PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on 80% lower

robnbritt
04-04-2011, 6:06 PM
Interesting idea was presented to me by a friend. He wants to finish an 80% lower and custom engrave his initials on it (ATF).
Something along the lines of

Property of A.T.F.
PROJECT
GUN RUNNER
Uno / Mil

Told him it is a bad idea but he is one of the walk on the edge kind of guys. Is there any legal issue?

Please move if in wrong forum

jtmkinsd
04-04-2011, 6:42 PM
Interesting idea was presented to me by a friend. He wants to finish an 80% lower and custom engrave his initials on it (ATF).
Something along the lines of

Property of A.T.F.
PROJECT
GUN RUNNER
Uno / Mil

Told him it is a bad idea but he is one of the walk on the edge kind of guys. Is there any legal issue?

Please move if in wrong forum

It's his...he can engrave whatever he wants on it.

FXR
04-04-2011, 6:53 PM
If he ever sells it I believe the markings have to include his name or manufacturer name, the city, and a serial number. If he doesn't sell it, anything he wants should be fine.

killmime1234
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
No legal issue. But then again, the exact reason your buddy wants engrave that is to parody the illegal activities performed by that bureau so it wouldn't surprise me if they illegally put him in hot water over it (assuming they ever found out.)

Munk
04-05-2011, 12:30 AM
while it's an 80%, it's just a piece of metal, and he can do with it as he pleases.

When it's beyond that and it's considered a firearm, then he has to follow the normal dilligence required for such a thing. I.E. all the appropriate markings if he's going to sell it.

Things to avoid: Logos of office, things that would otherwise make him seem like an official or an officer of the agency his name shares an initial set with. I can't recall the regs and i'm too tired to dig through google and legal info,but there's a number of official logos that might be a no-no to use without permission or in an unofficial capacity.

jonnyt16
04-05-2011, 4:35 AM
Man, your buddy sure got screwed with those initials.

flyingcaveman
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
That's a first amendment time bomb ready to explode.

I would go with unum/pluribus for the serial number

Ubermcoupe
04-05-2011, 1:15 PM
If he ever sells it I believe the markings have to include his name or manufacturer name, the city, and a serial number. If he doesn't sell it, anything he wants should be fine.
I remember something like this ^ while reading about firearm manufacturing.
This (http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2009-1.pdf) was the only thing I could find on ATF though.

Others are right, it is only an 80% lower.
Common sense would suggest to watch what is engraved... but to each his own.

Your friend is just confused, instead he needs a calgun engraved lower (http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/cabereshtoyo.html)! :D

ChrisRL
04-05-2011, 2:37 PM
Apparently if you make a firearm (such as finishing the 80% receiver) at home (i.e. without a firearms manufacturer's license) you cannot sell it, trade it, or even give it to your offspring. Your spouse may hold it for you, that's it. This from other sites and publications, so YMMV on this and best check it out first.

ke6guj
04-05-2011, 2:48 PM
Apparently if you make a firearm (such as finishing the 80% receiver) at home (i.e. without a firearms manufacturer's license) you cannot sell it, trade it, or even give it to your offspring. Your spouse may hold it for you, that's it. This from other sites and publications, so YMMV on this and best check it out first.

that would be incorrect. you can't make a firearm with the intent of selling it, but you can get rid of it later (but ATF says that you do have to engrave your name, city, state and a serial number on it before you transfer it).

wash
04-05-2011, 3:05 PM
I haven't heard of any law that would prohibit the lending or usage of a home built gun any more than a legally owned (but un-papered) gun.

The only restriction I know of is that you have to finish it yourself so using a gunsmith to repair or modify it may not be legal.

dantodd
04-05-2011, 3:56 PM

You should post your sources so that others will know to be wary of advice from them. It also makes it possible for the sites/publications to be properly educated so that they discontinue spreading FUD.

Getting good information out there and ending the spread of incorrect information are co-equal parts of educating the public.

robnbritt
04-05-2011, 3:57 PM
Your friend is just confused, instead he needs a calgun engraved lower!

Well I wish that was the case, the confused part. He has two of them in his safe that are not being built as of yet. I think it is one of those "cuz I can" things with him

awall919
04-05-2011, 4:19 PM
Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious as to how difficult it would be to finish an 80% complete lower? I'm assuming a mill would do the trick but could you get by with a drill press?

12voltguy
04-05-2011, 9:01 PM
Sorry to get off topic but I was just curious as to how difficult it would be to finish an 80% complete lower? I'm assuming a mill would do the trick but could you get by with a drill press?

search here
I did one with drill press, it ain't pretty inside, but functions perfect
bought a mill last week
Iwant to do more easier & who don't want a mill, goes with my lath, mig & tig,lol

wash
04-06-2011, 8:38 AM
CNC is the way to go if you can but other methods work.