PDA

View Full Version : Plausible or Actual LUCC use of force

gatesbox
04-04-2011, 1:21 PM
I have been taking some time to consider and research LUCC. I live in San Mateo County so I'm assuming CCW permit might be a stretch. If I were to apply my just cause aside from personal protection of self and family would likely include some mention of threats of bodily harm I receive as an ordained minister who at times counsels and provides aid to victims of domestic violence and at risk youth.

Taking complete and permitted CCW out of the question. Also leaving out the debate of legal locations for LUCC (although if an area is in question I'd appreciate a brief note).

what are some plausible use of force scenarios for LUCC?

Even better, what are some actual accounts of legal use of force withLUCC?

Recently my best friends wife was mugged at gun point while strapping her child into a car seat...although i have since helped her in her interest to comfortably handle a few different pistols, in her case I don't believe even a complete and permitted ccw would have saved her bacon, her pistol would have been stolen by the BG along with her other belongings.

I'm just left wondering even more if use of force is practical from a LUCC condition.

Help me out give me some examples and scenarios, perhaps even some experienced And sympathetic LEO's want to chime in with RL examples.

mej16489
04-04-2011, 1:25 PM
what are some plausible use of force scenarios for LUCC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_massacre

gatesbox
04-04-2011, 1:35 PM
Strange you should mention this case...I had a relative that survived this shooting. As you may know, there was a female NRA defensive pistol instructor in the restaurant who was not allowed to carry her firearm into the establishment and had her weapon locked securely in her vehicle. This is definitely a reason for shall issue (as if we needed a reason other than the Constitution) and a scenario I have thought of before...mass shootings definafely get a thumbs up for LUCC.

stix213
04-04-2011, 1:36 PM
Any situation where a group of people are being threatened, where you aren't necessarily the one with a gun aimed at you that second, would be reasonable for LUCC.

Office, mall, restaurant, or other mass shooting scenarios come to mind.

Recently my best friends wife was mugged at gun point while strapping her child into a car seat...although i have since helped her in her interest to comfortably handle a few different pistols, in her case I don't believe even a complete and permitted ccw would have saved her bacon, her pistol would have been stolen by the BG along with her other belongings.

If she kept her CCW pistol in her purse then ya it could have been stolen. If she kept it concealed on her person then it would likely not have been.

Glock22Fan
04-04-2011, 2:13 PM
There's no guarantee that a CCW holder carrying heat will make any difference whatsoever, and (as you observe) that might sometimes make the situation worse. However, those of us who believe in CCW'ing are, I believe, of the opinion that for every case where it didn't help, or actually went bad, there are more cases that went well as a result of CCW'ing.

LUCC is obviously not as handy as CCW, but may still be better than leaving your gun back in your safe. One advantage, your LUCC container does not have to scream "gun" and thereby there may be less likely hood of you getting shot by your own firearm. As said, scenarios such as Lubby's would work well for LUCC, as would shootings such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, etc. as long as you were able to access and load your handgun behind some kind of cover.

It's weighing the possible advantages against the possible disadvantages. My mileage may vary from yours.