PDA

View Full Version : Calif. Assembly guards to carry guns full-time

Southwest Chuck
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Calif. Assembly guards to carry guns full-time (http://townhall.com/news/us/2011/04/06/calif_assembly_guards_to_carry_guns_full-time)

California Assembly sergeants previously were armed only when threat levels were high or during large events, ............

Armed California Highway Patrol officers also guard the Capitol around the clock, and visitors must pass through metal detectors before entering the building.

"For me, that wasn't good enough," said Assemblywoman Fiona Ma, D-San Francisco, who said she has sometimes felt threatened by members of the public.

If they can't get CCW permits automatically for self defense (SB 610), what are the odds they will they will expand the program that supplies security for members "outside" the capital who feel "threatened"? :rolleyes:

Super Spy
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
If they weren't such total douchebags maybe they would have less to worry about....

Flintlock Tom
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Can't these legislators just call 911 if they are attacked or threatened?!

What about taxpayers who "feel threatened?" Can we get armed guards too?

Can we get a weather report from Hell?

Mike494
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Calif. Assembly guards to carry guns full-time (http://townhall.com/news/us/2011/04/06/calif_assembly_guards_to_carry_guns_full-time)

If they can't get CCW permits automatically for self defense (SB 610), what are the odds they will they will expand the program that supplies security for members "outside" the capital who feel "threatened"? :rolleyes:

I want a state paid security guard too! I sometimes feel "threatened".

BigDogatPlay
04-06-2011, 12:15 PM
The Sergeants at Arms of both houses of the Legislature have long been peace officers. And they've long been authorized the use and carry of firearms. All this amounts to is a policy change on the part of the Assembly.

And as noted the California Highway Patrol, peace officers, protects the buildings and both CHP and State Parks peace officers cover the grounds. The protection is layered, well trained and very well armed. Which makes the harpy chatter from Fiona Ma and others about feeling unsafe sound kind of like Chicken Little.

Bear in mind the political power and symbolic issues as well.... the Sergeants at Arms are controlled directly by the two houses of the Legislature. The two LEA involved are both controlled directly by the Executive Branch.

gunn
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Let the legislators carry guns. IMO, we shouldn't stop them. Then, we'll see if their protected class can hold up to judicial scrutiny.
As for arming California Assembly sergeants (the OPs topic), let them. We're already paying for the security anyway so why not let them actually do their jobs.
-g

N6ATF
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM
It's ridiculous. The only politicians who "need" to be protected are the ones who respect civil rights, and are therefore at a high risk of assassination. The majority don't, and are at a risk approaching ZERO.

Surprised Lori "Ballistic Vest" Saldana didn't get a quote in, libeling law-abiding gun owners again.

m1aowner
04-06-2011, 1:06 PM
Countering guns with more guns I see. Fancy that, it does work!

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 1:14 PM
I want a state paid security guard too! I sometimes feel "threatened".

I feel threatened by my politicians' apparent desires to run rough shod over my Constitutional rights in their attempt to build a government Utopia. Can I get state paid security guards as well?

ubet
04-06-2011, 1:15 PM
I am scared, with all these guards running around armed, their IS SURE TO BE BLOOD IN THE STREETS!!!! We just cant arm guards, its not a right, it is a privilege, to be armed. It will be like the ok corral at the capital, their will be shoot outs daily between armed guards over squables, like who left the toilet seat up, or who ate whos sammich out of the community refrigerator. This is ridiculous, guards who are now armed, will probably be holding up and robbing the unarmed guards, and belittling those poor unarmed guards. The whole institution will FALL/FAIL if just any and every guard is armed. Heck they will probably just start opening up on visitors to the capital if they dont like how they look, or if they want their Ipod!

:rolleyes:

stix213
04-06-2011, 3:17 PM
I predict shootouts over parking spaces

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 4:08 PM
I am scared, with all these guards running around armed, their IS SURE TO BE BLOOD IN THE STREETS!!!! We just cant arm guards, its not a right, it is a privilege, to be armed. It will be like the ok corral at the capital, their will be shoot outs daily between armed guards over squables, like who left the toilet seat up, or who ate whos sammich out of the community refrigerator. This is ridiculous, guards who are now armed, will probably be holding up and robbing the unarmed guards, and belittling those poor unarmed guards. The whole institution will FALL/FAIL if just any and every guard is armed. Heck they will probably just start opening up on visitors to the capital if they dont like how they look, or if they want their Ipod!

:rolleyes:

I think that you forgot to mention the shootouts over fender-benders in the parking lots. Otherwise I think that you managed to get most of the Brady Bunch's talking points into one paragraph.

ubet
04-07-2011, 5:24 PM
I think that you forgot to mention the shootouts over fender-benders in the parking lots. Otherwise I think that you managed to get most of the Brady Bunch's talking points into one paragraph.

I forgot the BIGGEST one though, "what about the children?"