PDA

View Full Version : Check out the City of Monrovia's interesting PC's and Chief's gun program

moleculo
04-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I've known about these PC's and program for a while. I don't know if there is any interest from CGF, but I figured I'd post it up:

Legally they can't due to preemption in the Government Code, but I've found a couple that do. If you come across one that does ban firearms without an exemption for PC 12050 License holders, CGF wants to know about it.

-Gene

City of Monrovia (where I live) has a PC that outright bans:

12.32.050 RESTRICTIONS APPLICABLE TO CITY PARKS AND THE USE OF PARK FACILITIES.

(3) Carrying or discharging any firearms, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes, fireworks or other explosive or blasting devices, air guns or slingshots;

They also have this goofy PC:

9.36.010 PERMIT REQUIRED.

No person shall, within the city limits of the city, fire, shoot or discharge any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearms, or any air gun, air rifle or pistol, or any spring gun, spring rifle or spring pistol, or any carbon dioxide or any other gas-operated gun, rifle or pistol, or any slingshot, catapult, gum shooter, bow and arrow, crossbow, or blow gun, without having first obtained a written permit from the Chief of Police of the city.

That effectively makes all the kid toy guns illegal to use, as well. Did I mention that the Chief of Police won't actually give you a permit for any of those items?

Now, combine those two PC's, with this program from the Chief of Police (copied from the city website)

Stop Gun Violence Bounty Program

In February 1997, Monrovia implemented the Stop Gun Violence Bounty Program. Any person who sees a person illegally possessing a gun in a public place or on any school campus is encouraged to immediately report it by calling the Monrovia Police Department any time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by dialing 9-1-1. It is preferred the caller identify him/herself; however, it is not mandatory. The caller may remain anonymous.

Upon receipt of the information, the police dispatcher issues a confidential identification number to the caller and requests a call back telephone number. If the caller wishes to remain anonymous, he/she will be instructed to call the department in one hour for final disposition using the identification number. The dispatcher then immediately dispatches a police officer to investigate and locate the suspected violator.

If the police officer does locate and arrest the suspect for illegally possessing a gun in a public place, the watch commander makes immediate arrangements for the caller to receive a new $100 bill. Donated funds from individuals, businesses and organizations are used to fund the bounties.

I have no idea how the average citizen is supposed to know by sight whether or not a gun is being carried illegally. This program also flies in the face of the current laws that allow UOC.

Nice set of rules for the City of Monrovia, HUH?

Ubermcoupe
04-05-2011, 1:18 PM

[I] 12.32.050 RESTRICTIONS APPLICABLE TO CITY PARKS AND THE USE OF PARK FACILITIES.

(3) Carrying or discharging any firearms, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes, fireworks...

Guess I will have to sell my Torpedo... :D

Just another way for a zealot to practice totalitarianism... :(

SJgunguy24
04-05-2011, 1:24 PM
I guess no politicians are allowed in parks then, they tend to shoot off their mouths about stuff they have no understanding of and fire off laws and regulations that violate the constitution they swore to uphold.

RuskieShooter
04-05-2011, 1:26 PM
spring rifle or spring pistol,

We should get a bunch of people together and flood the department with permit requests so we can have a Nerf gun battle league...

-Mike

Which Way Out
04-05-2011, 1:27 PM
Torpedos were once tested in a reservoir up in Azusa cyn years ago. Maybe they think someone ran off with one without asking and has it in there garage..

Which Way Out
04-05-2011, 1:30 PM

No person shall, within the city limits of the city, fire, shoot or discharge any gun, rifle, pistol or other firearms, or any air gun, air rifle or pistol, or any spring gun, spring rifle or spring pistol, or any carbon dioxide or any other gas-operated gun, rifle or pistol, or any slingshot, catapult, gum shooter, bow and arrow, crossbow, or blow gun, without having first obtained a written permit from the Chief of Police of the city.

Does that include your own backyard?

nicki
04-05-2011, 1:32 PM
Once we get some clarification as to what constitutes a "Sensitive Zone" , it looks like a "great place" to hold a UOC event with video camera's a rolling.

Nicki

Southwest Chuck
04-05-2011, 1:41 PM

Does that include your own backyard?

Is your back yard in the city limits? :chris:

Glock22Fan
04-05-2011, 1:51 PM

I guess this would apply to one of those toy gliders, the ones made from three cut out balsa sheets, launched by a rubber band.

What's a "gum shooter?" Is that some American toy I haven't heard of?

Which Way Out
04-05-2011, 1:52 PM
Is your back yard in the city limits? :chris:

Not mine, but I do know someone that lives in Monrovia and he may not know of this PC.
Funny thing years ago the Police Chief and the Mayor have both been to his house. Not the same ones that are running the show now however.

moleculo
04-05-2011, 1:56 PM
Every Friday night, they close down the main street - Myrtle Ave - for a street fair. There are always guys selling those rubber band guns and things like that. I know they get a seller's permit from the city, but I bet they didn't get a permit from the Chief of Police to demonstrate their toy guns.

...or any slingshot, catapult, gum shooter, bow and arrow, crossbow, or blow gun, without having first obtained a written permit from the Chief of Police of the city.

Heck, two nights ago, someone on my street fired 4 shots at a coyote that was attacking his pet (at least that's what the cops who showed up said). I bet they didn't get a permit prior to the shooting. There were no arrests, so apparently it was a good shoot.

Zimz
04-05-2011, 1:57 PM
12.32.050 RESTRICTIONS APPLICABLE TO CITY PARKS AND THE USE OF PARK FACILITIES.

(3) Carrying or discharging any firearms, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes, fireworks or other explosive or blasting devices, air guns or slingshots;

We wouldn't want anyone sinking ducks would we? This is common sense!:chris:

FastFinger
04-05-2011, 2:43 PM
CGN recently held an organizational meeting there - and we lived to talk about it!

Rich Keagy
04-05-2011, 6:11 PM
They left off trebuchets.
And do they have any idea what torpedoes weigh?

stix213
04-05-2011, 6:15 PM
Sounds like a Taser would also require a permit. I guess I'll make sure I never have any reason to spend any time in Monrovia.

BigDogatPlay
04-05-2011, 6:27 PM
A "torpedo" may mean a railroad torpedo, sometimes known as a railway detonator. Sample of one shown below. It's a small packet of pressure sensitive explosive with a couple of lead straps to fasten it to a rail. Back in the day they were used as signalling devices to make an engineer slow down or stop. They make quite a racket when they go off.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg/220px-Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg

mofugly13
04-05-2011, 7:01 PM
A "torpedo" may mean a railroad torpedo, sometimes known as a railway detonator. Sample of one shown below. It's a small packet of pressure sensitive explosive with a couple of lead straps to fasten it to a rail. Back in the day they were used as signalling devices to make an engineer slow down or stop. They make quite a racket when they go off.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg/220px-Railroad_torpedo_with_lead_straps.jpg

Cool. The more you know...;)

hoffmang
04-05-2011, 7:22 PM
Airgun preemption is even stronger than firearms preemption...

-Gene

dantodd
04-05-2011, 7:34 PM

-Gene

Do tell, San Carlos prohibits all airgun discharge within the city.

Paul S
04-05-2011, 8:24 PM

And I believe there was at one time a very popular firework that was called a torpedo. Can't believe the city would have such an MC...Municipal Code as opposed to Penal Code PC which I thought only states had...anyway...my sympathies to the residents of Maroonville. :(

gaddygat
04-06-2011, 7:04 AM
I want to move out of Monrovia now. Thanks for the heads up.

Bobula
04-06-2011, 7:21 AM
woot, rail guns are still good

CSACANNONEER
04-06-2011, 7:48 AM
woot, rail guns are still good

Looks like punt guns, cannons, howitzers and mortars are too! :D

paul0660
04-06-2011, 7:55 AM
I am pretty sure you mean Moronvia.

stix213
04-06-2011, 8:03 AM
Looks like punt guns, cannons, howitzers and mortars are too! :D

"Sorry officer, but I was denied a permit to fire my Nerf gun AND my slingshot, otherwise I wouldn't have been lighting off that howitzer. Did one of the neighbors complain?"

moleculo
04-06-2011, 8:11 AM
Can't believe the city would have such an MC...Municipal Code as opposed to Penal Code PC which I thought only states had...

You're right: it's a MC, not PC...my bad.

moleculo
04-06-2011, 8:13 AM

-Gene

Got something that I can quote if I get a knock on my door for shooting the pellet gun in the back yard?

How about toy gun preemption? LOL.

dilligaffrn
04-06-2011, 8:54 AM

-Gene

Also requesting more specifics please...

Librarian
04-06-2011, 9:14 AM
Also requesting more specifics please...

See the wiki quote of Government Code - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/State_Preemption_of_Some_Gun_Regulation

Rock6.3
04-06-2011, 9:59 AM
I need a lawyer to explain what this preemption discussion means with regard to municipalities regulating my use of a bb or pellet gun in my yard.

shocknm
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
And what's preventing city/counties from outlawing UOC? That would fall under possession.

Mike494
04-06-2011, 1:22 PM
We wouldn't want anyone sinking ducks would we? This is common sense!:chris:

At last, a common sense gun law....rofl. It's for the children ducks.

N6ATF
04-06-2011, 1:44 PM
It's for the ducklings!

dantodd
04-06-2011, 2:23 PM
See the wiki quote of Government Code - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/State_Preemption_of_Some_Gun_Regulation

I must be dense. I don't sees how this preempts discharge prohibitions on BB guns.

moleculo
04-06-2011, 2:40 PM
2008 Dangerous Weapons Control Law
53701 GC State Preemption of Firearm Regulations
GOVERNMENT CODE SECTION
State Preemption of Firearm Regulation

* 53071. It is the intention of the Legislature to occupy the whole field of regulation of the registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms as encompassed by the provisions of the Penal Code, and such provisions shall be exclusive of all local regulations, relating to registration or licensing of commercially manufactured firearms, by any political subdivision as defined in Section 1721 of the Labor Code.
* 53071.5 By the enforcement of this section, the Legislature occupies the whole field of regulation of the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, as defined in Section 12250 of the Penal Code, and that section shall preempt and be exclusive of all regulations relating to the manufacture, sale, or possession of imitation firearms, including regulations governing the manufacture, sale, or possession of BB devices and air rifles described in subdivision (g) of Section 12001 of the Penal Code.

It looks to me like these only preempt registration, possession, and licensing. I don't see how it preempts anything to do with discharge. Is there some applicable case law?

CHS
04-06-2011, 4:17 PM
It looks to me like these only preempt registration, possession, and licensing. I don't see how it preempts anything to do with discharge. Is there some applicable case law?

I think "possession" is the key word here.

Discharge would likely follow under PC regulating possession, so since possession is pre-empted then municipalites can't regulate discharge...

Or.. I'm on crack.