PDA

View Full Version : Nearest BLM Land Near SF Bay Area

oaklander
11-06-2006, 3:01 PM
Hi All - I'm looking for the nearest BLM land near the SF Bay Area - that allows shooting (not hunting - just shooting).

I've heard of a place - but forgot it.

Anyone got any tips on cool places to go shooting near SF?

Thanks in advance!

k

Turbinator
11-06-2006, 3:07 PM
Panoche. Check the outdoor forum for more info.

If you go, please be sure you clean up after yourself. We do NOT need more litter going out there.

Turby

oaklander
11-06-2006, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is there a certain place at Panoche that folks go to?

Also - what's the easiest way to get there from Oakland (HWY 5?).

Thanks again!!!

M. Sage
11-06-2006, 5:57 PM
I remember seeing exits for the Panoche area off 5... it was like 3 hours away. I think you can get there off 101.

If they allow camping out there, it'd be perfect for a camp and shoot, though.

Here ya go, BTW: http://www.blm.gov/ca/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html#gothere

And, ah-hah! You can camp there!

oaklander
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
MSage - we ought to plan a day trip down there (or an overnighter) to check it out. I've got all sorts of stuff that would be fun to shoot (just have to make sure we take it all away when we are done).

M. Sage
11-07-2006, 9:12 PM
Yep, we aughta. I still need to recover from the last camp-n-shoot. :P Great vacation!

elkhorn98
11-10-2006, 9:33 AM
There is also a range in Cow Mountain near Ukiah

http://www.shastacascade.org/blm/clearlak/ncow.htm

joel1316
11-10-2006, 12:42 PM
There are tons of places a couple of hours out of the Bay Area, its just a matter of doing some research and driving.

pacificamark
11-27-2006, 7:27 PM
Tons? Care to post a few names that are the closest to the Bay Area? I'd be happy to host a currnet list with maps and pictures, I've got oodles of BW and space on my account.

tpliquid1
11-27-2006, 11:16 PM
yea, ukiah seems closer to sf than panoche

metalhead357
11-27-2006, 11:31 PM
yep and so is Knoxville...........

Turbinator
11-28-2006, 3:09 AM
I'd be interested in hearing about these "tons" of open public shooting land. Closest I know of to San Jose is Panoche. Panoche is truly an "anything goes" type of range, which I like very much.

Turby

metalhead357
11-28-2006, 7:25 AM
I'd be interested in hearing about these "tons" of open public shooting land. Closest I know of to San Jose is Panoche. Panoche is truly an "anything goes" type of range, which I like very much.

Turby

I hear you; I think that there is a ton of BLM land, but arguably there is not a ton of places to shoot on BLM land "close" to the Bay area though.... unfortunately.

joel1316
11-28-2006, 9:19 AM
OK, I guess I used the term "tons" too loosely there, I apologize :)
Within a couple of hours of the Bay Area, there are enough areas that should keep a shooter busy for awhile.

socalguns
11-29-2006, 1:09 AM
I think if we actually went and measured, we'd get tons :p

Turbinator
11-29-2006, 6:22 AM
OK, I guess I used the term "tons" too loosely there, I apologize :)
Within a couple of hours of the Bay Area, there are enough areas that should keep a shooter busy for awhile.

Problem is, even though Panoche is cool and all, if people continue to trash it up, the folks to manage Panoche would consider shutting it down. This was the basis for our October clean up activity earlier this year. My worry is that one day enough irresponsible people will be using Panoche and it'll go kaput, then that'll be one less spot to use for target shooting. I'll have to go take a look at the other areas mentioned in this thread, but I don't get the impression that we have lots of selection around here.

Turby

ZapThyCat
11-29-2006, 6:40 AM
Can't you go out on the delta and shoot out there with no probs?

joel1316
11-29-2006, 8:13 AM
Problem is, even though Panoche is cool and all, if people continue to trash it up, the folks to manage Panoche would consider shutting it down. This was the basis for our October clean up activity earlier this year. My worry is that one day enough irresponsible people will be using Panoche and it'll go kaput, then that'll be one less spot to use for target shooting. I'll have to go take a look at the other areas mentioned in this thread, but I don't get the impression that we have lots of selection around here.

Turby

Unfortunately, irresponsible shooters are the reason why a lot of people are very tight lipped about giving out shooting locations.

pacificamark
11-29-2006, 4:04 PM
Well then all these great locations just might as well be closed if we aren't going to share the places with others. I hate secrets. I certainly don't have a suggestion to keep the riff raff out though.

M. Sage
11-29-2006, 7:27 PM
If you see 'em being riff raff, turn 'em in?

joel1316
11-30-2006, 8:21 AM
Well then all these great locations just might as well be closed if we aren't going to share the places with others. I hate secrets. I certainly don't have a suggestion to keep the riff raff out though.

They are open to the public.... Call BLM, buy some maps, talk to rangers face to face/phone/email. National Forest is also open to shooting. You'll be surprised to see what you find. I figure if you put in the time to find these places, you'll also treasure them. Someone who just learns about them(easily) may not treasure them as much :D

acegunnr
11-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I think if we actually went and measured, we'd get tons :p

When I talked to Leslie at BLM yesterday, she mentioned they pulled out 9 tons of garbage at the last cleanup!:eek:

You guys put rocks in them trash bags?:D

thedrickel
11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Kev if you head out to some BLM land count me in. Gotta test-fire these AKs I just built! Clear Lake is good for me, buddy of mine has a house there we could probly stay in. :D