PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark II Vs. Ruger Mark III

ER4268
04-04-2011, 2:07 PM
I am looking to purchase a Ruger .22LR pistol. I am curious what are the differences between the two. I also looking for opinions about which is better?

Thanks,

ER4268

MongooseV8
04-04-2011, 2:54 PM
In short the only real difference that cant be changed easily is the Mark II has a mag release on the bottom of the mag well right next to where the mag is inserted. This doesnt allow you to drop a mag with one hand. The Mark III has its mag release near your thumb similar to a 1911 and allows for easy one handed mag drops.

But the Mark III also has a Loaded Chamber Indicator, whis is easily disabled; and a mag detent safety which is also cheap and easy to remedy. The mag saftey wont allow a mag to drop free, and you cant fire the gun without a mag inserted in the magwell. I got a Mark III about a year ago and with a couple cheap parts it functions just as a Mark II, but I have a thumb button mag release :D

Other than that, they are pretty much the same as far as function and accuracy. They use different mags too, and somebody else chime in if I forgot anything obvious ;)

gary t
04-05-2011, 6:43 AM
Here is a good visual comparison.

hatidua
04-05-2011, 7:01 AM
You can generally get a Mark-III cheaper as they are still in production and many purists are only after the Mark-II's.

I prefer the mag release on the III, but I can do without the other lawyer-driven features.

bombadillo
04-05-2011, 7:04 AM
I really like my mark III better than the MKII comparing them side by side. I can't stand the loaded chamber indicator, but its easy enough to remove if I really wanted to. That is the main 2 differences between them. I like my mag release in the same spot roughly for all my guns, but the MKIII is a little odd with the big thumb rest on the grips for the competition target model. Kind of awkward.

Sky_DiveR
04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
...I can do without the other lawyer-driven features.

You mean Roster-driven features.

...I can't stand the loaded chamber indicator, but its easy enough to remove if I really wanted to....

The mag disconnect and chamber indicator are easy enough to remove. A guy on Rimfire Central even sells the filler plate for the chamber indicator so you won't have that empty slot after you remove it. Then you have the best of both worlds... no mag disconnect or chamber indicator like the MK II but the mag release of the MK III.

Markus
04-06-2011, 1:10 AM
what about the difference between MK II 22/45 and a MK III 22/45? Same differences?

racky
04-06-2011, 2:06 AM
nutnfancy actually made a video about this very subject.
here's the vid. fast foward to 20min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrlcKfT790
CTrlcKfT790

WDoc
04-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I have fired both and I prefer the 3. The hunter model comes with both grips flat, but I purchased the thumb rest grip that is typically on the competition model and I prefer that. I like the mag release on the 3 better and the loaded chamber indicator has never been a problem for me. I kind of like it, given that the slide does not stay back when you're empty.

The internal safety requiring the magazine to be inserted before you can fire is annoying and I will probably be doing the modification to remove this feature. I dry fire it regularly, and it would be nice to not need the magazine to do this.

I got a good deal on the 3 and it was in stock, so no hassle. I also like the look of the 3 better than the 2. I shoot it by far more than all of the rest of my firearms combined. It's a great gun and I prefer the minor differences of the 3 over the 2.

nbkvig2
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Great info guys, looks like I'll be picking up a Mark III or 22/45 :D

scootergmc
04-07-2011, 6:38 AM
Great info guys, looks like I'll be picking up a Mark III or 22/45 :D

I prefer the pre-IIIs...

But since you're in LA, one just hit the marketplace this morning with some good parts at a decent price: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=418116

03fatboy
04-07-2011, 7:04 AM
I prefer the pre-IIIs...

But since you're in LA, one just hit the marketplace this morning with some good parts at a decent price: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=418116

I prefer MK II's as well! That is a great deal for $300 bucks with all the extra's, won't last long.

nbkvig2
04-07-2011, 7:09 AM
I prefer the pre-IIIs...

Thanks Scooter, just saw it earlier too, great deal nonetheless! Pm'd the seller already, hopefully it'll pan out. I actually prefer the IIIs, but 22/45s are a much better deal in my opinion with the price difference, especially when turner has them (22/45) on sale :eek: