PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next .22 semi auto Handgun

Skunk2Racer
04-06-2011, 5:13 PM
Ok I've been looking and reading. I don't care for Ruger bull barrel guns, or the beretta neo too starwars looking, walther p22 Too Small. And I don't want a 9mm or .40 conversion to .22LR. ISSA (glock wannabe) is OUT I hate Glocks they pinch my finger & Slide tears up my left thumb. I guess I'm down to the Sig mosquito I know It's very picky about ammo. I plan on using CCI Mini Mags only. Should I get that, Turner's has it for $299 right now or should I wait for the S&W MP .22?
I like that the sig is 90% the size of the 226. And the MP.22 is the same size as the other Centerfire calibers. Too bad my favorite H&K don't make a .22 What to do??!!

fishnbeer
04-06-2011, 5:27 PM
just curious why you dont care for the ruger?

yelohamr
04-06-2011, 5:33 PM
I have a Sig Mosquito and once I found ammo it liked, it's a nail driver.
The ammo that surprised me, was the Aquila 60 grain Sniper Sub Sonic.

uxo2
04-06-2011, 6:40 PM
COLT ACE

TheDeej
04-06-2011, 6:43 PM
Don't knock the neos until you handle one, I never liked the looks either but I held one and bought it. Great feeling gun, would make a better range toy in my opinion if that's what you're after.

Quiet
04-06-2011, 6:45 PM
Since you already decided you do not want a Ruger, Beretta Neo, Walther P-22, ISSC M-22 or .22LR conversion...

If you want something that is accurate and reliable...
Browning Buck Mark
Beretta Model 87 Target

If you want something that has decent accuracy and decent reliability depending on ammo...
SIG Mosquito

If you want to wait a few years to see if it will be available in CA...
S&W M&P-22

rubber duckie
04-06-2011, 6:46 PM
kimber 1911 in .22

Skunk2Racer
04-06-2011, 7:09 PM
just curious why you dont care for the ruger?

I want something shaped more like my P2000. And shooting my Friends Ruger, I don't care for the Weight.

Skunk2Racer
04-06-2011, 7:12 PM
Don't knock the neos until you handle one, I never liked the looks either but I held one and bought it. Great feeling gun, would make a better range toy in my opinion if that's what you're after.

Guess I should see if they have one for rent @ the range. Can't judge if you haven't shot it yet, Right? ;)

Ripon83
04-06-2011, 7:24 PM
Kimber 22 is a good option but a little pricey,
Colt Ace would be wonderful but even more pricey,
Colt conversion kit (Kimber) is $300 and then you need a 1911 to put it on - oh darn - that is the route I'm headed but I'll probably go the $450 Marvel conversion kit on my RIA.
Other intriguing option is a Chiappia 22 which is off roster but you can do a single shot conversion. There is a shop in Wisconsin I found that loves these things and do a custom trigger, barrel and feed job that make them pretty nice guns for about $550 total....I still may end up going that route too.

IPSICK
04-06-2011, 7:26 PM
The only gun that has been mentioned so far and sounds appealing is the Browning Buckmark. Still doesn't approximate the P2000 but I am unaware of a .22 pistol that does.

rocker
04-06-2011, 7:34 PM
The Neos is dead nuts accurate and reliable right out of the box. As far as looks, its only the picture. In the hand its a different story :patriot:

X-NewYawker
04-06-2011, 8:07 PM
kimber 1911 in .22

Ditto.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/handguns/Kimber.jpg

With high velocity ammo you think you are shooting your centerfire with less recoil and deadly accuracy.
or if you have a centerfire pistol already, get a .22 conversion kit for it. They have one for just about every make and model now...

jackandblood
04-06-2011, 8:26 PM
its off roster now isnt it? I was going to get one for 220 turners spring sale when I found out.

cnj
04-06-2011, 8:35 PM

This.

cnj
04-06-2011, 8:36 PM
The Neos is dead nuts accurate and reliable right out of the box. As far as looks, its only the picture. In the hand its a different story :patriot:

And this.

cnj
04-06-2011, 8:36 PM
its off roster now isnt it? I was going to get one for 220 turners spring sale when I found out.

Oops. And this. There is always used though......

Ron-Solo
04-06-2011, 8:38 PM
I love my Ruger MKIII with the 5 1/2" Bull Barrel. Great shooting gun. PITA to clean. :)

I want the Smith MP22 when it come out to go with my MP9, MP9c, and MP45.

jackandblood
04-06-2011, 8:43 PM
hehe. well theres the phoenix arms hp22 at a modest 130ish. It's a nice looking lil' piece and people have said its quite accurate w/ the 5" barrel.

USMC VET
04-06-2011, 8:57 PM
If your not afraid of an older gun then I would HIGHLY suggest a colt woodsman (any variant). It is a tack driver and fun as heck to shoot.

foxtrotuniformlima
04-06-2011, 9:03 PM
I have a Buckmark and could not be happier with it.

Lots of aftermarket stuff from people like TacSol.

Diesel-Gunner
04-06-2011, 9:10 PM
The ATI 1911 was going to be on Roster soon wasnt it?

goofcat
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Take a closer look at a MKIII hunter. The fluted barrel is a thing of beauty! I have over 2k rounds without a single FTF, FTE.
Don't count out the Ruger so quickly, there is a reason it has been around for 60 years

C_1
04-07-2011, 9:35 AM
The Ruger and Browning Buckmark are great 22lr pistols. The Beretta Neos is not too far behind. Everything else, when compared to those 3, is expensive, not really reliable, or accurate. I think that the Glock conversion, Sig Mosquito, and Walther P22, is about as close to a P2000 as you can get..

rubber duckie
04-07-2011, 7:28 PM
didn't know this was out, but sig 1911 in .22 . their website list 399 but not on CA list.

kemasa
04-07-2011, 7:55 PM
BTW, I heard that changes were made to the Mosquito to make it less picky on ammo. I don't know exactly when the change was made, but it would only apply to newer firearms and I don't know if it has been confirmed by real world users.

AlbcAlbrr
04-08-2011, 7:13 AM
I have two Sig Mosquitos. I have never had trouble with either of them. I use CCI Mini-mags or CCI Blazer ammunition. I just bought the second one a few weeks ago. I cleaned it and took it to the range. 250 rounds and not a single jam, FTE, or FTF.

My nephew has one, my niece has a pink one, and a friend of mine has one also.

Here's the point I want to make. I personally know of the performance of 5 separate Sig Mosquitos and they all work without problems. I think there is a bit FUD going around about the Mosquito. He said, she said, they heard that, a guy read that, a girl told me, etc., etc.,etc. I think most of the problems are created by the owners and most of the bad talk is by people who don't even own one.

The Mosquitos work fine. Keep them clean and lubed, and use quality ammo like CCI Mini-mags or Blazer. And if you don't want to do that, then I wonder why you would treat your firearms so poorly.

shooterdude
04-08-2011, 8:17 PM
Look at a CZ Kadet or Kadet kit for a CZ-75. Mine is the most accurate .22 pistol I have ever had.

wc12
04-08-2011, 8:49 PM
I have a mosquito. I used CCI mini mag for the first 300 rounds. Then I started using the Federal 525 pack I got from buds. CCI bulk works well too. A few ftf's on the federal, not bad. Very accurate gun. Very easy to clean. Downside, expensive magazines. I love this gun.

dfletcher
04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
I have an older High Standard Supermatic Tournament with a few different barrels - 6.75" and a 5" bull. It's very accurate and has the best trigger I've felt on a semi auto rimfire pistol. They're off list of course but not too hard to find in CA.

mav007
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Surprised no ones mention it yet. I've had and fired about all the above and finally bit the bullet and found an older (1980) S&W Model 41. Pricey, yes, but it doesn't get any better, period.

You will get spoiled, it's the only one that comes out of the safe these days.

db92
04-08-2011, 10:21 PM
How about a High Standard? Not the shape you are looking for but fun to shoot.

Skunk2Racer
04-09-2011, 2:53 PM
I have two Sig Mosquitos. I have never had trouble with either of them. I use CCI Mini-mags or CCI Blazer ammunition. I just bought the second one a few weeks ago. I cleaned it and took it to the range. 250 rounds and not a single jam, FTE, or FTF.

My nephew has one, my niece has a pink one, and a friend of mine has one also.

Here's the point I want to make. I personally know of the performance of 5 separate Sig Mosquitos and they all work without problems. I think there is a bit FUD going around about the Mosquito. He said, she said, they heard that, a guy read that, a girl told me, etc., etc.,etc. I think most of the problems are created by the owners and most of the bad talk is by people who don't even own one.

The Mosquitos work fine. Keep them clean and lubed, and use quality ammo like CCI Mini-mags or Blazer. And if you don't want to do that, then I wonder why you would treat your firearms so poorly.

That's what I pretty much figured. I'm now 99.99% sure I'm going to get the Mosquito. As for ammo. I Only use CCI AR Tactical in my MP15-22. And seeing how so many Guns suggest using CCI. I'm Only going to use CCI Mini Mags for the First 500 rounds, then I'll use either CCI Blazer or Federal Bulk. When using CCI Blazer do you notice any excess fouling because of the LRN compared to the Copper plated stuff?

wu_dot_com
04-09-2011, 3:35 PM
That's what I pretty much figured. I'm now 99.99% sure I'm going to get the Mosquito. As for ammo. I Only use CCI AR Tactical in my MP15-22. And seeing how so many Guns suggest using CCI. I'm Only going to use CCI Mini Mags for the First 500 rounds, then I'll use either CCI Blazer or Federal Bulk. When using CCI Blazer do you notice any excess fouling because of the LRN compared to the Copper plated stuff?

FYI fouling is caused by unburn powder. which is quite common no matter what brand or grade of .22. lead / wax coat or copper have little effect on fouiling.

federal is held at a lesser shell roundness tolerance than CCI/ blazer bulk pack. as a result, you may experience more FTF and FTE with federal.

for some reason, federal have more dud per box than CCI/Blazer. though its not as that bad. Winchester super X have the most duds.

mini mag is a good round, but it gets expensive when you shoot a lot. get a buckmark for about the same price and you will get a much more reliable and more accurate gun that is less ammo picky.

last Mosquito is not made by SIG. its made by GSG.

MyOdessa
04-09-2011, 3:54 PM
Since you don't like Ruger Mk II/III and other more common guns, I would look for IZh 35M, if you can find one, a great target gun with good ergonomics. It comes in a package with 2 mags, scope base, sight blades and a few other goodies.
http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll359/MyOdessa/Izh35m.jpg

morrcarr67
04-09-2011, 5:18 PM
John M Browning designed one of the best. Colt Woodsman. They are more money then the Sig but well worth it. All of the Colt Woodsman, Huntsman, Targetman and Challengers are C&R eligible and roster exempt.

http://www.icollector.com/images/1200/17068/17068_0688_1_lg.jpg

KTM RICK
04-09-2011, 5:52 PM

Love my NEOS, I was the same way, it looks funky but fits my hand like a glove and is fun as hell to shoot and have not had any issues with any ammo yet. I buy guns on the way they feel and function in my hand. All the others as mentioned did not "feel" right in my hand.

cebuvfr
04-09-2011, 10:43 PM
The Neos looks fugly but at $219, it was a steal! I shoot a lot at the range and using 3-500 rds (40sw) per range day, 2-3x a month was too costly for me so the Neos was a smart solution. I never regretted that decision because not only is it fun to shoot, it's damn accurate! I can shoot 2 bricks per session once a week and wouldn't hurt my pocket at all. I also have an Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock 23 and a Sig 22lr Conversion for my 229. That way, I get used to the same trigger pull as the fire arms I use.

Skunk2Racer
04-10-2011, 2:25 PM
The Neos looks fugly but at $219, it was a steal! I shoot a lot at the range and using 3-500 rds (40sw) per range day, 2-3x a month was too costly for me so the Neos was a smart solution. I never regretted that decision because not only is it fun to shoot, it's damn accurate! I can shoot 2 bricks per session once a week and wouldn't hurt my pocket at all. I also have an Advantage Arms conversion for my Glock 23 and a Sig 22lr Conversion for my 229. That way, I get used to the same trigger pull as the fire arms I use.

How is your Sig 229? I'm kinda now leaning towards getting maybe a 226 or 229 in .40SW and the .22LR conversion kit. Because I want .22LR and after that a .40SW. Why not have everything in 1 gun. Too Bad HK won't make a conversion kit. This seems the cheaper way than getting a Sig Mosquito then later P2000 or P30 or Sig 229 in .40. What do you guys think? Geez decisions decisions decisions......:rolleyes:

killmime1234
04-10-2011, 3:12 PM
Google "Sig Mosquito Slide Break Issue" before you get a mosquito. They're fun and sized well, but I've read sooo many bad reviews about the slide breaking in the same spot on all of them. To make things worse, since the mosquito isn't actually made by Sig, their customer service won't fix it for you.

cnj
04-10-2011, 3:53 PM
Again, NEOS. I went shooting with several "new" shooters yesterday. There were several handguns that were used throughout the day. Three 9MMs, Two .45s, a .38 revolver, and my .22LR Neos. I heard the following comments about my Neos during the day....."Fits my hand perfectly", "Doesn't even kick" (to be expected out of a .22), "Looks futuristic, and it's really accurate"!, "My favorite gun", "Where can I get one of these"?

Skunk2Racer
05-10-2011, 5:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, thoughts & comments. I went with the Sig Mosquito @ Turners for $299. Now the L-o-n-g wait till the 20th.

islandsnow
05-11-2011, 7:54 PM
I was considering one these as well. Let me know how well it shoots, maybe i'll get it at the next turners sale.

rubber duckie
05-11-2011, 8:15 PM
awww no one said GSG1911?? thats that one im waiting to get my hands on at turners. good luck with your mosquito. if its anything like my p226 conversion you should try out different ammo. i can shoot anything and everything without issues. even standard velocity super cheap bulk ammo.

coppertop
05-26-2011, 8:23 PM
s&w 422

bartt
05-27-2011, 11:34 AM
To the OP:
We got a mosquito for my wife since she cannot handle my 1911. The first time out it would not fire. Hit it with some CLP and it worked fine. Seems the firing pin was not free to strike.
Minimags work flawlessly, Remington and Federal bulk packs work 98% - some duds in each box. The remingtons are very dirty and gunk up the gun fast.
Polish the feed ramp and keep it lubed, Gun slick ultra lube spray is really nice in this gun.
It's a blast to shoot.
We found that the middle height front site was best for ours, but YMMV.
Hope it helps and have fun..

cebuvfr
08-08-2011, 4:12 PM
How is your Sig 229? I'm kinda now leaning towards getting maybe a 226 or 229 in .40SW and the .22LR conversion kit. Because I want .22LR and after that a .40SW. Why not have everything in 1 gun. Too Bad HK won't make a conversion kit. This seems the cheaper way than getting a Sig Mosquito then later P2000 or P30 or Sig 229 in .40. What do you guys think? Geez decisions decisions decisions......:rolleyes:

sorry for the delayed response. the 229 with the conversion kit is fun to hoot and get a consistent trigger pull when using the 9. quite picky with ammo, just use cci and you wont have any fte's.

Coyotegunner
08-09-2011, 9:55 AM
I have a variety of them.Several Rugers in fact.S&W 22A works great,especially for the money.The older 2213s are good also.Favorite is a S&W 617 revolver.Dumped 2 Mosquitos.Finicky,stovepipers-both from new.I would like to have a Walther and a Buckmark,due to shooting friends guns that are good.

doc8404
08-12-2011, 5:49 PM
RUGER mark iii

Kodachrome
08-12-2011, 6:16 PM
What about 1911 style? Isn't there something like a GSG from germany that looks like a 1911?
What about a 22 revolver? S&W model 617?
Browning is supposed to come out with a 1911 in 22 but who knows if that will get on the Kali list.
Happy Shooting.