PDA

View Full Version : What effect does a Government shutdown have on buying a gun?

Skidmark
04-06-2011, 3:35 PM
It appears the House Republicans will fail to produce a spending bill that can pass out of the Senate and get Obama's signature before Friday night... which will lead to another government shutdown. What then happens to anyone buying a gun? I assume that background checks would not go through, since nearly every U.S. government agency office will be closed. What other repercussions would follow? Will FFLs have to stop processing purchases and transfers?

QQQ
04-06-2011, 3:36 PM
Actually, nothing important shuts down.

TheBrick
04-06-2011, 3:38 PM
Actually, nothing important shuts down.

Speak for yourself. The Navy stops sending my paycheck.

QQQ
04-06-2011, 3:49 PM
ho dang. Looks like you're right. Although strictly speaking the military wouldn't shut down; service members will simply get their paycheck later.

Legasat
04-06-2011, 3:51 PM
What is Boxer most concerned with? "President Obama and other politicians won't get their paycheck!" :eek:

Just heard her clip on the radio...

Helpful_Cub
04-06-2011, 4:05 PM
What is Boxer most concerned with? "President Obama and other politicians won't get their paycheck!" :eek:

After the California politicians voted to give themselves CCW permits, this doesn't suprise me.

DesertGunner
04-06-2011, 4:11 PM
Many people have to keep working in the hopes a budget will be passed andq they will get paid later - not just the military.

I did hear that Congress, etc will continue to get paid...

Skidmark
04-06-2011, 4:30 PM
Many people have to keep working in the hopes a budget will be passed and they will get paid later - not just the military.

I did hear that Congress, etc will continue to get paid...

800,000 Federal workers are estimated to be affected. National Parks and Forests will shut down, and their offices will be closed. My question was whether the staff that handle background checks (and other paperwork?) will be amongst those 800k. If so, that's a dam imposition on anyone seeking to exercise their constitutional right to purchase a firearm. On the other hand, they could be among the "essential" workers who will be kept working. Anyone know?

Skidmark
04-06-2011, 4:58 PM
Probably no effect on purchase of a gun, as BATFE and all other Federal LE agencies will keep working.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/government-shutdown-agencies-stay-open-close/story?id=13309873

Ripon83
04-06-2011, 4:58 PM
I'm not sure you wrote this with the intentional spin or not, but in case so lets be fair and balanced:

The newly elected House of Representatives budget proposal was ignored by the Democratic Senate and President leading to a government shut down of non essential services.

It appears the House Republicans will fail to produce a spending bill that can pass out of the Senate and get Obama's signature before Friday night... which will lead to another government shutdown. What then happens to anyone buying a gun? I assume that background checks would not go through, since nearly every U.S. government agency office will be closed. What other repercussions would follow? Will FFLs have to stop processing purchases and transfers?

N6ATF
04-06-2011, 5:04 PM
800,000 Federal workers are estimated to be affected. National Parks and Forests will shut down

And they're going to turn on the electrified fences and arm the landmines?

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 5:22 PM

See, when the non-working people shut down, it's always the working people who take it in the shorts.

MP301
04-06-2011, 6:14 PM
The DROS is computerized and automatic. If the ATF took some time off, maybe they wouldnt be able to make that call to the FFL's to deny pick up to prohibited folks that dont pass the back ground?

97F1504RAD
04-06-2011, 6:20 PM
Funny that you seem to think the Republicans are at fault when in fact the Democrats have had control of the house and senate for the past two years and never managed to pass a budget yet now it is somehow the Republicans fault because they wish to cut spending by something like 6Trillion dollars instead of the measly 60 Billion the Dems want.

But then again maybe i simply interpreted your post incorrectly.

I truly hope the Republicans stick to their guns and let the Dems shutdown the government.

Spetsnazos
04-06-2011, 6:25 PM
Funny that you seem to think the Republicans are at fault when in fact the Democrats have had control of the house and senate for the past two years and never managed to pass a budget yet now it is somehow the Republicans fault because they wish to cut spending by something like 6Trillion dollars instead of the measly 60 Billion the Dems want.

I truly hope the Republicans stick to their guns and let the Dems shutdown the government.

whats in that 6 trillion dollar cut ? Is it just some random number for a talking point or what.

stix213
04-06-2011, 6:27 PM

Exactly

Dems were supposed to have gotten this budget done back when they had control of everything, but they chose to ignore their responsibilities because they didn't want this on their voting record before the last election. Now its all the Republican's fault though right? :rolleyes: The Republicans should be in the middle of working on the following year's budget at whatever pace they want instead of having to clean up after the mess left on the floor by the Pelosi House. Shame on anyone who doesn't put 100% of the blame on the last congress for not doing their job.

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 6:34 PM
It appears that the Media Matters/Daily Kos plant is at it again. Anyone that knows anything about the budget process knows that the Dems failed to pass a budget last year when they were in charge of everything, dumping it in the lap of the current Congress. The current house has passed several budget proposals, all of which have been rejected by the Dem controlled Senate. If the last Congress had done its job, this wouldn't be an issue.

chris
04-06-2011, 6:34 PM
800,000 Federal workers are estimated to be affected.

i wonder what 800k employees are furghloed will do to the unemployment numbers. if the shutdown happens at all and if it does and it lasts longer than a few days or weeks the unemployment numbers will go up.

and our fine men and women will not be getting paid downrange if a shutdown happens. now that sucks.

Exactly

Dems were supposed to have gotten this budget done back when they had control of everything, but they chose to ignore their responsibilities because they didn't want this on their voting record before the last election. Now its all the Republican's fault though right? :rolleyes: The Republicans should be in the middle of working on the following year's budget at whatever pace they want instead of having to clean up after the mess left on the floor by the Pelosi House. Shame on anyone who doesn't put 100% of the blame on the last congress for not doing their job.

i fully blame the Sea Hag from the Bay Area for this and all her Democrat cohorts and Obama as well. but we all know that the MSM will blame Republicans for this and the American people in general will believe it.

Gray Peterson
04-06-2011, 6:36 PM
After the California politicians voted to give themselves CCW permits, this doesn't suprise me.

No such thing happened. That provision was stripped from SB610.

Spetsnazos
04-06-2011, 6:37 PM
Under Ryan’s plan, Medicare would be replaced with a system to provide price supports for the elderly to buy private insurance. You think you have problems getting health insurance now? Give it a try when you’re 80 years old! Good luck to anybody who walks into an insurance company’s office using a cane or a walker! Honestly, Ryan’s plan would send anyone who managed to live to be 110 years old out onto the private market to buy insurance. Now, there’s a real incentive against longevity! I see the genius of Ryan’s plan now. Old people will die off a lot faster without Medicare, leading to big, big savings on Social Security!

http://www.therandirhodesshow.com/main.html

Cool so the plan is to leave all the elderly without healthcare.

No thanks I'll pass. Im in my 20's but I don't have the heart to put all the old timers to death.

97F1504RAD
04-06-2011, 6:37 PM
whats in that 6 trillion dollar cut ? Is it just some random number for a talking point or what.

http://budget.house.gov/fy2012budget/

http://budget.house.gov/UploadedFiles/KeyFactsSummary.pdf

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 6:42 PM

Not if the Republican continuing resolution to fund the gov for another week and continue negotiations is accepted. It funds the military through the rest of the fiscal year.

97F1504RAD
04-06-2011, 6:46 PM

No thanks I'll pass. Im in my 20's but I don't have the heart to put all the old timers to death.

Seriously you going to believe that progressive. That is the typical Dems scare tactic when it comes to cuts.

If you believe her I have some waterfront property I would love to sell you on Mars.

TRICKSTER
04-06-2011, 6:48 PM

OMG, they will be dying left and right, bodies in the streets, grandma eating cat food, and lets not forget the poor children... :fud:

These scare tactic are getting old. How about trying something new.

glock7
04-06-2011, 7:08 PM
I work in the medical field...Medicare will be fine. I'm also ex military, checks will be there. Scare tactics by the left...vote em out in 2012....

nick
04-06-2011, 7:20 PM
800,000 Federal workers are estimated to be affected. National Parks and Forests will shut down, and their offices will be closed. My question was whether the staff that handle background checks (and other paperwork?) will be amongst those 800k. If so, that's a dam imposition on anyone seeking to exercise their constitutional right to purchase a firearm. On the other hand, they could be among the "essential" workers who will be kept working. Anyone know?

Since when do we need federal workers to be able to go to L.A. National Forest? They won't be maintaining it, fine. The forest itself won't just disappear because federal workers aren't paid.

If they actually close the roads because of it, then it's either a strike, or outright extortion, whatever the difference is.

bandook
04-06-2011, 7:43 PM
Quote:
Under Ryan’s plan, Medicare would be replaced with a system to provide price supports for the elderly to buy private insurance. You think you have problems getting health insurance now? Give it a try when you’re 80 years old! Good luck to anybody who walks into an insurance company’s office using a cane or a walker! Honestly, Ryan’s plan would send anyone who managed to live to be 110 years old out onto the private market to buy insurance. Now, there’s a real incentive against longevity! I see the genius of Ryan’s plan now. Old people will die off a lot faster without Medicare, leading to big, big savings on Social Security!

This may not be as bad as you think. Health care costs would plummet if Health Insurance was outlawed tomorrow. Right now, they rise every year because nobody really cares because 'their insurance picks it up' and the insurance companies have everyone over a barrel.

If your insurance wasn't picking it up, you'd be refusing to pay the $15 charge (this is from several years ago, they probably charge $50 now) for a nurse to hand you 2 Tylenol and a glass of water.

Really, countries that have no health insurance have much lower medicare costs mainly because the people will not pay ridiculous costs for something simple.

Once people have to pay out of their pockets, the Medical industry (yes, it is an industry) has 2 options, either reduce costs or go broke because no-one can afford to buy their product. Right now, the government guarantees medicare/medicaid payments so what incentive does anyone have to reduce any costs...

(also the reason why I'm against the current Health Care plan but for a Public Option - as long as it costs much less than current Insurance rates)

ZombieTactics
04-06-2011, 7:49 PM
Cool so the plan is to leave all the elderly without healthcare. ...

You really don't even try to think before you post, do you? Nothing in the proposal cuts "all the elderly" from receiving healthcare. Not even close ... not even marginally close.

Skidmark
04-06-2011, 8:14 PM
The DROS is computerized and automatic
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Computers never get a furlough, let alone a vacation.

Glock'n'Roll
04-06-2011, 8:29 PM

Cool so the plan is to leave all the elderly without healthcaregive people a national reciprocity for ccw.

No thanks I'll pass. Im in my 20's but I don't have the heart to put all the old timers to death allow for the blood to run free in the streets. Think of the chil'ren.

Fixed for you.

Perspective goes along way in some topics and blind in other. Yet, propaganda and politics share one common point. Tug at the heart, 'cause people are not very smart.

hvengel
04-06-2011, 8:48 PM
This may not be as bad as you think. Health care costs would plummet if Health Insurance was outlawed tomorrow. Right now, they rise every year because nobody really cares because 'their insurance picks it up' and the insurance companies have everyone over a barrel.

If your insurance wasn't picking it up, you'd be refusing to pay the $15 charge (this is from several years ago, they probably charge $50 now) for a nurse to hand you 2 Tylenol and a glass of water.

Really, countries that have no health insurance have much lower medicare costs mainly because the people will not pay ridiculous costs for something simple.

Once people have to pay out of their pockets, the Medical industry (yes, it is an industry) has 2 options, either reduce costs or go broke because no-one can afford to buy their product. Right now, the government guarantees medicare/medicaid payments so what incentive does anyone have to reduce any costs...

(also the reason why I'm against the current Health Care plan but for a Public Option - as long as it costs much less than current Insurance rates)

In fact we have examples of this in our current system. Vision correction surgery is not covered by most insurance and never has been. Yet unlike most other medical treatments it gets cheaper every year in part because those performing the procedures know that if they want to keep attracting customers they need to keep costs low. In addition they are always improving the technology and this helps them to drive costs lower.

N6ATF
04-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. Computers never get a furlough, let alone a vacation.

Can only imagine how many system crashes would occur if the techs were instructed to install Windows 95 before they went on furlough.

TheBrick
04-07-2011, 4:59 AM
Not if the Republican continuing resolution to fund the gov for another week and continue negotiations is accepted. It funds the military through the rest of the fiscal year.

Wouldn't that be sweet! I know the pay will be there eventually, it just puts a strain on that emergency fund. God forbid we have an actual emergency this summer.

TheBrick
04-07-2011, 5:02 AM
I work in the medical field...Medicare will be fine. I'm also ex military, checks will be there. Scare tactics by the left...vote em out in 2012....

That's not what we were briefed on. Apparently this one is different than the previous shutdowns.

Socalman
04-07-2011, 5:11 AM
Remember the budget was due before the current congress even took its seats. At that time the democrats held a super majority and yet did not pass a budget.

NotEnufGarage
04-07-2011, 7:15 AM
The DROS is computerized and automatic. If the ATF took some time off, maybe they wouldnt be able to make that call to the FFL's to deny pick up to prohibited folks that dont pass the back ground?

DROS is a California thing, so the Federal budget has no impact.

Remember the budget was due before the current congress even took its seats. At that time the democrats held a super majority and yet did not pass a budget.

Putting the blame on the Republicans is like blaming your sisters new boyfriend for getting her pregnant 6 months before she met him.

In the mean time, I'll be looking for all the bodies of all the seniors who died because they didn't receive their Meals on Wheels dinner. Since these are actually run by non-profits (there is no Federal Seniors Meals Agency that buys, cooks and delivers the food), I probably won't see any, though. These organizations will tap their emergency funds or call for donation, which they'll get because the American people are very generous, except for the hard-core Democrats who never seem to give to a charity unless it involves restricting someone elses freedoms.

Skidmark
04-07-2011, 7:48 AM

I can only imagine which radio network would carry a story that frames her concern over a government shutdown as one primarily of worry over not getting paid... she was on the floor of the Senate to push her bill, S.388, the “No Budget, No Pay” bill, which would

"prevent Members of Congress and the President of the United States from being paid during a shutdown of the federal government."

http://tester.senate.gov/Legislation/upload/tester_stopping_government_pay_during_shutdowns_bi ll.pdf

Seriously...

TRICKSTER
04-07-2011, 1:34 PM
I can only imagine which radio network would carry a story that frames her concern over a government shutdown as one primarily of worry over not getting paid... she was on the floor of the Senate to push her bill, S.388, the “No Budget, No Pay” bill, which would

"prevent Members of Congress and the President of the United States from being paid during a shutdown of the federal government."

http://tester.senate.gov/Legislation/upload/tester_stopping_government_pay_during_shutdowns_bi ll.pdf

Seriously...

NPR?

Mike494
04-07-2011, 4:03 PM

My wife went to the doctor for a "checkup". While she was there, the doctor recommended a flu shot, a pneumonia shot and a teatnus shot. She was charged $50.00 per shot for administering the shots. These charges were in addition to the office visit $185.00 and the price of the three drugs themselves, which I believe ran around 135.00 each. Grand Total $740.00. I find that insane.

taperxz
04-07-2011, 4:27 PM
If the government shuts down for a couple weeks does that mean we don't have to file our taxes because the IRS will be at home watching Oprah?:rolleyes:

Lagduf
04-07-2011, 7:44 PM

For your sake and for the sake of all our service men and women I hope this does not happen.

The thought that those who are serving our state and putting themselves in harms way aren't going to get paid on time really, really, really pisses me off. Especially those who need the money to support their family back home.

A shut down is inexcusable and shameful.

BobFam
04-07-2011, 7:48 PM

From what I heard on the CH. 2 News tonight was that Obummer and all the other Senate and House bozoes get paid out of another budget. They don't loose anything. What a bummer! Bob.

Yugo
04-07-2011, 7:50 PM
whats the point of the shut down if they will get paid later? isnt that the same money? isnt the shutdown happening cause the feds have no money to pay the workers? I dont get it whats the point of the shutdown if people will still get paid (later)?

Knife Edge
04-07-2011, 8:17 PM
From what I heard on the CH. 2 News tonight was that Obummer and all the other Senate and House bozoes get paid out of another budget. They don't loose anything. What a bummer! Bob.

The Federal Reserve will pay them directly ;)

nick
04-08-2011, 3:35 PM
If the government shuts down for a couple weeks does that mean we don't have to file our taxes because the IRS will be at home watching Oprah?:rolleyes:

No, it means they won't accept your paper return and then fine you for not filing it on time. Seriously.

nick
04-08-2011, 3:38 PM
whats the point of the shut down if they will get paid later? isnt that the same money? isnt the shutdown happening cause the feds have no money to pay the workers? I dont get it whats the point of the shutdown if people will still get paid (later)?

The shutdown is happening because no budget has been passed, and so no money, whether they have it or not, can be allocated towards whatever the federal government spends money on. So the money might sit on the various accounts, but it cannot be spent without passing the budget.

Another issue is that the federal government isn't receiving enough tax revenue to spend on everythign it wants to spend this money on, and so it wants to raise the debt ceiling (that's in reference to not having enough money), but this is not why the shutdown is occurring.

sanjosebmx
04-08-2011, 3:43 PM
don't you know, not funding Planned Parenthood is likened to "bombing innocent people". The Progressive Left has come unhinged and their line in the sand is abortion...

it's on them if the Government shuts down....

Cokebottle
04-08-2011, 3:47 PM
It appears the House Republicans will fail to produce a spending bill that can pass out of the Senate and get Obama's signature before Friday night.
Can't you put your partisanship aside for 10 minutes?

The House has sent 3 legitimate packages to the Senate.

Blame the Senate and Obama for the shutdown. They are the people who are ignoring the will of the American People.
The House of Representatives just flipped from Democrat to Republican control, and the Senate Democrats lost a bunch of seats, because the People did not agree with them and their spending.
If they keep this crap up, 2012 will be a bloodbath for Obama and the Senate.

As far as FFLs, that is primarily state. The BATFE may temporarily stop audits, but they are not required for transfers. DROS and the background check process is handled at the state level and the computers that contain NCIS information will continue to run.

Only "non-essential" processes will be shut down.

If they are "non-essential" they should be permanently shut down.

N6ATF
04-08-2011, 3:54 PM
As far as FFLs, that is primarily state. The BATFE may temporarily stop audits, but they are not required for transfers. DROS and the background check process is handled at the state level and the computers that contain NCIS information will continue to run.

What happens if they "crash"? :43:

socalblue
04-08-2011, 4:01 PM

You don;t understand - the Dems never intended to actually pass a budget, but rather used a series of spending bills to fund government activities. No budget = no dialog = difficult to hold them accountable until long after the fact.

loose_electron
04-08-2011, 4:01 PM

Either you have quickly forgotten or wasn't paying attention at the time.

Back when the 2010 elections were looming the effort by republicans were to push the budget out to the next Congress, with the hopes of better control of the situation with the new House.

Mix of CR (Continuing Resolutions) and locked down budget committees. May have even been some filibusters on it. Delay tactics were all they had at the time, and delay they did. Even when you are not in power, in the US Congress there are plenty of ways to slow the process down.

Boehner wanted to delay the process until Pelosi was out.

Cokebottle
04-08-2011, 4:03 PM
You don;t understand - the Dems never intended to actually pass a budget, but rather used a series of spending bills to fund government activities. No budget = no dialog = difficult to hold them accountable until long after the fact.
+10,000

Skidmark blames the Republicans.
The budget should have been passed last October.

A full month before the People of the United States of America gave a bunch of Democrats the boot.
They had control over the House, Senate, and the White House.
They could have passed anything.

TRICKSTER
04-08-2011, 4:21 PM

Back when the 2010 elections were looming the effort by republicans were to push the budget out to the next Congress, with the hopes of better control of the situation with the new House.

Mix of CR (Continuing Resolutions) and locked down budget committees. May have even been some filibusters on it. Delay tactics were all they had at the time, and delay they did. Even when you are not in power, in the US Congress there are plenty of ways to slow the process down.

So am I understanding this correctly? The Dems were unable to pass a budget? Did they even propose a budget? How were they able to push through this massive spending, but unable to put a budget up for a vote?
It doesn't make sense.

TRICKSTER
04-08-2011, 4:31 PM

I haven't forgotten and I do remember, and so does the internet.

Dems won’t pass budget in 2010
By Jared Allen - 06/22/10 12:01 AM ET

House Democrats will not pass a budget blueprint in 2010, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) will confirm in a speech on Tuesday.
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/104635-dems-wont-pass-budget

"For weeks, Democratic leaders have tried to strike a deal on the budget, which is a non-binding resolution, but to no avail.

The talks triggered splits in the Democratic Caucus, alienating conservative Democrats from their liberal colleagues."

loose_electron
04-08-2011, 4:50 PM
Politics rarely makes sense.

Lets see:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/01/us/budget.html

That was proposed in February 2010. Most of the political BS going on right now is about such tiny things in the big picture.

As for delay? Here is one example:

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/02/10/boehner-cantor-letter-to-obama-outed-as-delaying-tactic.html

That was back in 2010, I am sure there are other examples out there.

I think this is going to get fixed this weekend. Lets see if I am right or wrong.

loose_electron
04-08-2011, 4:55 PM
Trickster - Yup, both parties were responsible at one time or the other. Go figure.

TRICKSTER
04-08-2011, 5:11 PM
Politics rarely makes sense.

Lets see:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/01/us/budget.html

That was proposed in February 2010. Most of the political BS going on right now is about such tiny things in the big picture.

As for delay? Here is one example:

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/02/10/boehner-cantor-letter-to-obama-outed-as-delaying-tactic.html

That was back in 2010, I am sure there are other examples out there.

I think this is going to get fixed this weekend. Lets see if I am right or wrong.

I post an actual news article with quotes from Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) and in response you post a chart and an opinion piece.
Go figure.

Skidmark
04-08-2011, 5:14 PM
Can't you put your partisanship aside for 10 minutes?

The House has sent 3 legitimate packages to the Senate.

Blame the Senate and Obama for the shutdown. They are the people who are ignoring the will of the American People.
The House of Representatives just flipped from Democrat to Republican control, and the Senate Democrats lost a bunch of seats, because the People did not agree with them and their spending.
If they keep this crap up, 2012 will be a bloodbath for Obama and the Senate.

:rolleyes:

The onus for producing spending authorization legislation that will pass out of the Senate and get a President's signature is, and always has been, on the House. Bhoehner is having one heck of a time corralling the various elements in his caucus (aside - what a weak leader the GOP placed as Speaker), and so far, has failed to show any mature leadership on the issue. He's allowed flawed legislation out of the House, which the Senate - no surprise - has voted down.

He should have taken a lesson from the NRA - know the politics of your opposition, and work effectively for what you can get, now, this time. Instead, he succumbs to Tool Party pressure and lets the spending legislation get filled with "culture war" riders and punitive actions, blind to the politics of the Senate, and the President. Bhoehner is a tool, himself, and hardly worthy of holding the seat of Speaker. If there is a shutdown, it falls squarely at his lap.

Only "non-essential" processes will be shut down.

If they are "non-essential" they should be permanently shut down.

Ah, the calm informative portion of your post. Thanks, and good on ya.

loose_electron
04-08-2011, 5:15 PM
11th hour and 59th minute so they can say "we got as much as we could"

Lets see what happens!

"Go Figure"

loose_electron
04-08-2011, 5:23 PM
lets the spending legislation get filled with "culture war" riders

Well stated - Political influence is often fought with the financial aspects of the game. Plus there are a bunch of rules (laws?) in Congress about what can be done in a spending bill, vs. what can be in policy legislation.

However, both parties frequently scramble the two together to push their agenda forward.

I think that this is going to get fixed in the next day or two.
Lets see if I am right or wrong on that one!

crackerman
04-08-2011, 5:27 PM
HEY I"VE GOT AN IDEA!!! CAN WE ANSWER THE QUESTION AS POSED? I DON"T CARE ABOUT THE OTHER **** HERE, WE HAVE PLENTY OF THESE THREADS IN OT!!!!!

That said, how does the shutdown effect guying a gun?
CA probably not a big deal because we have the DROS system.
But outside of CA, will there still be an accesable NICS system?

I know ATF door kickers are still working but the secretary probably won't be there

Cokebottle
04-08-2011, 5:28 PM
Instead, he succumbs to Tool Party pressure
The "Tool Party" pressure is what put him and the House in the position it is today.

He would do well to pay attention to it or risk another power change in the House in 2012.

They are the House of Representatives.
Their job is to represent the feelings of the American People in Washington.
The "Tool Party" (there's your partisan bias showing again) provided a LOT of support for the winners of the 2010 elections. To turn their backs on the people who put them in office makes them no better than the people they replaced who supported Obamacare and allowed the Bush tax cuts to expire.

TRICKSTER
04-08-2011, 5:29 PM
:rolleyes:

The onus for producing spending authorization legislation that will pass out of the Senate and get a President's signature is, and always has been, on the House.

I agree, and who was in charge of the house when this budget was supposed to be done? Wasn't it Pelosi and Hoyer and the Democrats? It sure wasn't Boehner or the Republicans. glad to see we agree on who is responsible for this mess.

TRICKSTER
04-08-2011, 5:35 PM
HEY I"VE GOT AN IDEA!!! CAN WE ANSWER THE QUESTION AS POSED? I DON"T CARE ABOUT THE OTHER **** HERE, WE HAVE PLENTY OF THESE THREADS IN OT!!!!!

That said, how does the shutdown effect guying a gun?
CA probably not a big deal because we have the DROS system.
But outside of CA, will there still be an accesable NICS system?

I know ATF door kickers are still working but the secretary probably won't be there
Good point, but since the OP-Skidmark already answered his own question in post #9, this was obviously a thinly disguised attempt to bash the current congress. It was never a serious question, just an excuse to start a political bashing thread.

Cokebottle
04-08-2011, 5:44 PM
Good point, but since the OP-Skidmark already answered his own question in post #9, this was obviously a thinly disguised attempt to bash the current congress. It was never a serious question, just an excuse to start a political bashing thread.
+1

In the 2A forum... so the thread will likely be moved to OT or simply deleted, since I believe Skidmark is banned from OT.

Skidmark
04-08-2011, 5:47 PM

Not hardly - do not smear me.

It was a perfectly legitimate and serious question, and this the correct forum to ask it. My sincere thanks to the few people who took time to provide factual and informative responses, I have learned from what you shared.

Cokebottle
04-08-2011, 5:51 PM
It was a perfectly legitimate and serious question, and this the correct forum to ask it.
Then go back and edit your original post to say something along the lines of...
It looks like there will be another government shutdown Friday night. What then happens to anyone buying a gun? I assume that background checks would not go through, since nearly every U.S. government agency office will be closed. What other repercussions would follow? Will FFLs have to stop processing purchases and transfers?
This entire section....
It appears the House Republicans will fail to produce a spending bill that can pass out of the Senate and get Obama's signature before Friday night...
...was simply partisan baiting.

Quser.619
04-08-2011, 8:20 PM
DROS is state run & interacts w/ a Federal database. Short answer, there shouldn't be a problem.

As far as the 2010 budget goes, the Democrats had a super majority & choose to pass a CR so they wouldn't be more vulnerable in the 2010 elections a month later. Period. Politics then, politics now. Republicans could not have stopped any budgetary process or prevented a vote on it. Anyone who argues differently is simply uninformed,

Don't bother bringing up the Filibuster since it wasn't available to the House via House rules & the simple fact that budgetary items do not require a 60 vote in the Senate makes any suggestion laughable. Much like blaming the minority party in both houses

N6ATF
04-08-2011, 8:24 PM
DROS is state run & interacts w/ a Federal database. Short answer, there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless Project Doh!Walker breaks the federal database and nobody is there to fix it, which means all NICS-checked gun sales halt?