PDA

View Full Version : Insurrectionist Ideology and the 2nd Amendment

jdberger
04-06-2011, 3:42 PM
Josh Horwitz of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence wrote a book called, "Guns, Democracy, and the Insurrectionist Idea" (http://www.amazon.com/Guns-Democracy-Insurrectionist-Joshua-Horwitz/dp/0472033700) back a few years ago which posited:

that the proponents of this view [Insurrectionist Idea] base their argument on a deliberate misreading of history. The Insurrectionist myth has been forged by twisting the facts of the American Revolution and the founding of the United States, the denial of civil rights to African-Americans after the Civil War, and the rise of the Third Reich under Adolf Hitler. Here, Horwitz and Anderson set the record straight. Then, challenging the proposition that more guns equal more freedom, they expose Insurrectionism---not government oppression---as the true threat to freedom in the U.S. today.

He held a symposium on the Insurrectionist Idea (probably as part of a promotion campaign for his book) with Professor Robert Churchill who wrote, "To Shake Their Guns In The Tyrants' Face". (http://www.amazon.com/Shake-Their-Guns-Tyrants-Face/dp/0472034650/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302133201&sr=1-3)

I encourage you to listen.

Link to the program is here. (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/287623-1)

G60
04-06-2011, 3:55 PM
I noticed csgv's twitter favorite phrase is "white militia guys"

They replied "That depends on how many white insurrectionist militia guys can lecture us about African Americans in a 24-hour period."

Hunt
04-06-2011, 4:04 PM
reading Lysander Spooner settled all political questions for me.

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 4:17 PM

From the Amazon.com page giving information about the book's authors:

Joshua Horwitz received a law degree from George Washington University and is currently a visiting scholar at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He is Executive Director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence and the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence. He has spent nearly two decades working on gun violence prevention issues. He lives in Arlington, Virginia.

Casey Anderson holds a law degree from Georgetown University and is currently a lawyer in private practice in Washington, D.C. He has served in senior staff positions with the U.S. Congress, the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, and Americans for Gun Safety. He lives in Arlington, Virginia.

Hmmm, I wonder whether these guys had any sort of preconceived bias while writing this book?

jl123
04-06-2011, 4:42 PM

:thumbsup:

Pixs
04-07-2011, 10:06 AM
J D Berger,
I apologize for only being able to listen to a little over 7 min. of that nonsense being spewed to a room full of rabbits. I had to stop after he said, in effect, that he disagreed with settled law.

jdberger
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Wait for Churchill.

(BTW - I disagree with "settled law" all the time. See Heller v DC, McDonald v Chicago, Brown v Board of Education, etc.)

SanPedroShooter
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Fast forward to chruchill, its worth it. Horowitz just sounds like a whiner...

Liberty1
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Wait for Churchill.

(BTW - I disagree with "settled law" all the time. See Heller v DC, McDonald v Chicago, Brown v Board of Education, etc.)

Yes, wait or do what I did to make it tolerable and skip to 17:00, then go back and listen to the start later. :)