View Full Version : Approved Gun Safes: Amsec and Sentry

04-04-2011, 2:01 AM
Does anyone know why many of American Security safes are not on the approved list at the CA DOJ? (i.e. TF5517 among their higher end ones). I noticed that many of the Sentry safes are (even their low end).

After reading this, I saw the Amsec brochure which claims to be DOJ and UL approved. I would normally call this marketing hype and sales talk, but I do know that Amsec are found at many lock and safe places which would make me think they are approved for California as gun safes.

Anyone have a better website to reference?

04-04-2011, 7:44 AM
The list looks broken to me. It seems that if your safe is constructed the way their guidelines specify, it should be good, regardless of the manufacturer. Heck, Liberty Safes isn't even on the list! There's no way this thing is accurate.

04-04-2011, 8:15 AM
Doesn't have to be on the list though. Maybe they didn't pay thier bribe money???

All of the following requirements:

Is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
Is able to fully contain firearms;
Provides for the secure storage of firearms.

04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Safes do not have to be on the list - they can meet the standards published here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe.php

AFAIK Amsec safes are UL rated for RSC (or higher, if sold that way), and that meets DOJ standard.

Thread moved to the safe forum.