PDA

View Full Version : ...about having my gun in the car

Socalman
04-05-2011, 8:32 PM
What is the legal situation of the following:

I have my Ruger .357 (unloaded and locked) in the glove box. On the floor of the back I have my emergency get home bag that has some ammo in it, including 6 rounds in a speed loader.

I could, with some difficult stretching reach the bag, grab my speed loader and be ready to fire in seconds.

I am stopped by an LEO for a minor traffic violation and while getting my registration from the glove box he sees my GP100. I inform him it is unloaded.

What are the legal ramifications?

BTW, I do not yet carry the above described items, though I do own them! :D

repubconserv
04-05-2011, 8:36 PM
I think gun in glove = illegal, cause the glove is not considered a locked container

However if the gun itself is locked? maybe... good question

paul0660
04-05-2011, 8:37 PM
98% chance Troll.

capo
04-05-2011, 8:37 PM
I am stopped by an LEO for a minor traffic violation and while getting my registration from the glove box he sees my GP100. I inform him it is unloaded.

You can't use the glovebox as your locked compartment, but you can lock it in a lockbox then put that into the glove compartment. If you reach for your registration and a cop sees a gun there, you'll be informing him that it's unloaded, but you'll be doing so with his gun on the side of your face most likely.

Keep it elsewhere...somewhere that you do NOT have to reach for during a routine traffic stop. Keep it in a locked container. The ammo can also be in that container as long as it is not loaded in the cylinder.

This is all as I recall, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Chris J
04-05-2011, 8:40 PM
Not legal to carry a handgun in the glove box, loaded or not, locked or unlocked. Handguns must be carried unloaded in a locked container, or unloaded and in the locked trunk of the vehicle.

Get a hard, lockable case, like a Samsonite briefcase or camera case, and carry the gun and ammo in it. It is OK for the ammo to be in the same case, just not in the gun.

john.t.singh
04-05-2011, 8:43 PM
It's actually legal to keep unloaded sitting in seat in plain view next to you I believe...

Librarian
04-05-2011, 8:43 PM

I have my Ruger .357 (unloaded and locked) in the glove box. On the floor of the back I have my emergency get home bag that has some ammo in it, including 6 rounds in a speed loader.

I could, with some difficult stretching reach the bag, grab my speed loader and be ready to fire in seconds.

Lock on the gun itself is meaningless - leave it home.

To carry a handgun concealed in a vehicle, must be in a completely enclosed locked container. Trunk counts, glove box is explicitly called out as not acceptable.

In your scenario, arrest for violating PC12025.

If your get-home bag can be locked, do that and keep the revolver locked in it. Ammo in the same bag is OK.

Cokebottle
04-05-2011, 8:49 PM
I think gun in glove = illegal, cause the glove is not considered a locked container
Oh, it can be a locked container, but the PC specifies "Other than the glove box or utility compartment" so it does not qualify as a locked container for legal gun storage.
However if the gun itself is locked? maybe... good questionDepending on how it is locked... but if a cop can "see" the GP100, I assume the OP means the child-safe lock.

That lock does not meet the PC requirements for "locked container"
100% of that device's legal requirements were met the moment you stepped through the door of the gun shop. It serves ZERO legal purpose for transportation.

Cokebottle
04-05-2011, 8:51 PM
Not legal to carry a handgun in the glove box, loaded or not, locked or unlocked. Handguns must be carried unloaded in a locked container, or unloaded and in the locked trunk of the vehicle.

Get a hard, lockable case, like a Samsonite briefcase or camera case, and carry the gun and ammo in it. It is OK for the ammo to be in the same case, just not in the gun.
+10,000

Right on the money. FUD-Free advice.

Cokebottle
04-05-2011, 8:52 PM
It's actually legal to keep unloaded sitting in seat in plain view next to you I believe...
That's a can of worms that should not be opened in this thread.

Too many restrictions (gun free school zones) and cops who aren't aware of the law.

Zimz
04-05-2011, 9:05 PM
Troll...

...who in their right mind would consider putting a firearm in a position where you would have to be reaching close to it for required information during a traffic stop. There is a reason cops stand slightly behind your window when questioning you. They have a perfect tactical advantage over you and a clear view of anything you might be reaching for.

That's the best way to get yourself shot, loaded or not. If this is a legitimate question, see above posts. Keep it in a locked container so there's no hint a firearm is accessible.

Andric
04-05-2011, 9:51 PM
So another question:

Gun is unloaded and locked in a section of bail out bag in trunk.
Magazines in another part of the same bag which is unlocked but they are loaded.

Do I need to remove bullets from the magazine.

killmime1234
04-05-2011, 9:58 PM
So another question:

Gun is unloaded and locked in a section of bail out bag in trunk.
Magazines in another part of the same bag which is unlocked but they are loaded.

Do I need to remove bullets from the magazine.

Nope. Guns and loaded magazines can be in the same [locked] container (even the same pocket of your bag) as long as there isn't a loaded mag in the gun.

ETA: See here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California)

mag360
04-06-2011, 3:19 PM
just keep it in a locked bag at least, under a seat.

stitchnicklas
04-06-2011, 3:26 PM
:troll: questions...

MasterYong
04-06-2011, 3:30 PM
C'mon with the troll accusations guys...

...based on his total of four posts, if you read them, it looks like he is very new to guns. Asking about Mosins at Big 5 and his first 10/22. We need to be nicer to the new shooters.

IGOTDIRT4U
04-06-2011, 3:32 PM

Until you get to a school zone...

MoBait
04-06-2011, 3:38 PM
I seriously doubt you will get the chance to say much after he sees you reaching for a handgun.

If you decide to put it in your trunk, unlocked, make sure you cannot access the trunk from the interior...i.e. fold down back seats.

N6ATF
04-06-2011, 3:42 PM
I seriously doubt you will get the chance to say much after he sees you reaching for a handgun.

If you decide to put it in your trunk, unlocked, make sure you cannot access the trunk from the interior...i.e. fold down back seats.

Yep, lock out those seats from the trunk side, and also turn the key in your trunk opposite the direction you turn to open it; then the release next to your drivers seat will be disabled.

Oceanbob
04-06-2011, 3:53 PM

Read this thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=416408&highlight=locked

Joewy
04-06-2011, 3:57 PM
Troll...

...who in their right mind would consider putting a firearm in a position where you would have to be reaching close to it for required information during a traffic stop. There is a reason cops stand slightly behind your window when questioning you. They have a perfect tactical advantage over you and a clear view of anything you might be reaching for.

That's the best way to get yourself shot, loaded or not. If this is a legitimate question, see above posts. Keep it in a locked container so there's no hint a firearm is accessible.

People do come from other states where it is perfectly legal to have a loaded handgun anywhere in your car or person.

Socalman
04-06-2011, 4:22 PM
Yes, I am a fairly new advocate of my 2nd amendment rights and new gun owner. There is a reason for posing the question; so I don't f up. Everyone take care, I am learning, even though I now qualify for some senior discounts.

Andric
04-06-2011, 5:24 PM
Nope. Guns and loaded magazines can be in the same [locked] container (even the same pocket of your bag) as long as there isn't a loaded mag in the gun.

ETA: See here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Defining_loaded_in_California)

Thanks!

XDshooter
04-06-2011, 5:38 PM

This is slightly misleading. If by locked/unlocked you mean a trigger lock or similar then yes. If you mean container, then you are wrong.

If a handgun is in a locked container and then put in a glove box, it is still in a locked container. Perfectly legal.

-

stix213
04-06-2011, 5:41 PM

I hate seeing this suggested to newbies. Might as well tell him to go UOC down at the mall as some kind of good idea, and give him no clue of what to expect or be careful of when he does so...

And to the OP, good of you to come here seeking advice before doing something you were concerned about. If only everyone did that before getting in trouble for CA's nonsensical laws :( Librarian as always gave a correct answer.