PDA

View Full Version : Moving a liberty safe 23 cu ft - enclosed trailer

high_revs
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
IIRC, it's about 550-560 pounds for the Liberty 23 cu ft. Friend is offering to help me move it instead of hiring company. We do have motorcycles we load up that go above 500lbs and the trailer handles 2 of them plus many other gear like 2x generators, canopies, spare parts, clothing gear, etc.

My only concern is where to position the safe in the trailer and the strength of the backdoor withstanding concentrated weight of 2 wheels of an appliance dolly.

Thoughts? As long as safe is over the axles, should be good? unsure what we can do about avoiding the concentrated weight over the back door other than maybe some 2x6 plants instead. i.e. i won't want it crushing thru the back door though again, it handles motorcycle weights over 2 points also (wider though)

NorCal Einstein
04-05-2011, 6:07 PM
I would think just like you said....weight over the axles. So you are loading the safe on top of a dolly, and then sticking it in the trailer (safe is now on wheels)? If that's the case, I would either avoid having a rolling safe in the trailer if possible, or chock the dolly/prevent things from rolling around. If the trailer has eyes for straps, I'd definitely utilize those to minimize the potential movement inside since that is going to be your downfall if you have one...not so much the weight and weight distribution. In the end, if on wheels and not secured, you have a 550-560 pound battering ram unleashing hell on that trailer door.

Oshiat
04-05-2011, 10:24 PM
I would lay a sheet of plywood on the floor of the trailer to prevent damaging it. This should distribute the weight of the safe and prevent poking holes thru the floor. Im assuming the back door folds down into a ramp? I would say look really hard at the weight capacity of the ramp. Worst case, rent an engine hoist and lift it into the back of the trailer horizontally.

bike_rider
04-06-2011, 4:46 AM
Once you are inside the trailer I don't think the floor is going too care much. 500 lbs on two wheels is like two big guys each standing on one foot.

Do watch that tongue weight - make sure you have enough. A couple of 2x6s are a cheap way to remove any worry about the back door. Secure them so they do not slip, but if you've been loading bikes, you already know that.

anthonyca
04-06-2011, 5:43 AM
Once you are inside the trailer I don't think the floor is going too care much. 500 lbs on two wheels is like two big guys each standing on one foot.

Do watch that tongue weight - make sure you have enough. A couple of 2x6s are a cheap way to remove any worry about the back door. Secure them so they do not slip, but if you've been loading bikes, you already know that.

Good points. The worst thing when towing is having the weight back too far. Your trailer will be all over the place.

maderashooter
04-06-2011, 6:02 AM
Weight over axels if you have eyelits high tie it for points up not down if your worryed it will crash through btw motorcycle wheels = soft dispersed. Dolly wheels = hard pressure point make a big diff

Dieseldog
04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I moved a Liberty 23 cu ft. safe before. They weight about 525 lbs. Place it in the center of the trailer, over the axles. Lay it down (if room permits) on a moving blanket. The blanket will help protect the finish & allow you to slide the safe if needed.

high_revs
04-06-2011, 9:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Trailer is big for 2 sportbikes, scooter and other misc stuff we throw in there like generators, spare parts, gear, etc. So tongue weight won't be an issue. I got a couple of spare plywood also to put more weight distribution over his floor and the back door which folds down. Plus we have e-tracks on the sides, and on the floor too. worse case, I'll get some 2x6's anyway. :)