PDA

View Full Version : 25 post count requirement.

brasscoe
11-07-2006, 6:23 PM
Is there any way to get around the 25 post requirement to post in the for sale section? I donít post much, but do (did) have a good itrader level. I have a limited good rating on gunscal.com as well. Thanks.

Kestryll
11-07-2006, 6:30 PM
The post count rule is to prevent people from just poping in, selling and vanishing.
I've spoken with the Mod in the Marketplace and he will undelete your post.
I think I need to revise that rule to account for long term members who are infrequent posters.

brasscoe
11-07-2006, 6:36 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. Iíll try to post more ;)

ZapThyCat
11-07-2006, 6:37 PM
I don't see something wrong with the rule, I mean you could just go and say something pointless in 25 threads and it wouldn't be too obvious :)

metalhead357
11-07-2006, 7:57 PM
I don't see something wrong with the rule, I mean you could just go and say something pointless in 25 threads and it wouldn't be too obvious :)

What? Like this?

metalhead357
11-07-2006, 7:58 PM
What? Like this?

Or like this:p

I think the 25 rule IS a good thing!!!!! Prevent lil' goofies like Glock 21 from thier nonsense

And Kes- Is the Itrader stats WE HAD (past tense) coming back or are we starting fresh?

gimmejr
11-07-2006, 8:32 PM
Yes the minimum is probably a good thing, although there are alot of people who lurk and read the discussions but dont post.

gimmejr
11-07-2006, 8:37 PM
Houston we have a problem. I thought this might be an issue. I only have two posts showing but I obviously have many posts. Will my posts be deleted if I post in the for sale forum?

olegk
11-07-2006, 8:38 PM
May be we can workaround 25 posts rule by 2 calguns members recommendation?

metalhead357
11-07-2006, 9:03 PM
May be we can workaround 25 posts rule by 2 calguns members recommendation?

Now THAT might work....provided they all aint the same person in disguise;)

blkA4alb
11-07-2006, 9:09 PM
As one of the mods in the for sale forum, thats a helluva lot more work for us.

I'm not complaining, I just like one set of rules that everyone abides by. Having exceptions for this and that just complicates things.

metalhead357
11-07-2006, 9:15 PM
I'm not complaining, I just like one set of rules that everyone abides by. Having exceptions for this and that just complicates things.

Now if you can get the POLITICIANS to do the same then I'd say yeah, ok, but C'mon...EVERYBODY loves an exception when its them:p

HEY! When did you make Mod here??????? (Congrats BTW:) )

blkA4alb
11-07-2006, 9:19 PM
Now if you can get the POLITICIANS to do the same then I'd say yeah, ok, but C'mon...EVERYBODY loves an exception when its them:p

HEY! When did you make Mod here??????? (Congrats BTW:) )
Thanks, been a mod for..a week and a half? But didn't have anything to mod until the for sales came back online :D .

olegk
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Each recommending user has 25+ posts. Anyway I think 25+ posts rule is good enough. Some exceptions can be handled by moderators.

Bryan Whited
11-10-2006, 9:52 PM
It is easy to make posts just to up your post count.

califcowboy
11-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Well let's see how long this takes to get up to 25.

C.G.
11-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Accounting for long term posters who post little would be good.

Since 2004 you've had three posts????:eek:
Man of few words, I guess.

Bryan Whited
11-11-2006, 8:27 AM
25 is just around the corner

Redchevyman
11-11-2006, 8:47 AM
I am still working on my 25

Redchevyman
11-11-2006, 8:47 AM
but I am getting closer

SemiAutoSam
11-11-2006, 9:05 AM
Maybe what kest meant was 25 worthwhile posts.
Like an opinion on something or bringing news to the forum members.

ivanimal
11-11-2006, 10:36 AM
but I am getting closer

Thats funny!:D

ivanimal
11-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Maybe what kest meant was 25 worthwhile posts.
Like an opinion on something or bringing news to the forum members.

We need to be cognizant of the spirit of the rule not necessarily the letter of it.:cool:

762cavalier
11-11-2006, 10:58 AM
We need to be cognizant of the spirit of the rule not necessarily the letter of it.

Geez Ivanimal, If we take that approach we're in the same boat as the DOJ with there new attempts at rulemaking:eek: :D

1hotshooter
11-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I'll add my thoughts to this, because it has directly affected me...

The 25 post rule or senior 100 posts rule are OK...just means I need to continue voicing my opinion...MORE than I'd like...

then again, I'd like special treatment completely...change my member date from 03/06 to the actual 10/05 date I came to enjoy Calguns.
Just because I, never personally, registered doesn't mean that I wasn't a sub-member of a main senior member, and on all the time;

Then, I would have liked to override the 25 post rule, becuase that automatically wouldn't apply to me.

And lastly, make me a senior member, just because I feel like I've been a part of the group and know just about every old member and a couple new members too; With or without 100 posts (if that is actually what makes a senior member); In other words, I feel like a senior member, so just make me one. :)

Not going to happen, huh? :D

blkA4alb
11-11-2006, 8:43 PM
Not going to happen, huh? :D
Nope :D .

ivanimal
11-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Geez Ivanimal, If we take that approach we're in the same boat as the DOJ with there new attempts at rulemaking:eek: :D

Point taken.:eek:

25 posts or no soup for you!:cool:

Zwingli
11-12-2006, 1:05 AM

Really? How do I do that?

xenophobe
11-12-2006, 1:06 AM
Personally, I think it should be 1 month of membership + 25 posts minimum before a member can even see the classifieds...

Any member caught trying to fluff his post count should have their count reduced to 0.

tenpercentfirearms
11-12-2006, 7:39 AM
Remember the KISS principle. 25+ posts or 2 months membership. We don't need the mods running around getting recommendations or any of that bull crap. Just keep it simple.

Schlamoo
11-12-2006, 9:42 PM
This thread is a very good example of why I don't post much on calguns. I do enjoy and have benefitted from many things posted here. But it is the arrogant attitude amongst the "elite" that bothers me. ivanimal, for example, bounces some folks for not meeting the 25 post rule but lets others slide when he feels like it or when HE is interested in thier offering. If your going to make a rule either enforce it or don't. Some of us, no I'm not the only one, find that offensive. By the way, my comment in no way reflects my feeling towards Kestryll, he seems to be a great guy and I wish him the best of luck.

blkA4alb
11-12-2006, 9:58 PM
Schlamoo, I am the one who has been deleting the majority (if not all) of the threads in the marketplace that do not meet the 25 post requirement. Kestryll, the other moderators (Ivananimal included), and myself have been discussing how to handle situations such as the Ferret issue.

We are still working out the kinks in the marketplace and ironing out the rules, give us some time.

I hope you don't hold and resentments against me, for I feel that I have been equal and civil as a moderator. Every person's thread who I have deleted I have sent a PM informing them why, and when possible worked with that person to get them back on track (such as not posting a location.)

Just remember, we are all human, we all make mistakes.

ivanimal
11-12-2006, 10:44 PM
This thread is a very good example of why I don't post much on calguns. I do enjoy and have benefitted from many things posted here. But it is the arrogant attitude amongst the "elite" that bothers me. ivanimal, for example, bounces some folks for not meeting the 25 post rule but lets others slide when he feels like it or when HE is interested in thier offering. If your going to make a rule either enforce it or don't. Some of us, no I'm not the only one, find that offensive. By the way, my comment in no way reflects my feeling towards Kestryll, he seems to be a great guy and I wish him the best of luck.

I originally moved the Ferret thread from the riflemans forum to the for sale forum without regard to post count. My mistake. I felt that the thread was time sensistive and needed to be seen so I opened it after the forum moderators closed it. I was wrong to do that as rules are rules. As to bouncing people for not having 25 posts, I have never done that. Ever, I also have no interest in owning a 50 caliber weapon. I would much rather have a 338 Lapua but even that is a little much for what I like to do, which is hunt. I have spoken to the people at Ferret on the phone and have a high regard for their plan to keep the people of CA in 50 caliber rifles if they want them. If that makes me an elitist so be it. I will close the thread again. They have gotten their free publicity and now can move on towards sales of their rifles.

Kestryll
11-12-2006, 11:30 PM

Ivanimal deleted those posts after discussion with the other Mods and myself.
The rule of 25 posts before posting items for sale serves several purposes.
Two of the most important of these are first, preventing people from randomly joining to use our For Sale forum like a targeted 'Craig's List'. Second it is intended to give some small idea of what the person is like. Granted 25 posts is not a lot to give a view of someone's character but we tried to strike a balance here.
Obviously post like +1, . and 8 more to go! do nothing for either of these purposes.

The Ferret issue is another thing altogether, we are still working out the details of how to deal with known vendors. Chances are they are not posting a lot here but on the other hand we know who they are so they present a special case.

Calguns is both the same board and internet family it has been but it is also a growing and evolving forum and some things need to be worked out. We'll get there.

metalhead357
11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
This thread is a very good example of why I don't post much on calguns. I do enjoy and have benefitted from many things posted here. But it is the arrogant attitude amongst the "elite" that bothers me. .

Schlamoo! Dude, man; C'mon. Its an internet board. If you've actually benefitted from something(s) here then SPEAK UP just like you did here- Everyone likes to know if they've actually helped someone; feedback is a GREAT thing. We need the vocalizing! Not just here but out on the ranges, In the stores, the malls, the classrooms, and the media. Staying silent unless/until *you* need something is counter productive to the rest of us! Add man! Add to the dicussion JUST like you did here....

If there are elite here that bug ya' hit the Ignore button! We're all human and somtimes need that re-affirmed ((as Metalhead takes off his superman cape for the evening:p )) so chime it, speak up and speak your mind just as ya' did here guy. Chances are there's something/someone here that can benefit from whatever you've been holding back; and see! even vocalizing your displeasure at the 25 post rule might just sway things to the way they should be.

Hope to see more of your posts:)

50ae
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Well, my vote is to allow the known vendors to post for sale items w/o the 25 post count. It is these vendors that keep us in guns and parts and I for one would love to see them offer special deals to us. Maybe they would even buy some ad space and maybe allow our fine list owner some spare cash.

Technical Ted
11-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Then there's guys with a zero post count.

Kestryll
11-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Okay Ted, how did you post that and still have zero posts?

Ted's in a wormhole!!!! Someone throw him a quantum filament!!!

C.G.
11-13-2006, 12:29 AM

We both saw a post that doesn't exist!:eek: I hope SemiAutoSam doesn't get hold of this.:D

Technical Ted
11-13-2006, 12:34 AM

It's technical :D

xenophobe
11-13-2006, 12:57 AM
Remember the KISS principle. 25+ posts or 2 months membership. We don't need the mods running around getting recommendations or any of that bull crap. Just keep it simple.

With vbulletin, it's pretty easy and can be automated. Junior member status can be set to a specific post count, and have restricted access (like not being able to see the for sale forums at all.

99% of the deals that go bad on a message board forum are when people are dealing with noobs that don't know better, don't know at all, or are just out to rip people off.

Having a mandatory 'get to know you' period is very important.

wayoutwest
11-13-2006, 1:13 AM
Well, my vote is to allow the known vendors to post for sale items w/o the 25 post count. It is these vendors that keep us in guns and parts and I for one would love to see them offer special deals to us. Maybe they would even buy some ad space and maybe allow our fine list owner some spare cash.

I would say yes and no, I would be for a special Calguns deal but I really dont want it to look like the ARFcom equipment exchange with pages of dealers ads.

five.five-six
11-13-2006, 2:27 AM

how?...

five.five-six
11-13-2006, 2:27 AM

seriously how?

five.five-six
11-13-2006, 2:28 AM

I just do not get your meening??

treelogger
11-13-2006, 9:42 AM
Two weeks!

Now serious: Hello Technical Ted. Could you maybe stick around a little longer? And even if your post count is and remains zero, posting occasionally wouldn't hurt either.

paradox
11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
I think that having a 25 post floor is a good idea, but we need a mod over ride as well. There are those who are personally known by vocal members here, yet do not post often, who should be able to make use of the facilities. Some folks just donít have that much to say. This problem could be remedied by a referral system or by allowing those who have been a member for a few months to post.

Lastly there is the case of the widow who wants to sell her dead husbandís guns: we all benefit from the opportunity to ppt off list pistols and other interesting baubles before the rest of the nation. This problem is probably best cured by a mod over ride. We should have a tacked thread telling people to pm certain mods if they wish to sell with a <25 post count and if the request doesnít seem like a spamming to the mod, they allow it.

Kestryll
11-13-2006, 12:02 PM
There is an override in place, written as part of the rule, it's even been used already.

1) A seller must have a history of at least 25 posts with the board outside of the For Sale forum. Anyone found posting within the For Sale forum with a post count of less than 25 shall find their items deleted immediately and without further notice. The Calguns For Sale forums exist as a service to it's members so we ask that you be an active member to post.
In special instances this rule may be waived by contacting the Administrator.

HkUSP45
11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
post whore thread??:p

paradox
11-13-2006, 1:51 PM
There is an override in place, written as part of the rule, it's even been used already.

Yeah, I knew it was SOP, but I didn't remember reading the highlighted line when I read the sticky rules.

So I guess +1 for the status quo.

ivanimal
11-13-2006, 5:26 PM
This has become the thread to nowhere.:cool: