PDA

View Full Version : Breyer's take on COTUS

vantec08
04-06-2011, 10:40 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPREME_COURT_BREYER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-04-05-22-38-05

5th paragraph says it all

G60
04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
This is a well-known fact.

stag1500
04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
5th paragraph says it all

You're right. He's really a despicable human being.

Bhobbs
04-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Of course he believes that. When you can change the meaning of the Constitution you can say that just about anything is Constitutional.

CalBear
04-06-2011, 11:23 AM
The only reapplication of Constitutional values should be extensions of existing rights to new technologies and situations. Eg the 4th amendment doesn't mention the internet, but it should be obvious that this is just a new form of "papers and possessions" and should be protected. It's simply wrong to write off the right to keep and bear arms because conditions have changed in the country. Same goes for the other enumerated rights.

POLICESTATE
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Fortunately with the 1st amendment I am fully within my rights to say that in my opinion, Breyer is an un-American tool.

Heatseeker
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Asked about retirement, Breyer laughed and shook his head.

"Have I thought about it? No," he said.

This part sucks....

Zak
04-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Of course he believes that. When you can change the meaning of the Constitution you can say that just about anything is Constitutional.

Exactly, with Breyer's logic we can walk all over the Constitution as we please as long as we have a "pragmatic view toward present circumstances" :rolleyes:

Bhobbs
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
This part sucks....

It wouldn't do any good for him to retire now as Obummer would just replace him with another anti gun freedom hating liberal.

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 1:52 PM

If SCOTUS gets its way and all of the judges get to be activists (ie. they get to write and interpret the laws), can we at least fire all of the politicians and save some money?

Why have two branches that are responsible for writing laws? If we're going to do without the "checks and balances", we can surely do without the extra bodies, salaries and benefits.

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 1:57 PM
The only reapplication of Constitutional values should be extensions of existing rights to new technologies and situations. Eg the 4th amendment doesn't mention the internet, but it should be obvious that this is just a new form of "papers and possessions" and should be protected. It's simply wrong to write off the right to keep and bear arms because conditions have changed in the country. Same goes for the other enumerated rights.

This is also the beauty of the Constitution. It doesn't pretend to be the "be all, end all, once and forever source of all". There is the built in method to address changes in time and technology-the amendment.

Our politicians, and unfortunately now our judges, just don't like the constraints placed upon them to try to get amendments passed. It is, after all, a pesky little thing to require 3/4ths of the states agree. How can one be "elite" AND get 3/4ths of the "common rabble" to go along?

Heatseeker
04-06-2011, 2:13 PM
It wouldn't do any good for him to retire now as Obummer would just replace him with another anti gun freedom hating liberal.

I know, I know(heavy sigh). But the guy is a douche bag and it irks me that I'm paying his salary.

p7m8jg
04-06-2011, 2:32 PM
Did somebody say "COITUS"?

Mute
04-06-2011, 2:36 PM
It's good he doesn't retire now and get replaced by a younger and even more liberal candidate. Hopefully his time to go will come under a President who respects the Constitution more than this guy.

Wherryj
04-06-2011, 5:11 PM
It's good he doesn't retire now and get replaced by a younger and even more liberal candidate. Hopefully his time to go will come under a President who respects the Constitution more than this guy.

Although I don't foresee a politician who respects the Constitution appearing during my lifetime, it would be difficult to imagine a politician who respected the Constitution any less than the current President-or Breyer.