PDA

View Full Version : inter state question

MASTERLAB
04-03-2011, 9:44 PM
hopefully this is the right place for this thread, but basically my question is:

can you purchase a firearm from outside of your own state, if not why is this so

ohsmily
04-03-2011, 10:27 PM
hopefully this is the right place for this thread, but basically my question is:

can you purchase a firearm from outside of your own state, if not why is this so

Your thread title does not match your question. Intra-state means WITHIN the state. INTER state means between states.

To answer your question, sure you can buy guns from other states and have the firearms sent to your dealer here for you to conduct the DROS and background check. The gun must be on the roster if it is a pistol (unless you have some exemption or it is an intrafamilial transfer) and it can't be an assault weapon or 50 BMG rifle or other prohibited firearm.

If this is an answer to a question you aren't asking, then you need to phrase your question with more specificity.

MASTERLAB
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
title fixed, should help with the confusion a bit

to try to be more specific with my question, if i was traveling across several state lines, say on a road trip for instance, and i decide in the middle of the trip to buy a firearm for self defence, would there be anything to prohibit me from purchaseing and taking possession of the firearm, assuming my backround check is gtg, following the laws for carrying and transportation for each of the states im in, and then declare (or register) it with my home state when i re-enter

jtmkinsd
04-03-2011, 11:25 PM
title fixed, should help with the confusion a bit

to try to be more specific with my question, if i was traveling across several state lines, say on a road trip for instance, and i decide in the middle of the trip to buy a firearm for self defence, would there be anything to prohibit me from purchaseing and taking possession of the firearm, assuming my backround check is gtg, following the laws for carrying and transportation for each of the states im in, and then declare (or register) it with my home state when i re-enter

Yes...Federal law

From ATF website:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

You may purchase a firearm in any state, but in order to take possession of it, it has to go through a California FFL.

Librarian
04-03-2011, 11:36 PM
And a longer explanation of that correct answer is at the wiki:
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

MASTERLAB
04-04-2011, 5:31 PM
thankyou, that makes more sense, not that i agree with the law, but understand why we cant take possesion across state lines