PDA

View Full Version : 5150...DOJ shows up asks for guns

BrokerB
04-04-2011, 7:17 PM
strange sht..

A guy I know lost his mind- Too bad... very generous good hearted guy- both parents died in last three years and had a rough employment/relationship during same time. Guy gets checked in to loony bin...

So he calls me up and tells me DOJ shows up and says..where are these two guns you own?

About 8 years ago he gave a friend one of his pistols for safe keeping as his home had been broken into and he did not have a safe. I gave him the guys number so they can do a transfer at the ffl

My question was...How do they know what handguns he has?!! He bought those at least 15 years ago? And they only asked about handguns..no rifles or shotguns?

Soldier415
04-04-2011, 7:18 PM
DOJ showed up?

Were they in a black helicopter?

Did they land on the freeway?

paul0660
04-04-2011, 7:21 PM
How do they know what handguns he has?!! He bought those at least 15 years ago? And they only asked about handguns..no rifles or shotguns?

So he has long guns too?

dantodd
04-04-2011, 7:21 PM
Handguns have been registered for, I think, since 1990. It is not unreasonable that DOJ reps would ask about any handguns that come up in the registry.

Understandably, psychiatric prohibitions are being given extra attention these days.

five.five-six
04-04-2011, 7:29 PM
strange sht..

Guy gets checked in to loony bin...

So he calls me up and tells me DOJ shows up and says..where are these two guns you own?

DOJ??? did they ask to be taken to his leader too?

are these the guys?

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3049/motivatorc05c5ac2a6c38f.jpg

in all sincerity, I hope he gets well soon

gunsmith
04-04-2011, 7:39 PM
I hope your friend gets better.

BigDogatPlay
04-04-2011, 8:08 PM
The wheels actually do turn occasionally, even at DoJ. If he was involuntarily committed and was held over, and that paperwork landed at DoJ (which it's supposed to) an AFS check would have turned up DROSed handguns which he no longer would be able to own by operation of law.

That said, and given the financial straights the state is in I am amazed they sent a couple of agents out unless they were bored or something rather than just send a demand letter or similar. But gun haters are gonna hate and government is full of them.

I hope your friend is getting better and getting on with his life okay, aside from this, that is.

sighere
04-04-2011, 8:51 PM
One thing we all need to keep in mind as that CCW becomes more ubiquitous, some problems will become magnified. Mental issues will probably crop up more often with devastating results and the media and the antis will make hay from it. Just sayin', they might have done this guy a huge favor this time around. Hope he gets better.

Blackhawk556
04-04-2011, 9:04 PM
Why are some people joking around about this??

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Carnivore
04-04-2011, 9:16 PM
Why are some people joking around about this??

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
Because the very thought that the DOJ was active first hand in anything so (quite honestly) trivial it's shocking. In the great scheme of things, one guy with two hand guns that checked HIM SELF in for observation is so minor on the oh SH*T of meter that I am surprised that anyone even noticed, let alone came out of any office or cubical to do something about it. Registers up there with the FBI coming to someones house for stealing cable T.V.

San FranPsycho
04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Because the very thought that the DOJ was active first hand in anything so (quite honestly) trivial it's shocking. In the great scheme of things, one guy with two hand guns that checked HIM SELF in for observation is so minor on the oh SH*T of meter that I am surprised that anyone even noticed, let alone came out of any office or cubical to do something about it. Registers up there with the FBI coming to someones house for stealing cable T.V.

..exactly, while on the other hand we have Loughner, issuing repeated death threats and discharged from a community college for being mentally unstable and nobody asks any questions

Librarian
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Handguns have been registered for, I think, since 1990. It is not unreasonable that DOJ reps would ask about any handguns that come up in the registry.

Understandably, psychiatric prohibitions are being given extra attention these days.

The direct computer interface to DROS dates from about then, but DROS for handguns dates from 1922. It's unknown to me how far back the paper records have been entered into the database, but anecdotal evidence suggests at least into the 80s.

There is a DOJ 'prohibited persons' project. This event sounds like an activity of that project.

scarville
04-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I thought the story sounded a little strange, too. There may be more here than the reports are saying. Maybe the guy claimed he was having fantasies about sex with Hillary Clinton. Do you really want someone like that to have a gun? :rolleyes:

killmime1234
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
strange sht..

A guy I know lost his mind- Too bad... very generous good hearted guy- both parents died in last three years and had a rough employment/relationship during same time. Guy gets checked in to loony bin...

About 8 years ago he gave a friend one of his pistols for safe keeping as his home had been broken into and he did not have a safe. I gave him the guys number so they can do a transfer at the ffl

My question was...How do they know what handguns he has?!! He bought those at least 15 years ago? And they only asked about handguns..no rifles or shotguns?

The OP didn't say he checked himself in. If it's a 5150, he was kept against his will which tells me that he probably didn't intentionally put himself in that situation in the first place.

lavgrunt
04-05-2011, 1:17 AM
.....'Prohibited Persons' file......The state cross-references persons who are convicted of certain crimes, 5150s, restraining orders and a few other categories with DROS/AFS databases..........Happens all the time.........Judges will actually grant search warrants in some cases...........

vantec08
04-05-2011, 3:19 AM
That said, and given the financial straights the state is in I am amazed they sent a couple of agents out unless they were bored or something rather than just send a demand letter or similar. But gun haters are gonna hate and government is full of them.

I hear that. Bureaucrats need to be needed and relevant, according to the latest political whim or fancy. Can of latex paint fell off a painters truck at a nearby intersection - - the FD did the whole hazmat response thing with the jillion dollar toy truck, hazmat suits the whole schmear. I would have power washed it for a hundred dollars.

frankm
04-05-2011, 8:44 AM
Don't keep all your guns in one place. Sorry about your friend.

oaklander
04-05-2011, 9:04 AM
They are likely ramping this up - due to the Arizona thing. I'd rather see DOJ enforce existing laws (like what they are doing here) than push for new over-broad laws.

The reality is that a large percentage of the population has had some encounter with mental health professionals. Think about the number of women who have seen a doctor for postpartum depression. If we start going too far down this slope, we will essentially outlaw guns for millions of law-abiding and SAFE people, and due to the fact that women generally see doctors more than men, we will have a BIG de facto "gender bias" in any new laws.

People simply do not think this stuff through.

There is a DOJ 'prohibited persons' project. This event sounds like an activity of that project.

CSACANNONEER
04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
They are likely ramping this up - due to the Arizona thing. I'd rather see DOJ enforce existing laws (like what they are doing here) than push for new over-broad laws.

The reality is that a large percentage of the population has had some encounter with mental health professionals. Think about the number of women who have seen a doctor for postpartum depression. If we start going too far down this slope, we will essentially outlaw guns for millions of law-abiding and SAFE people, and due to the fact that women generally see doctors more than men, we will have a BIG de facto "gender bias" in any new laws.

People simply do not think this stuff through.

Think about the numbers of combat vets who have sought mental health help from the VA. Or, how about most first responders after a major event such as a train wreck, plane crash, etc. If everyone who has ever seen a shrink for any reason gets targeted, most LEOs and other first responders won't be able to be in possession of firearms. That said, I agree that it's better to see DOJ actually enforcing laws rather than trying to make or make up new ones.

bwiese
04-05-2011, 10:24 AM
The DOJ runs the APPP (Armed Prohibited Persons Program) that investigates/takes action against those who shouldn't have firearms.

The people of interest to this program are felons (esp violent felons), those with prohibiting misdemeanors within the N-year (usually 10) time window, and those with adjudicated mental illness/5150 stuff.

There's a fair chance that handguns purchased at/thru CA FFLs even back into the mid80s (with perhaps some info back in the mid 70s) may be computerized.

So the OP's post is not surprising.

I will also note that while the DOJ came for the handguns - because rifles are generally not fully papered - the OP shouldn't possess long guns either, he's a prohibited person (esp. now that he's really been notified).

The OP may be able to fix this up, however, with proper representation.