PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased first gun (Ruger MKIII), suggestions for cleaning kits, ears, etc?

LiberalShooter
04-05-2011, 5:20 PM
I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading over the last several weeks in order to make a decision on which handgun I wanted to purchase.

I finally settled on the Ruger Mark III Competition. I tried the S&W 22a, the Browning Buckmark, and several of the Ruger Mark III's (Target 5.5, Hunter 6.78, Competition 6.78). In the end, the Mark III Competition won out after I started making nice tight groups with the rental gun at the range, better than any of the others I had tried.

So, my shopping list currently looks like this:

Cleaning Kit
Small-sized gun safe (not planning any rifle purchases in the near future)
Ear Protection

Anyone have any suggestions on the above? Where & What to purchase, etc.

I'm also curious about adding optical sights, or getting some sort of colored front sight. I did notice when I was shooting at the range today, that if the center of the target is a big black circle, it's harder (for me) to find the center of the circle when both the front and rear sights are black.

I do plan on putting several hundred rounds through the gun with before seriously considering any modifications.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked, and my new toy becomes mine at 4pm on April 15th. How rich that irony is. :)

hatidua
04-05-2011, 5:57 PM
If the trigger is good, have at it. If not, order a Volquartsen trigger kit, it's not hard to install on your own.

Above and beyond that, get a bunch of mags and a mag loader and toss a bunch of lead, keep the extractor clean and you should be all set.

Iron sights are just fine, skip the desire to pimp it with a red-dot, it won't help your accuracy at all.

glockman19
04-05-2011, 6:13 PM
Welcome to Cal Guns. Congrats on your purchase. Get some eye protection and ammo and you're good to go.

LiberalShooter
04-05-2011, 6:21 PM
If the trigger is good
How do I know if the trigger is good?

Get some eye protection and ammo and you're good to go.
I actually already have eyeglasses purchased in CA that are impact resistant, so I'm good there. I also picked up a brick of Federal ammo when I got the gun (on sale at Turners). All set there too. :) Now it's just a waiting game.

sudo
04-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Get yourself an Ultimate Clip Loader. If you don't know what is is, google it. I just received mine last week, and boy does it look neat. I can't wait to try it out when I pick up my Mark III Target this weekend!

nagorb
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading over the last several weeks in order to make a decision on which handgun I wanted to purchase.

I finally settled on the Ruger Mark III Competition. I tried the S&W 22a, the Browning Buckmark, and several of the Ruger Mark III's (Target 5.5, Hunter 6.78, Competition 6.78). In the end, the Mark III Competition won out after I started making nice tight groups with the rental gun at the range, better than any of the others I had tried.

So, my shopping list currently looks like this:

Cleaning Kit
Small-sized gun safe (not planning any rifle purchases in the near future)
Ear Protection

Anyone have any suggestions on the above? Where & What to purchase, etc.

I'm also curious about adding optical sights, or getting some sort of colored front sight. I did notice when I was shooting at the range today, that if the center of the target is a big black circle, it's harder (for me) to find the center of the circle when both the front and rear sights are black.

I do plan on putting several hundred rounds through the gun with before seriously considering any modifications.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked, and my new toy becomes mine at 4pm on April 15th. How rich that irony is. :)

I wouldn't plan on that:43:

I would stick with the stock sights and trigger for now.

jackandblood
04-06-2011, 5:41 AM
haha. ya you'll be itching for a 10 22 soon. I was sold Tetra's cleaning kit, not too happy with it.

you'll want a pull through bore cleaning, nylon brush. and a bore snake, a pull through long cloth. Lubricant is iffy. I'd go with rem oil, a spray that can be applied to the pull throughs and can spray to reach those troublesome nooks in the breech. q-tips can be used to clean up the inards . you dont really need a safe but if you insist, Turners has some mini-vaults that look decent.

I like howard leights ear plugs. effective, cheap, and easier to fit in a compact range bag than muffs.

I wouldnt replace the trigger before throughly using the stock one, trigger mechanism replacements are expensive and you may like the stock trigger fine.

welcome and have fun.

Kryptyde
04-06-2011, 9:19 AM
For barrel cleaning (on any gun) the boresnake is a good bet.

I actually prefer the Patchworm from 20/20 Concepts for a couple reasons. Its basically a peice of weed wacker line with little beads that fit on the end that are sized to your firearm. I like it over my boresnake because:

1- It doesnt require gravity to get the brass weight to slide through the barrel
2- It uses normal patches which I can examine after use to see how clean things are
3- You know there isnt any dust/grit/debris on the patch since it is new
4- You dont have to buy one for each caliber...it comes with a set of color coded beads for various calibers
5- I can better control how much solvent I'm putting through the barrel
6- Its only about $11

brassburnz
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Don't use a Boresnake. I've ruined the chamber of one of my match barrels with a Boresnake. The wire bristles will chew up the extractor cutout.

Go with the Patchworm. http://patchworm.com/
You always pull the crud out and remove it with the patch instead of pushing it back and forth in the barrel. Right after I finish shooting, I run a couple of patches through the warm barrel. Cleans everything right up.

Best cleaning kit around. Probably also the cheapest.

For barrel cleaning (on any gun) the boresnake is a good bet.

I actually prefer the Patchworm from 20/20 Concepts for a couple reasons. Its basically a peice of weed wacker line with little beads that fit on the end that are sized to your firearm. I like it over my boresnake because:

1- It doesnt require gravity to get the brass weight to slide through the barrel
2- It uses normal patches which I can examine after use to see how clean things are
3- You know there isnt any dust/grit/debris on the patch since it is new
4- You dont have to buy one for each caliber...it comes with a set of color coded beads for various calibers
5- I can better control how much solvent I'm putting through the barrel
6- Its only about $11

MrMarco
04-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I agree with most of the comments above including just shooting it first until it's broken in before spending money on extra sights, etc. I have a Mark 22/45 Mark II and all I've done to it so far is paint the front sight orange and put a hogue grip sleeve on it. It's very accurate as is, so I've made the same mods to my girlfriend's new Mark III.

I also agree with buying a few extra mags and the Ultimate Cliploader - it works well.

BayAreaShooter
04-06-2011, 1:18 PM
Check these out. It will make seeing the front sight much easier.

http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/14/

I would say just shoot it for now but if the sights are a problem than changing them should be a simple fix. They also make paint for the sights which might be a better option for a first time gun owner. I'm not sure what the procedure is to change the sights on a mark III.

LiberalShooter
04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Well, I picked my gun up yesterday afternoon. The first thing I did with it last night was to fieldstrip and clean the gun. After reading many posts and watching a bunch of videos taking this gun down, I had the manual out and followed along step by step. The takedown went pretty much without a hitch, but I did have to pull up the "cheese and dingleberry" video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHJm2P4kP0) to successfully get the gun back together. Total reassembly time was probably about an hour as I was purposefully going slowly and because I had to disassemble several times. I did the job again tonight and only had to watch the video once and had the gun reassembled in about 15 minutes. I'm sure I'll get faster the more times I do it. For now, I don't see myself buying the SpeedStrip kit (http://majesticarms.com/id10.html).

I took the gun down to the range today and spent about an hour killing paper. I did pretty well and was able to put three shots in the 10 ring at ~20-22 yards from a 10 shot magazine. All but one shot were in the black center area. I really want to do some outdoor shooting and may need to head to Raahauge's in the next couple of weeks. I was only able to stay at the range for a little over an hour as my back has been bothering me quite a lot, and holding this gun at arms length does wear on the upper back. I'm hopeful that after some chiro visits that I'll be back up to full capacity.

For cleaning purposes, I took people's advice and got the Patch Worm kit (http://patchworm.com/patchworm.html), and it seems to be working nicely. I added a 4 oz bottle of CLP (http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp) for cleaning purposes and use it on patches that I pull through the barrel. I also found some specialized q-tips (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000142MGA/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=) my wife uses for makeup removal (or application) that have a nice pointed end on one side, and a flat-ish end on the other. Real useful for getting stuff out of the nooks and crannies of the gun.

For hearing protection, I originally purchased a set of Howard Leight electronic ear muffs, but when I got them, they had a buzzing sound in them at low volumes. I returned those and got a set of Browning Midas (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0MSC6) electronic ear muffs and was happy with the way they performed at the range today.

I ended up getting a small safe that should easily be able to hold 2-3 handguns and ammo. I'm not thrilled about having the ammo in the same safe as the gun, but that can't be helped at the moment. If I do start getting into long guns, I'll buy a full-sized safe and this smaller one can be repurposed to just store ammo.

Thanks again for the comments and advice. It was extremely helpful.

chesterthehero
04-17-2011, 10:43 AM
congrats

as for the trigger... if you dont have an issue with it then there is none.. the stock trigger is not great but its not that bad either.. get a few thousand rounds through it and it will smooth out a bit.. after that if you feel like spending some money on it then go ahead..

sudo
04-17-2011, 1:30 PM
For hearing protection, I originally purchased a set of Howard Leight electronic ear muffs, but when I got them, they had a buzzing sound in them at low volumes. I returned those and got a set of Browning Midas (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0MSC6) electronic ear muffs and was happy with the way they performed at the range today.

It always puzzles me why people choose to use muffs instead of plugs. Plugs have a higher sound attenuation, are more compact, and are cheaper. After taking these characteristics into account, I come to the conclusion that plugs are the more effective solution.

Does anyone care to share their insight into this matter? :confused:

Tank 57
04-17-2011, 6:00 PM
Mostly personal preference on hearing protection.I'm a RSO and the electronic muffs are better for hearing range commands and instruction.Also cleaner.I alternate between both,Muffs sometime interfere with a good check weld on some rifles.For really loud stuff,I wear both.

Dutch3
04-17-2011, 8:33 PM
I prefer muffs, as I do not like the sensation of having anything stuck in my ears. It may sound odd, but those squishy earplugs drive me nuts after about 2 minutes.

red_eyez
04-17-2011, 9:24 PM
I use both, ear plugs only when less shooters present. Double up with ear muffs when shooting bigger calibers, or shooters around are on their big ones.

sudo
04-17-2011, 9:56 PM
I use both, ear plugs only when less shooters present. Double up with ear muffs when shooting bigger calibers, or shooters around are on their big ones.

Interesting, I've never considered wearing both at once. I'll have to get a pair of muffs and try it out sometime. :walkman:

Ubermcoupe
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
In fact, there is a calguns GB on MSA electronic ears here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=416565) Congrats and Welcome! :D

rkt88edmo
04-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Even with the patchworm, go easy, you don't need to be getting that barrel squeaky clean all the time. Keeping the bolt and chamber clean just needs q-tips and cloth.

Don't lube the bolt, it just mucks it up and slows it down. Check rimfirecentral, those guys should have all the best tips on tech for the MKIII. I love my MKIIs.

LiberalShooter
04-17-2011, 11:07 PM
It always puzzles me why people choose to use muffs instead of plugs. Plugs have a higher sound attenuation, are more compact, and are cheaper. After taking these characteristics into account, I come to the conclusion that plugs are the more effective solution.

Does anyone care to share their insight into this matter? :confused:

I'm with the other folks who don't like the feeling of stuff crammed into the ears.

nagorb
04-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Even with the patchworm, go easy, you don't need to be getting that barrel squeaky clean all the time. Keeping the bolt and chamber clean just needs q-tips and cloth.

Don't lube the bolt, it just mucks it up and slows it down. Check rimfirecentral, those guys should have all the best tips on tech for the MKIII. I love my MKIIs.

Do you use dry lube, or none at all on the bolt?

BOFH
04-17-2011, 11:10 PM

I run electronic muffs turned all the way up with plugs. Good combo as you can hear pretty good until the muffs cut the sound.

Congrats on the MKIII. I have a MKIII 'Hunter' with VQ guts, its a joy to shoot. When we go to the range it always goes with us. My advice is to shoot it a lot in stock configuration before you change anything, many people just get right to the mods. That said, Ruger sells some nice cocobollo thumb rest grips for about $30 that are a great mod for cheap. I have them on ours, they work great.

nagorb
04-17-2011, 11:12 PM
This is also a great resource with step by step instructions.

http://guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

BOFH
04-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Forgot to add: Go with a Boresnake for cleaning. Its all any of my 22's get and its all you need in most situations IMO. They all shoot better dirty anyway ;) Also, be sure to check out RFC.

IrishPirate
04-17-2011, 11:18 PM
i use the $2.50 earmuffs from harbor freight and they work awesome. can't tell the difference between wearing them and the $40 pairs.

my boresnake cleans my .22 perfectly. grab a skinny, soft bristle brush for cleaning the feed ramp.

You can grab a good small safe from Walmart no problem. guns don't care what you put them in, so long as it's soft and dry.

rkt88edmo
04-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Do you use dry lube, or none at all on the bolt?

I've tried light oil, light grease, and graphite.

I like just running it clean and dry, nothing for the dirt to stick to so it stays clean longer and the metal on metal contact doesn't bother me, this gun will outlast me and my children unless neglected.

zoglog
04-18-2011, 12:35 AM
oh man.... I have a mark III also, that cheese wedge and dangling pin always piss me off when trying to put it back together....

I only got my first firearm a few months ago and it's a damn drug I'll tell yah.

nagorb
04-18-2011, 12:45 AM
I've tried light oil, light grease, and graphite.

I like just running it clean and dry, nothing for the dirt to stick to so it stays clean longer and the metal on metal contact doesn't bother me, this gun will outlast me and my children unless neglected.

I've been wanting to try dry lube but I'll give none a try. I use as little grease as I can but it still picks up so much gunk.

red_eyez
04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I run electronic muffs turned all the way up with plugs. Good combo as you can hear pretty good until the muffs cut the sound.

Yep, that's exactly what I do, I use cheapo Caldwell electronic muffs from Turners, it's still on sale for $19.99 + tax until 4/21. and crank up the volume.

big50_1
04-20-2011, 9:09 AM
I use a Boresnake with the brass bristles removed. Pulls thru easy and cleans up a .22 bore well, especially if the bore is still warm. You can put some oil on the end (tail) to oil the bore.

I've had a Mk II 22/45 for years. If you want to add stuff, the first thing is a Volq. sear (smooth letoff) and extractor (really pulls the empties out where Ruger's sometimes does not although they seem better than in the past), then a target trigger (removes sloppy movement in the trigger). Then maybe a lightened hammer for faster locktime (if that ups your score then you are probably better than 98% of the rest of us) and a titanium firing pin. Then maybe a Volq. muzzle brake which really is a weight out front that calms unwanted movement. A .22 LR round, as I understand it, doesn't provide enough power to make a muzzle brake lower recoil. I also used skateboard tape on the slab sides to make the "gun stick to my hand" even in warm weather.

RUGER MK II/III BLAST SHIELD - a little metal device that you can make that shields the trigger area inside the frame from powder grit and debris. Keeps the trigger smoother longer. Concept: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/11/ruger-mkii-blast-shield.html Construction: http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/shield/blastshield.htm Another type without the hole: http://www.1bad69.com/gallery/GunStuff/Ruger/shield/dcp02848.jpg Another type: http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215624&page=2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Big50_1/Copyof100_1467-1.jpg