PDA

View Full Version : Prohibited persons and archery

Hunt
04-06-2011, 5:12 PM
I know this guy that was diagnosed with schizophrenia, he was determined by MD during a Court ordered 14 day hold, to be "gravely disabled". This fellow has made tremendous progress in managing this illness, I wanted to take him archery hunting, can he legally possess a bow and arrow as a prohibited person?

Maestro Pistolero
04-06-2011, 5:17 PM
Maybe just give him the arrows with the little rubber suction cups the first few times out, just to see how he does.

El Toro
04-06-2011, 5:27 PM
Im not a doctor, nor am I more than passingly acquainted with schizophrenia. I had a friend who suffered from Bi-polar disorder and that is the extent of my experience with mental illness.

That said, IMHO, persons who suffer mental disorders, even when receiving medication, are not able to function as you or I. They are often a danger to others and themselves. Their illness can be triggered or manifest itself at a moments notice. In short, they're unpredictable. Don't try to be their mental or physical crutch. Your intentions may be good, but it cannot help them and may even hurt them. I believe all person with mental deficiences/illness should be disqualified from a wide range of activities that "normal" people can do. Sorry, it's just my opinion.

Oh, and with regards to my good friend?...if he ever came to my door, I would arm myself.

Regards

Hunt
04-06-2011, 5:33 PM
anyone know the law on this, I understand why people have their opinions but I am trying to find the law.

taperxz
04-06-2011, 5:33 PM
Yes

Hunt
04-06-2011, 5:37 PM
Yes

the firearms prohibited person may use a bow and arrow? Can you explain your certainty? thanks "taperxz"

anthonyca
04-06-2011, 5:38 PM
You can listen to the oral en banc of US v Skoien, (or get the transcripts) and the US attorney say's that Skoien has not lost his right to hunt as he can go to Bass Pro (or some other store I don't remember) and buy a very nice bow.

On Edit:

The US attorney also got a lot wrong. Saying that California expungement ragained ones rights. It doesn't.

taperxz
04-06-2011, 5:42 PM
A bow is not a firearm.

Hunt
04-06-2011, 5:49 PM
thanks guys, I'll check into this further.

Skidmark
04-06-2011, 6:05 PM
A bow is not a firearm.

Yet an arrow is a deadly weapon.

taperxz
04-06-2011, 6:24 PM
A felon can still hunt with a bow

taperxz
04-06-2011, 6:26 PM
Yet an arrow is a deadly weapon.

So is a car.

Hunt
04-06-2011, 6:41 PM
So is a car.

and a fork or your finger if you have the skill.

Hunt
04-06-2011, 6:45 PM
A felon can still hunt with a bow

so then in my situation I need to check and see if there are additional classifications of prohibited persons, so far it looks like a person with schizophrenia can archery hunt.

taperxz
04-06-2011, 6:53 PM
I am pretty sure you are GTG unless the judge had restrictions because of his mental health. Even a felon can bow hunt.

Hunt
04-06-2011, 7:25 PM
I am pretty sure you are GTG unless the judge had restrictions because of his mental health. Even a felon can bow hunt.

nope no special court orders

frankm
04-06-2011, 7:36 PM
He is allowed to hunt. But, do you want him to be fixated on archery. He might be okay, but maybe he gets into it a little too much. I knew a schizo girl who took martial arts. She made a habit of walking around city streets with her bo. The cops eventually had to disarm her. She was not well at times. I don't know if you should turn this guy on to any deadly weapon. But, I'm not a shrink. Yet, there may be a risk.

Hunt
04-06-2011, 7:55 PM
He is allowed to hunt. But, do you want him to be fixated on archery. He might be okay, but maybe he gets into it a little too much. I knew a schizo girl who took martial arts. She made a habit of walking around city streets with her bo. The cops eventually had to disarm her. She was not well at times. I don't know if you should turn this guy on to any deadly weapon. But, I'm not a shrink. Yet, there may be a risk.

I know him well, no worries, probably start off rabbit hunting with blunt arrows see how he does. I think you would be surprised how well people with schizophrenia can do.

I don't know if you should turn this guy on to any deadly weaponwell, it's a little late for that he was a very accomplished martial artist prior to becoming ill.

Gryff
04-06-2011, 8:17 PM
Felons with bows? Why does that sound familiar?

...oh yeah...

http://www.pisymbol.com/images/bo_luke_and_general.jpg

RobG
04-06-2011, 8:20 PM
Felons with bows? Why does that sound familiar?

...oh yeah...

http://www.pisymbol.com/images/bo_luke_and_general.jpg

YeeeeeeHawwwwwwwww!! Just tell your buddy to leave the dynamite tipped arrows at home:D