PDA

View Full Version : Must move to Chicago, how to mitigate?

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 5:34 PM
Due to circumstances not really within my control, I will be moving to Chicago in September. As a Florida resident, I own a number of guns which are illegal in Chicago (the majority of them in fact). The ones which require it have been adapted for legality in California, but the AW laws in Chicago are much stricter. For the guns I can bring with me, 2 would need to be registered as handguns (including an old cap and ball pistol, I believe), one of which would be useless because of the inability to obtain magazines of a suitable size (any possession of >10 round magazines is illegal in IL regardless of purchase date), and I would need to get a FOID in any case. The rest can't be brought to Chicago under any circumstances.

I spend a lot of time in California, hence why I frequent this board (though you wouldn't know it by my post count), and had finally gotten used to the labyrinth of laws that needs to be navigated to own firearms there and finally decided that although things could be a lot better, like they are in Florida, things in California "aren't too bad". The sum total of all of this is that I can only take 3 of my guns with me to Chicago: 2 Mosin bolt actions and my cap and ball revolver if I'm willing to jump through all the hoops to register it as a pistol. None of these are a great choice for home defense (the cap and ball revolver actually might not be too bad in the grand scheme of things in Chicago, but I haven't really used it enough at this point to be comfortable just leaving it loaded in my bedstand.) This will necessitate the purchase of a new set of firearms, at the least, and most likely a whole new set of gear (of which I have a "butt-ton"--holsters, sites, night vision stuff, slings...), and re-familiarizing myself with them to the point where I'm comfortable with using them in an emergency and confident in my ability to do so. At least I could probably stick with my current ammo choices. From what I can tell even most shotguns are illegal in Chicago since most of them can hold more than 5 shells. One of my hobbies is building AKs and that won't be possible there either.

Living in the suburbs would solve most, but not all, of the above issues, but isn't really possible and living in Indiana definitely isn't possible. At this rate, I will likely be stuck there for 5-6 years.

God help me. Someone please tell me it's not going to be as bad as I think.

bodger
04-03-2011, 5:42 PM
Hinsdale? Westmont? Any way to live in an affordab le suburb and to hell with the Chicago city limits and their Draconian laws?

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 5:48 PM
what do you mean circumstances out of your control?

Specifically, my significant other got accepted to one of the best PhD programs in her field at the University of Chicago. She's from LA and refuses to own a car in any place where she would have to ever either a) shovel it out, or b) actually drive it in snow. I have no such problems, but it's not practical for me to drive her to campus every day before work and pick her up after.

I hope that after the first winter I may be able to convince her to move to the suburbs, but as of yet, it's not happening. We could also live separately but that would double our rent and almost double our utilities and massively cut down on our together time since we're both busy as hell.

PositiveInfluence
04-03-2011, 5:53 PM
Good luck man.

Librarian
04-03-2011, 6:08 PM
See the RTA web site - http://www.rtachicago.com/#maps

Chicago has at least a functioning mass transit system; there's no need to live within the city.

Many moons ago my sister and I would ride into the city on Illinois Central commuter trains from the western suburbs.

ElvenSoul
04-03-2011, 6:18 PM
If you are brave, you could live in Gary, IN.

jl123
04-03-2011, 6:25 PM
If you have to live in the city, can your magazines be permanently modified to conform to draconian laws?

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 6:37 PM
See the RTA web site - http://www.rtachicago.com/#maps

Chicago has at least a functioning mass transit system; there's no need to live within the city.

Good point. I so far haven't been able to convince her to take the 70 minute commute via train and 2 buses each way, every day, especially at night. Nor am i sure I want her even doing that... Especially since she can't carry a weapon... Maybe the places where she would have to wait aren't so bad, but I don't really know--I've only spent 2 hours of my entire life in Chicago at this point. It seems though, that it'd be safer to live near campus, but not have to have her spending too much time walking alone at night, than to take my current cache to the suburbs and have her spend much, much more time in harms way...

When I heard that she even applied to the University of Chicago I almost vomited, but alas she did, was accepted, and that's that. :(

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 6:37 PM
If you are brave, you could live in Gary, IN.

I'd so much rather live there...

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 6:39 PM
If you have to live in the city, can your magazines be permanently modified to conform to draconian laws?

Another good point. That is a question to which I don't know the answer... How would I go about permanently modifying a pistol mag anyway? The modified AK mags I have simply don't work and they can't be completely disassembled because the rivet goes through the spring. The spring also can't be replaced...

jnojr
04-03-2011, 6:49 PM
Specifically, my significant other got accepted to one of the best PhD programs in her field at the University of Chicago. She's from LA and refuses to own a car in any place where she would have to ever either a) shovel it out, or b) actually drive it in snow. I have no such problems, but it's not practical for me to drive her to campus every day before work and pick her up after.

I hope that after the first winter I may be able to convince her to move to the suburbs, but as of yet, it's not happening. We could also live separately but that would double our rent and almost double our utilities and massively cut down on our together time since we're both busy as hell.

Don't sweat it. Leave the guns somewhere safe, get her her Ph.D, then move.

Paladin
04-03-2011, 7:04 PM
God help me. Someone please tell me it's not going to be as bad as I think.Why are you depressed? IL may go Shall Issue this year!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=415611

If I were you, I'd join (and get your s.o. to also join), the IL State Rifle Association so you can help push IL to Shall Issue ASAP.

I've also got some advice linked in my sig line re avoiding crime. It may help.

ChuangTzu
04-03-2011, 7:10 PM
Don't sweat it. Leave the guns somewhere safe, get her her Ph.D, then move.

Yeah, you're right. I just need to stop thinking about it and make the most of it. I've told myself that before, but every once in a while I panic a bit. On the plus side, I can't think of any better test of our relationship than this. If we get out of there intact, I think we'll be solid for the rest of our lives.

:D

The Shadow
04-03-2011, 7:12 PM
move to Downers Grove, Maywood, Elmhurst, Addison, Lombard, or anyplace other than Chicago. The place is a pit, don't go there unless you have to work there.

Librarian
04-03-2011, 7:56 PM
Other informative sites:
http://spotcrime.com/il/chicago -- I don't feel like signing up, but things look pretty calm in the last 2 months near U of C.

http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/

http://gis.chicagopolice.org/clearmap/startpage.htm

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime/

http://files2.chicagotribune.com/metro/crime/ -- this one also has links out to crime in suburbs, but 2007 so I don't know how useful.

And for transit crime, http://www.ctatattler.com/2006/04/your_comprehens.html has links

PyroFox79
04-03-2011, 8:16 PM
The University Of Chicago from what I remember isn't in a great area. The immediate area is nice, but not necessarily safe. Its kind of how USC is surrounded by Watts. Their gun laws are why my friend who lives there wants to move here of all places (mainly the weather and he'd rather be with the people he deployed with than his family)

InGrAM
04-03-2011, 8:36 PM

End the relationship. I don't trust a female that can not drive a vehicle :whistling:

thrillhouse700
04-03-2011, 8:41 PM
^ haha I was gunna say have you mulled over the divorce option, or open/long distance relationship!

JK, I agree with the get the PHD and then GTFO. Aside from horrible laws you must also be aware of the mass corruption :)

Alan Block
04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
If you are not brave enough for Gary, try Hammond or Schereville.

Lone_Gunman
04-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Did I read that right? She applied to Chicago without discussing it with you first? How would she feel if you applied for a job in Alaska without discussing it with her first? If you two are a team things that effect you both should be discussed, if they aren't then you aren't a team. Not to get too deep into the relationship stuff here, but how did this go down? Did she say "I applied to Chicago, and if I get in we're moving." 'Cause it sure sounds that way.

stitchnicklas
04-03-2011, 10:57 PM
i would quit ...

but that is me..

Gray Peterson
04-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Another good point. That is a question to which I don't know the answer... How would I go about permanently modifying a pistol mag anyway? The modified AK mags I have simply don't work and they can't be completely disassembled because the rivet goes through the spring. The spring also can't be replaced...

Chuang,

When is the move actually occurring?

dantodd
04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Is it possible to rent a locker at a range or gun club outside of Chicago?

I think that part of the shall issue bill might also be a state preemption bill which would do away with many of Chicago's more outrageous laws but I am not sure about that.

pitchbaby
04-04-2011, 1:53 AM
I am married and totally know what it is to appease the Mrs... but in this case, if in my shoes, I might have to say I would put my foot down and and insist we don't live in the city. Face it bro, your making a big sacrifice even making the move to begin with, if she can't recognize that and let you choose what town to live in while there all because she can't handle a drive in the snow... maybe she needs to reconsider her goals. She doesn't want it bad enough if she can't allow you the deference to pick the place your gonna live. You are doing back flips to figure out how to keep your 2nd amendment intact when all that really needs to happen is a 30 minute commute. SHEESH!

press1280
04-04-2011, 4:13 AM
Why are you depressed? IL may go Shall Issue this year!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=415611

If I were you, I'd join (and get your s.o. to also join), the IL State Rifle Association so you can help push IL to Shall Issue ASAP.

I've also got some advice linked in my sig line re avoiding crime. It may help.

That's definitely something good, but sounds like most of the OP's weapons are "evil" in the eyes of Chicago. I'd definitely agree that you should look right outside city limits along a subway route. You should probably be able to get housing a little cheaper as well as working with easier gun ownership rules by staying outside city limits.

Nodda Duma
04-04-2011, 4:37 AM
University of Chicago is a good school, but it's not in a nice area.

It'd be safer for her to live farther away and just get in and get out via commute instead of walking home alone at night.

As for driving in the snow.... It's flipping Chicago for Christ's sake, what does she think the weather does up there? The weather's worse than here in New England.

Get an apartment w/ a garage, a vehicle w/ four-wheel drive, campus parking sticker, and she'll be good to go.

glbtrottr
04-04-2011, 7:31 AM
Chicago is a great city. It's the governmental policy that's frucked.

I hate the fact you're going to live under Rahm Emmanuel's reign. He's as big a douchebag as they come.

The entire municipal system is on the take, from your parking spot, to utilities,to FOID, to everything in between. It really is the worst of big brotherism.

Just so we're on the same page...

She...applied for a program and didn't tell you about it...
She got accepted, and now you're to pick up and move....
and...she sets a term that she doesn't want to own a car and you have to make life choices with consequences based on her desires...

Am I reading this right? Niiiiice....hopefully the next 30 years things will get better. :)

Anyhow...last I recall, owning those pistols in the city was an INFRACTION rather than a misdemeanor or felony. Things may have changed post McDonald.

Second - while we lived in the Gold Coast in downtown Chicago, truly the most affluent neighborhood in downtown proper, she experienced stalking, two men rappeling into the house while pretending to be window washers to rob the place (they didn't think anyone was home), etc. The city is NOT a safe environment. I'm not talking tinfoil, paranoid delusional crap - I'm talking about the fact that violence in the city is RAMPANT, palpable, present and real. CCW does *not* exist, and the career megalibtard known as Rahm will continue to Rahm it to the citizens anyway he can...I don't expect to see CCW in Chicago anytime soon.

Is this what your girlfriend truly wants, to live in downtown, not own a car, and keep you from having guns that would otherwise help you bring protection? Seriously?

Andy Taylor
04-04-2011, 7:33 AM
Well if my wife wanted to move to Chicago, (she never would) it is one of the few places in this country I would tell her to try to come visit me when she can.

There are so many good schools that are not in Chicago.

That said, try to get her to commute. You will BOTH be happier. Once she sees the crap that surrounds the school, she will not want to live near it.

bruss01
04-04-2011, 7:58 AM

I lived/worked in the Chicago area for over a decade. You can live in Northwest Indiana and take the South Shore Line into the city. Housing is very affordable there. Check out the towns of Highland, Muenster, Schereville, etc... It is not much of a drive to drop her off at the train station in Hammond. Public transportation is excellent. If you try to live in Chicago it will be VERY EXPENSIVE just putting a roof over your heads. That same money will easily pay for a car, a garage, and even a neighbor kid to come shovel your driveway after a big snow.

ubet
04-04-2011, 9:06 AM
Op, honestly, if she applied without consulting you first, and then is telling you that she wants this and wants that, and is not going to do this, not gonna live here, not gonna do that, and doesnt want to drive, doesnt want a car, doesnt want to drive a car in the snow. I would tell her to pack her **** and gtfo. IMO, your problem is a lot deeper than moving to chicago. If my wife pulled that, I would kick her out the door and send her down the road kicking rocks. Relationships are a 2 way street, you give some, you get some. Not ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, and I am not gonna do anything for you.

Wernher von Browning
04-04-2011, 9:32 AM
I grew up in Chicago. It was a great city to grow up in. But it's no longer what I remember. There is NO FREAKING WAY you could EVER get me to move back there. Have you looked at the demographics? The crime statistics? It's your great misfortune that the S.O. has decided to go to the U of C. It's a great school, but it's a tiny island of civilization in what is basically a pesthole. You're worried about not being allowed to have guns -- in a place where you need them more than ever. The rational conclusion is that you still have free will, and can go somewhere else.

Man up.

stitchnicklas
04-04-2011, 9:32 AM
Op, honestly, if she applied without consulting you first, and then is telling you that she wants this and wants that, and is not going to do this, not gonna live here, not gonna do that, and doesnt want to drive, doesnt want a car, doesnt want to drive a car in the snow. I would tell her to pack her **** and gtfo. IMO, your problem is a lot deeper than moving to chicago. If my wife pulled that, I would kick her out the door and send her down the road kicking rocks. Relationships are a 2 way street, you give some, you get some. Not ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME, and I am not gonna do anything for you.

this^ x1,000,000

Wernher von Browning
04-04-2011, 9:44 AM
I just have to ask... what will YOU be doing while the S.O. is edjicatin' her mind?

I spent seven years commuting from the northwest side to Northwestern University. 15 miles, half an hour each way if I was lucky. In the snow if necessary, on a light, rear-drive Ford product. If it got really bad, I put snow chains on and figured on two hours -- only to get there and find not enough people showed up to have class anyway.

I spent one year commuting from the northwest side to Argonne Laboratories. 30 miles, 45 minutes or so. And I did that in the snow too -- just to prove I could. Most of my co-workers came from the U of Chicago area by carpool.

If I absolutely had to live in the area now, I sure would not live anywhere within the city limits, most likely not even in Cook County which is just as corrupt as the city itself. I still have friends there but up in Lake County. Everybody else from my childhood has fled the city, and for darn good reason. Those who are still in the area almost never go into the city anymore.

Wernher von Browning
04-04-2011, 9:52 AM
>> I've only spent 2 hours of my entire life in Chicago at this point. It seems though, that it'd be safer to live near campus, but not have to have her spending too much time walking alone at night,

Here's an idea. Spend some time and money ahead of time. Go out and look for an apartment that's walking distance to the university. (Do this in DAYLIGHT!!!) Look at the price. Look at the size. Look at the neighbors fercryinoutloud. Maybe the S.O. will realize that living near the U. of C. is not a safe option. It's different when you're in university housing; that place is like a little enclave. And still, it's the go-to place when the agenda calls for victimizin' somebody.

When you drive in to the U. of C., you at least still have your own armor around you, little though it is.

bruss01
04-04-2011, 9:53 AM

Yeah, well, I didn't want to be rude and get all up in anyone's business, but it sounds like a lot of conditions are being arbitrarily laid down. It would make me look twice at a relationship where the other person was unable to make compromise and work together as a team, but rather wanted to call all the shots themselves. Unless this is a dom/sub relationship, the OP should get some say. It's a major accommodation to be willing to uproot yourself and move across country, away from your family, your friends, your old familiar haunts... for the sake of your partner's job or education. I'm not saying don't do it, but you are sacrificing a lot... what is SHE sacrificing in return? Again, I hate to be rude or presumptive but (this happens to women with men also) what's to say she won't cast you aside after using you for support during her college? It has happened to people I've known. Sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it too.

maderashooter
04-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Ill let you burry your safe in my backyard till you get back ;)

Arondos
04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
When they outlaw guns only outlaws have guns...good luck.

If I got told I was moving to Chicago because of work I'd be looking for a new job. I barely tolerate CA's idiocy with gun laws.

berto
04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd look at living elsewhere and commuting to school/work. Not just for the gun aspect but for other quality of life issues. I've heard nothing good about the area around the university.

Life is often about compromise. You're moving to Chicagoland, perhaps you should be allowed to have some input on where you'll actually live. Separate lodging may be a good idea. I imagine she has funding that covers her expenses?

Scotty
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Just wait till she gets her PhD, then she'll get her post-doc. Once that happen, she'll never leave. Since you didn't mention what field, does she intend on getting a real job after the PhD or will she be stuck in academia forever?

Librarian
04-04-2011, 1:09 PM
Just an opinion, but I think ChuangTzu's arrangement with his SO will work out fine on their own terms.

I still think that living in the city itself would be a case of sub-optimization.

slidecatch
04-04-2011, 5:42 PM
ChuangTzu,

Not only did I grow up in Chicago, I actually grew up in Hyde Park, the neighborhood surrounding the U of C.

I can see your dilemma. I hate commuting. Especially in bad weather. On the other hand, having become a gun owner since I moved away, I really don't know if I could ever move back. I would be sorely tempted to find a home outside of Cook County and put up with the commute.

A couple of points you may not have considered:

1. As corrupt as the city is politically, they're actually pretty good about getting the snow plows out there. Out of 365 days in a year, the number of days you have to put up with really heavy snow is in the single digits. I actually drove a Mazda Miata for four years out there, and there were only a few days I really wished I had a 4X4.

2. Hyde Park sucks. Surrounded by ghettoes on three sides and the lake on the other, it's not only unsafe, but aside from cultural events associated with the university, it's dead. Do you like going out to movies, shows, restaurants? Then you're going to have to drive anyway. Living in Hyde Park is like living in a close suburb (20 minutes from downtown with no traffic) except that it lacks all the advantages of suburban living.

In conclusion, I think a lot depends on what you're used to now. Where do you live in Florida? Downtown Miami, or a more suburban area? For my money, if you're okay in principle with a commute to and from the 'burbs in other words, if the only issue is snow then I would definitely consider living in a suburb outside of Cook County.

jdogg2000
04-04-2011, 5:58 PM
Wow, Chicago... The one place where 2A supporters look at Californians with envy... Everyone I know who grew up in chicago has freaked out when they found out I have guns. How about getting a small place for her to share with a roommate as close as possible to the University and also having a place for the two of you in a nicer, more freedom loving area? If financially possible, it might give you the best of both worlds.

Mr310
04-05-2011, 6:40 PM
Congrats on the University of Chicago admittance to your wife! Go Maroon!

Chicago's pretty bad because of the gun laws but more so because of the cold. The food isn't bad, but I certainly feel that the food in California is better. There's also a lot of culture here, especially in the U Chicago environment that's great. I would completely advise against living in Hyde Park, though. It's a white and intellectual enclave inside a complete ghetto, very dangerous, and it's only going to make you want to carry your guns at all times. Check out downtown. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

Wernher von Browning
04-05-2011, 8:42 PM
>> The food isn't bad, but I certainly feel that the food in California is better.

Except the pizza. Can't get a decent Chicago pizza in CA. Not even at BJ's Chicago Pizza (close, but not quite). That's one thing Chicaga (get useta sayin' dat) is good fer.

http://www.bacinos.com/

My recommendation: Forget the usual tourist-handbook pizza joints. Go to Bacino's on N. Lincoln Ave. One favorite: the stuffed spinach and mozzarella pizza.

Hey, now there's an idea. How about living on the North Shore or in the Lincoln Park area, say near De Paul University, and take the El down to U of C? Straight shot, I think you may have to change trains once. Mind you the El isn't very safe either. (See below -- not safe at all.

Found this.
http://apartments.uchicago.edu/hpservices/transportation.html
Jaysusmurphymerryanjoseph, get this:
"Hyde Park is generally safe for pedestrians during the day, as long as you stick to main roads. At night, try to travel in groups and stay on well-traveled, well-lit streets. Keep safety first in mind at all times! There are white phones located all over campus and Hyde Park that are direct lines to police; just pick them up and hit the button for automatic dial."

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT A CESSPOOL THAT IS??? Even their own welcome wagon realizes it.

Riding the El:
"Take the Red Line south to Garfield Avenue. Get off at Garfield Avenue (be careful; this stop can seem unfriendly, especially at night)"

Unfriendly, like grumpy old Uncle Henry, or... what exactly do you mean by unfriendly?

"Metra Train
Taking the Metra is usually much faster and cleaner than the CTA"

Translation: CTA offers you Third World hygiene standards.

If you do this, resign yourself to the fact that with several years of exposure, you are almost certain to be mugged, robbed, burglarized or assaulted. It's all part of the rich experience of city living.

Mr310
04-05-2011, 8:56 PM
I take the Red Line nearly every day, and it's really not THAT bad. True, it can be a bit unsettling, but as long as you're aware of your surroundings and not listening to your iPod the entire time while being completely oblivious and/or playing on your smart phone, you'll be fine. I've been called "whitey" and stuff before, but if you don't just back down and act like female dog, you'll be fine.

Mstrty
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
You could always ask the local PD to hold onto your arsenal while you are a resident. Im sure they will return them when you move. :D