PDA

View Full Version : m4 buttstock variety

M4rk
04-04-2011, 11:21 PM
im thinkin of upgrading the buttstock on my .22 colt m4 ops. so many brands, so many different versions, so many things to weigh in. milspec tube, commercial tube... moe, ctr.. i dont know wut these things are. i just need something better than the one it came with, that doesnt wiggle/wobble around. feels comfy, and looks kool! any sugggestions?

MrPlink
04-05-2011, 2:33 AM
milspec and commercial refer to the diameter of the the buffer tube.
milspec tubes are smaller than commercial, thus commercial stocks will fit on milspec tubes, but not the other way around. Regardless, Id recommend getting whatever is actually meant for your buffer tube. Im not sure what the Umarex uses, so we will need somebody else to chime in on that.

As far as the MOE vs CTR. They are more or less the same, but the CTR has an additional locking mechanism which further reduces any play in the stock, hence the CTR has a higher price.

People have mixed results with these two. Ive seen CTRs that dont lock up any better than a MOE, but then Ive seen some that are absolutely rock solid and wont budge unless you release the friction lock.

Choice is yours. For a plinker, Id say just get the MOE.

Droppin Deuces
04-05-2011, 5:45 AM
I wouldn't even bother with the lower end Magpul stuff. It's a waste of money. If you want a nice, tight, collapsible stock, get an LMT Gen2 stock and make sure you have a mil spec tube to put it on. The stock is $58, and when combined with a milspec tube it's completely wiggle free, unlike the Magpul CTR which does wiggle unless you fiddle with that hokey locking mechanism. I put them on all of my guns.

It doesn't look any different than the typical 6 position stock, but trust me, it is.

http://www.lmtstore.com/bolts-carriers-groups/buttstocks/generation-2-collapsible-buttstock.html

M4rk
04-05-2011, 8:02 AM
thanks guys

M4rk
04-05-2011, 8:36 AM
Did a search in the forum.... It's milspec

M4rk
04-06-2011, 6:28 PM
any one have the magpul MOE stock? is it solid? no play(wobble) on the tube? hows the feel?

Droppin Deuces
04-07-2011, 12:02 AM
any one have the magpul MOE stock? is it solid? no play(wobble) on the tube? hows the feel?

The MOE stock is the most useless product Magpul makes. Some people like it because they think it looks cool, and they'll even tell you to your face that it's a good stock. More than likely it's because they've never used anything else. The LMT stock is hands down the best thing you can buy in that price range.

shooterdude
04-07-2011, 7:53 AM
im thinkin of upgrading the buttstock on my .22 colt m4 ops. so many brands, so many different versions, so many things to weigh in. milspec tube, commercial tube... moe, ctr.. i dont know wut these things are. i just need something better than the one it came with, that doesnt wiggle/wobble around. feels comfy, and looks kool! any sugggestions?

I have the MOE milspec stock on a milspec tube and I am having no issues. Already built 2 AR-15's this way and I have had excellent results. I think the people having issues are mixing milspec and commercial parts together.

Buy this kit from DSG and you can't go wrong: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOESTOCKKITBLK.aspx

They always run out but seem to have them available again in a week.

C_1
04-07-2011, 8:26 AM
Did a search in the forum.... It's milspec

Yeah, you probably found it on a thread I posted, because I searched, and at the time, there were no answers. But yep, its mil spec size'd tube, so you have lots of options..

But its a 22lr, so getting a super sturdy stock is not so important, as opposed to a 5.56 caliber AR. So the standard M4 stock works, but if you got a bit of money, and want another stock, go for it.

The $50 Magpul MOE stock is not much of an improvement over the M4 style stock; it looks cool but theres still wobble. The CTR has a friction lock, but its about $90. The $100 VLTOR stocks are nice. I have a LMT SOPMOD and love it. I dont know about putting expensive stocks on a $500 22lr rifle, but Colt/Umamex makes a stock that looks like the SOPMOD. They call it the crane stock and it could be found for about $60. Dont know about quality though..

Droppin Deuces
04-07-2011, 1:26 PM
I have the MOE milspec stock on a milspec tube and I am having no issues. Already built 2 AR-15's this way and I have had excellent results. I think the people having issues are mixing milspec and commercial parts together.
Buy this kit from DSG and you can't go wrong: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOESTOCKKITBLK.aspx

They always run out but seem to have them available again in a week.

Eh..no, it's just a piece of ****:p Seriously, though it's great that they put out an "affordable" stock, but they should be ashamed of how much that thing wobbles. At least TRY to tighten up the tolerances a little.

M4rk
04-07-2011, 7:43 PM
haahah thanx for all the input guys! LMT sounds good, now.. wer to get it??

Droppin Deuces
04-07-2011, 9:34 PM
Only place I know of to get them is directly from LMT. Link is in post #3 ^^^