PDA

View Full Version : Buy Ruger 10/22 Match and change stock? Or guy cheap 10/22 and modify?

SDM44
04-06-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm wanting to get a 10/22 rifle, but I want it configured in a certain way. I want to get one that has the thicker .92" barrel, similar to what comes on the Match models. I also want to put the Hogue stock onto it, along with a picatinny rail so I can easily mount a scope.

My question is, is is better to buy a cheap "regular" 10/22 for $199 and then buy the .92" barrel for another $100, and also the Hogue stock ($70) and picatinny rail ($15) and build up the regular 10/22?

Or should I look into just buying the Match model for $349, and then get the Hogue stock and picatinny rail for a little more? Is the receiver/trigger better on the Match model compared to the 'regular' 10/22 model?

I haven't found any stores nearby me that carries the 10/22 Tactical Hogue model, but then on Ruger's side it's also pretty expensive.

Also, if I install a picatinny rail onto the receiver, does the receiver need to be tapped by a gunsmith? Can I install the picatinny rail myself with minimal tools?

Agustav
04-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I have both the Target Tactical and plain jane 10/22. On top of the upgrade to the regular 10/22 you mentioned, the Target match also comes with better trigger and polished bolt. If the Target Tactical is the exact setup you want, I say go for it and you won't be disappointed. If not, build your own!

Fadedline
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I bought my target tactical online at Impact Guns. Best price I found @ $399.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676012305.html

It has all you want in a factory made package. Very accurate out of the box with good ammo. Only mods Ive done to mine is buffer and auto bolt release. Some trigger work next and its done.

chickenfried
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
The target model trigger is better than the standard model. But it's not great, you'll still end up upgrading the parts or replacing the trigger. My vote is buy a standard model and build it up. Since you're replacing the stock right off the bat.

Kryptyde
04-06-2011, 2:01 PM
Sounds like there are more questions you need to answer like:

Are you planning on upgrading the trigger?
Are you planning on changing parts of the action?
How far do you want to go in pursuit of quality/accuracy?

Any way you slice it if you can be happy with a factory model then that will definately be cheapest. Customizing is always more costly than you plan for.

Oh and just because you dont see it in a local store doesnt mean you cant get it...most FFL will allow you to purchase elsewhere and pick it up from them (for a fee).

SDM44
04-06-2011, 2:43 PM
I'm just looking for a fun plinker that I'll use here & there...

- Match trigger would be nice, but not a deal breaker or something I'll be changing anytime soon.
- No plans on changing the action.
- Accuracy isn't that important since I don't plan to shoot it more than 50 yards... 25 for the most part.

I've always wanted a 10/22, but I would use my 15-22 more as a plinker/range gun. I figure the 10/22 is a good beginner rifle for friends or nephews/nieces to use, but I still want it to look appealing to me or else I'll never want to touch it.

I do want the thicker / bigger diameter barrel because I like the look of it, and the Hogue stock since I like Hogue grips and how they feel. I also want a picatinny weaver rail so I can mount a scope. Those are my main criteria from what I want in a 10/22.... for now at least. The Ruger 10/22 Tactical Match with Hogue OverMolded stock would be the ideal rifle, but the MSRP on Ruger's site is $555 :(

Eljay
04-06-2011, 3:24 PM
I'd start with the cheapest one you're willing to shoot and start tweaking it up as needed. My Sporter with tech sights ($70ish iron sights), a sling, and about $50 of parts in the action (hammer, sear, etc.) is plenty accurate for plinking. I can easily keep everything in a 1" square at 25 yards shooting prone, and on a good day 10 round groups are about the size of the tip of my pinky. I'm not sure what it could do off of a bench.

re: the rail - LaRue Tactical has a very nice picatinny rail for the 10/22 - I don't think that's something you want to skimp on - but if you are OK with a weaver rail it actually comes with one, or at least did with my Sporter model. It already had the screw holes, you just screw it on.

Kryptyde
04-07-2011, 2:26 PM
The Ruger 10/22 Tactical Match with Hogue OverMolded stock would be the ideal rifle, but the MSRP on Ruger's site is $555 :(

For what you are looking for this would likely be the best deal. If you price out the basic 10/22 and then add a bull barrel and Hogue stock and other items seperately I tihnk you will find yourself at that price or beyond. Some savvy web shopping will probably find you a better price than Ruger's MSRP anyhow.

Customizing 10/22's yourself gets real expensive real quick.