulled over and almost got a ticket. I'm also sure you told your boss to log on Calguns.net and read how you told the world wide web about your excellent adventures in the company car.

I'm sure you told him all that.

Sniper3142
04-06-2011, 7:52 PM
While I'm glad this stop worked out for you, IMHO you did almost everything wrong.

You were very helpful and answered all of his questions.

This is a mistake.

I'm not sure (and no one else can say for sure) how this stop would have ended differently if you'd refused to answer any of his fishing expedition questions. Questions about where I'm from and where I'm going are none of a cops business. I understand them asking (heck... I would too in their shoes), but I just refuse to play that game.

Once again, I'm glad it ended okay for you.

That feeling of being violated will go away after a while. Bathing several times might help.

magsnubby
04-06-2011, 7:55 PM
I agree with the op. It was a bull squat stop. The cop was just fishing. I've been through the same thing. After being stopped on my way home from work for the third night in a row while driving the speed limit and the truck was totally legal because "We're looking for a truck like this" i asked the cop "What the **** do i have to do to get you people to stop pulling me over? Paint my ******* truck????" At least he didn't ask you "When was the last time you were arrested?" but that's another story.

vincnet11
04-06-2011, 7:58 PM
http://images.zaazu.com/img/scratch-head02-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000415-large.gif Tell me what does this story have to do with the 2nd Amendment?

SteveH
04-06-2011, 8:00 PM
FWIW the police do not need PC to pull you over. They need RS to pull you over. They need PC to search, cite or arrest.

Turo
04-06-2011, 8:01 PM
Rrrrriiiiight.......

I'm sure you tell your boss you are using the company Corvette like a schoolbus. I'm sure you tell your boss you are also using it to transport guns in the trunk. Just like you told your boss you got pulled over and almost got a ticket. I'm also sure you told your boss to log on Calguns.net and read how you told the world wide web about your excellent adventures in the company car.

I didn't know it was "Tell everybody else how to run their life and business" day today. Seriously, he had permission from the owner to drive his car and drove it, and you're giving him crap for it? Maybe you need a hobby.

SteveH
04-06-2011, 8:03 PM
They don't need PC to pull you over. Just reasonable suspicion.

If the cop told you everything he knew, then there was no PC (even though he didn't need it) nor was there reasonable suspicion for him to have pulled you over to investigate this "altercation." The key here is that the altercation occurred a week ago.

Depends entirly if the "altercation" was a misdemeanor or felony. If its a misdemeanor then it may have been stale unless its one of the misdemeanor continuing offenses that do not go stale. But if its a felony they can keep investigating as long as they need to in order to apprehend the suspect.

paul0660
04-06-2011, 8:04 PM
I didn't know it was "Tell everybody else how to run their life and business" day today. Seriously, he had permission from the owner to drive his car and drove it, and you're giving him crap for it? Maybe you need a hobby.

This is the INTERNET. It is ALWAYS that day.

snobord99
04-06-2011, 8:04 PM
Rrrrriiiiight.......

Way to focus on something completely irrelevant. :thumbsup:

glockman19
04-06-2011, 8:08 PM
I had this happen once as a teenager...I complied and even opened my trunk as there was nothing in there.

As they say...sometimes **** happens...:)

snobord99
04-06-2011, 8:08 PM
Depends entirly if the "altercation" was a misdemeanor or felony. If its a misdemeanor then it may have been stale unless its one of the misdemeanor continuing offenses that do not go stale. But if its a felony they can keep investigating as long as they need to in order to apprehend the suspect.

They can investigate anything they want as long as they want; that doesn't lead to the right to pull over whoever they want whenever they want.

Trust me on this, if ALL they had was "a guy involved in an 'altercation' was in a yellow Corvette around here last week," this was not a legal stop; it would be exactly the type of "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion" the Terry court said would be illegal for the government to act on.

kuyawil
04-06-2011, 8:15 PM
I would have to say that if the vehicle matches the description, then yes, they have reasonable suspicion and probable cause to pull you over. I had a similar experience with SJPD in the late 90's. At the time, I had a Cayman Green 1993 Ford Explorer. It was about 1AM and my buddy and I were on our way home from The Beehive club. Just before we reached E. Santa Clara St. while driving northbound on 2nd St., the lights were flashing in my rear view mirror from several police cars. After coming to a stop, I was addressed by the car directly behind me and instructed to step out of the vehicle slowly. To my surprise, it wasn't until I was in cuffs that I saw the officers had guns drawn, pistols and shotguns, and there were at least eight of them. Seeing all those guns made me realize that this was more than a traffic stop. My buddy, who has never seen or handled a gun before let alone have one pointed at him, immediately started to hyperventilate out of fear. I mean, with that many guns, who wouldn't be scared. I really did feel bad for him. However, I was also scared myself. As they put me in one of the police cars, I asked why were we being detained. The officer said nothing and continued to be very rude. Well, to make a long story short, there was a shooting earlier in the evening at a community center and we just happen to match the description of the suspects and their vehicle, two Filipino males in a green-colored SUV. Believe me, I didn't like being in cuffs and neither did my friend but the police were just doing their jobs. It's just the manner in which they did their jobs that I didn't like.

So, bottom line, if the description matches, it doesn't make sense to worsen the situation.

SteveH
04-06-2011, 8:17 PM
They can investigate anything they want as long as they want; that doesn't lead to the right to pull over whoever they want whenever they want.

Trust me on this, if ALL they had was "a guy involved in an 'altercation' was in a yellow Corvette around here last week," this was not a legal stop; it would be exactly the type of "inchoate and unparticularized suspicion" the Terry court said would be illegal for the government to act on.

They were not pulling over "whoever they want." They were pulling over corvettes with recent body repairs in an area a corvette recently sustained body damage during the commission of a crime.

anthonyca
04-06-2011, 8:20 PM
You will never be wrong in your prediction. Still, you are a simpleton. imo.

I'm going to be banned if I give my opinion of you. Why do you have to insult this poster?

icorradoi
04-06-2011, 8:22 PM

That's the thing. If the "altercation" had involved a Camry would I have just driven by a long line of pulled over Camry's on my way to work this morning?

Not only that, the "altercation", just felt like something made up after he found out I was legit. Can't say either way for sure, so I'll just have to learn from this experience and move on.

This thread has made me laugh, so I don't feel as dirty as I did before I posted.