PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone collect old shotgun shells?

ivanimal
11-06-2006, 8:59 AM
I bought these from a guy that was getting rid of some stuff for a widow. I paid fair market value for these and when I got them home I realized they may have some collector value. I dont want to shoot it if it is collectable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/ammo013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/ammo007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/ammo012.jpg

Any help you can give would be great.

[Edited by Turbinator to help space out your images]

edwardm
11-06-2006, 10:43 AM
I bought these from a guy that was getting rid of some stuff for a widow. I paid fair market value for these and when I got them home I realized they may have some collector value. I dont want to shoot it if it is collectable.

Any help you can give would be great.

I only see the chamber size on the bottom-most box (2.75"). If any of them are 2", 2.25" or 2.5" shells, they might have some curiosity value (though you can still find shells in that size new, they're more rare these days). Otherwise, I'd say just use them unless they have some sentimental value to you. The boxes are probably of more interest than the shells, really.

[Edited by Turbinator to remove images in quoted text.]

sargenv
11-06-2006, 11:23 AM
I just picked up some very old original Winchester AA's (the old Mark V) in their vintage boxes. They are 16 gauge so I figure they've been in someone's closet for a long time. If it were me, I'd keep them with the cartridges in the boxes. The boxes are cool, but there are more boxes out there than the shells that go into them. You might even be able to donate them to a museum looking for period stuff like this and get a tax write off.

I still have a box of 1000 Norma Large rifle primers. You just don't see stuff like that anymore.

Vince

tankerman
11-06-2006, 1:33 PM
I only see the chamber size on the bottom-most box (2.75"). If any of them are 2", 2.25" or 2.5" shells, they might have some curiosity value (though you can still find shells in that size new, they're more rare these days). Otherwise, I'd say just use them unless they have some sentimental value to you. The boxes are probably of more interest than the shells, really.

[Edited by Turbinator to remove images in quoted text.]

It's doubtful that they are any of the shorter sizes, I think they all say 'extra long range'.
I collect shells, boxes and cartridges. Shotgun shells are definitely the more difficult to put a value on as there are just not as many collectors. There is some high dollar stuff though, mainly oddities and rare older boxes, old military stuff and some euro pieces with exotic boxes. Also older paper and brass shells, rimfire etc... Right now I have about 150 different shells and a few full boxes all older stuff. Eventually I plan on making a display. Collecting is a diease.

xenophobe
11-06-2006, 3:48 PM
To be collectible, they really need to be mint condition boxes, and have all the original shells. Boxes that are beat up are worth little to anything...

Richie Rich
11-06-2006, 4:16 PM
I have a handful of 12ga rounds with paper/cardboard hulls.

Any idea when they started using plastic?

No way I would fire them, sitting in my meager collection of ammo.

ivanimal
11-06-2006, 4:27 PM
I have a handful of 12ga rounds with paper/cardboard hulls.

Any idea when they started using plastic?

No way I would fire them, sitting in my meager collection of ammo.

When I was researching these I found out that the first plastic was this box;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/ivanimal/ammo011.jpg

I ended up with 3 boxes of them notice the top right hand corner says "All New Plastic".

The year was 1972.

M. Sage
11-06-2006, 4:55 PM
I'm scared of paper shells ever since I had one try to KB on me. It melted the friggin primer!

tankerman
11-06-2006, 5:54 PM
I'm scared of paper shells ever since I had one try to KB on me. It melted the friggin primer!

The brass can breakdown,its very thin on old shotgun shells and can rupture around the rim. They're made just strong enough for the extractor to grab.

tankerman
11-06-2006, 5:57 PM
To be collectible, they really need to be mint condition boxes, and have all the original shells. Boxes that are beat up are worth little to anything...

Thats not necessarily true, right now you can go over to Gunbroker and see empty shotgun shell boxes selling for 200+ dollars. Go to AMMO and punch in "empty box" there are plenty of expensive boxes and box collectors.