PDA

View Full Version : How do you stabilize rings on the base?

RogueSniper
04-05-2011, 3:00 PM
My scope's magnification ring is being battered by the rear sight.
Setup: SA M1A, ARMS/Swan Scope base, Burris Zee Signature Rings, Konus M30.
The recoil is making the rings to slide forward on the rails and jamming the magnification ring into the rear peep sight.

Do I have the wrong setup with: rings or base or both? I'll post pics later.

Rock6.3
04-05-2011, 3:43 PM
Rings should never slide on the rails. You either have an inappropriate hardware combination or the rings are not properly attached to the rail.

RogueSniper
04-05-2011, 7:04 PM
Rings should never slide on the rails. You either have an inappropriate hardware combination or the rings are not properly attached to the rail.

I hear you. The Burris Zee Signature rings should be able to handle anything. I'm thinking the ARMS is not spec'd right and there's too much clearance between the slots. The rings are snug around the outer rail but the screw that snugs up the clamps has too much room fore and aft and there's where the play is located.

Packy14
04-05-2011, 7:47 PM
There should be no play, are you sure the diameter inside the rings is correct? the rings should be rock solid on the rail, and the scope rock solid in the rings.

RogueSniper
04-05-2011, 7:54 PM
The scope isn't moving in the rings. The rings are moving on the rails during recoil. The rings will shift out of position on the rail during a shooting session. I can't crank the screws any tighter without tearing up the screws.

Packy14
04-05-2011, 8:01 PM
Sounds like the rail is not the same standard/size as the rings

FLIGHT762
04-06-2011, 7:40 AM
Your rail base is Picatinny spec. Your Zee rings are Weaver spec., which is looser than Picatinny. The Zee rings are not clamping down enough and the Zee ring cross slot on the underside of the ring is smaller than the Picatinny base slot, causing it to move forward under recoil.

Another alternative is to loosen the Zee ring base and move the rings forward into the forward shoulder of the Picatinny slot. You can try that.

You may need to get a set of Burris Extreme Tactical rings or other Picatinny spec ring to fit properly in the rail. This is probably the best idea.

OpticsPlanet
04-06-2011, 9:43 AM
The Burris Xtreme Tactical Picatinny rings are sized to fit both Weaver and picatinny slots, so switching to them won't result in a tighter fore-to-aft fit. From the Burris website:

"The super-strong yet surprisingly lightweight, six-screw aluminum rings anchor scopes in place on any Picatinny rail or Weaver-style base"

A weaver ring will fit on a picatinny base, but a true picatinny ring will not fit on a Weaver base. Here's a semi-politically incorrect acronym to remember what ring CAN fit what base: WOP (Weaver On Picatinny) good, POW (Picatinny on Weaver) bad.

Although a weaver ring CAN fit a picatinny base, look for true picatinny spec rings for the best fit. And invest in a torque screwdriver - very useful.

Mark H.

RogueSniper
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Alright. The problem is the wrong rings.

So now the issue is which Burris XTR rings to get. Low (.25") or Medium (.50"). The chart from Burris indicates the Medium Zee Signature in 30mm is .205" in height. I'm not sure if the XTR Low with it's additional 0.05" is enough to deal with the clearance or if the Medium 0.50" will be too high. Time to measure them.

I bought the Konus M30 from Optics Planet - thanks, Mark.

Zee 30mm Incl. Sig Medium .205"
http://burrisoptics.com/images/ring_heights.jpg

Burris Extreme Riflescope 30mm Ring Heights

This chart shows the dimensions of Burris XT 30mm Tactical Picatinni Style Matte Ring

from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the mount face ("C" dimension).
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/opticsplanet/burris-ringheight.jpg

30mm
LOW .25"
MED .50"
HIGH .75"
EXTRA HIGH 1.0"