PDA

View Full Version : Cross country road-trip with a handgun

moulton
04-03-2011, 1:28 PM
This summer I am planning on driving helping my brother move out to the East coast with all of his stuff. We are renting a U-haul and are going to tow his 57 Chevy on a trailer. Seeing as he is going to have a lot of valuables in the truck and we will probably make it in a few days I was planning on bringing along my Cz-75 Sp-01. Now, comes the question, will I have any problems with bringing the gun along? I have heard some problems while passing through Chicago, that is of course if we go through the I-80 route. We could also go the southern route through more "red" states.
The two possible routes would take us through the following states:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/map.png

Route 1. California, Nevada, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia,North Carolina

Route 2. California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina

I would be flying back to SFO or Oakland through Raleigh, NC after arriving.

brushfire21
04-03-2011, 2:01 PM
Don't have enough info to help on the handgun portion so I don't want to steer you wrong, but on the travel part I have done both to various places and preferred the southern route. Depending on the weather, it may be prove better and reduced issues with icy/snow conditions. But from my limited knowledge, the southern states have less issues with firearms to boot anyways.

Have fun and enjoy the trip!

Southwest Chuck
04-03-2011, 3:23 PM
I did your southern route last summer to Tenn. New Mexico was the only state that did not recognize my Utah non-resident CCW permit. I had to LUCC in the 5-wheel I was towing for the few hours I traveled through the State and did not stay overnight because of it. Without a Utah or Florida CCW permit, take extreme care in researching the laws of the states you will be traveling through.

nicki
04-03-2011, 4:09 PM
I believe New Mexico is a LOC state.

On top of that, I believe you can carry a loaded firearm in glove or utility compartment as well since your car is considered an extension of your home.

Have a Florida CCW and it is a NON ISSUE.

Getting a non resident CCW permit means you don't have to worry about many laws since they won't apply to you.

Many states have laws regarding concealed arms and rifles/shotguns are subject to those laws.

Check each states laws before you travel as well as localities since not every state has a preemption law.

Nicki

moulton
04-03-2011, 4:20 PM

On top of that, I believe you can carry a loaded firearm in glove or utility compartment as well since your car is considered an extension of your home.

Getting a non resident CCW permit means you don't have to worry about many laws since they won't apply to you.

Many states have laws regarding concealed arms and rifles/shotguns are subject to those laws.

Check each states laws before you travel as well as localities since not every state has a preemption law.

Nicki

Thanks, right now I'm researching on getting a non resident Utah CCW. Although I think It may be a bit tough to conceal a CZ-75 SP-01.....Its a bit on the large side. I have a 4" GP-100 which would also be pretty tough to conceal. Looks like there may be a CZ-82 or P-01 in my future :D

Quser.619
04-03-2011, 5:11 PM
Depends on your size, when in Arizona I carry a full sized (4 or 5" barreled), doubled stacked magazine, pistol in my Crossbreed deluxe. But I'm 6'4" & it barely prints.

Agree w/ the out-of-state Florida CCW, am pondering getting mine, because more Western states recognize it while traveling than the Utah one.

Check the Open Carry or CCW carry sights & they generally have a run-down on what each state permits as proper carry while traveling.

Be careful CA license plates are a definite cop magnet

cruising7388
04-03-2011, 6:20 PM
This summer I am planning on driving helping my brother move out to the East coast with all of his stuff. We are renting a U-haul and are going to tow his 57 Chevy on a trailer. Seeing as he is going to have a lot of valuables in the truck and we will probably make it in a few days I was planning on bringing along my Cz-75 Sp-01. Now, comes the question, will I have any problems with bringing the gun along? I have heard some problems while passing through Chicago, that is of course if we go through the I-80 route. We could also go the southern route through more "red" states.
The two possible routes would take us through the following states:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/moulton/map.png

Route 1. California, Nevada, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia,North Carolina

Route 2. California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina

I would be flying back to SFO or Oakland through Raleigh, NC after arriving.

I don't believe any state can prevent you from transiting the state with a firearm that is not accessible, so if it was unloaded and packed in the trailer, it would not be a problem, but this sort of defeats the purpose of bringing it in the first place. If you want it immediately accessible in the driving compartment and/or on your person, then the NV/Utah/Florida permit is the way to go. But even if you get all these permits, there is still the caveat that each one of these states has different constraints on where the concealed weapon can be carried. Thus one state may permit concealed carry in, say, a restaurant or a library and another state won't. Or one state may require you advise a LEO you encounter that you're carrying while another state has no such requirement. Absorbing the ccw constraints for each of the reciprocal states requires some study. There are excellent websites that provide up to date information for this. Route 2 simplifies things since you're traveling in about half the number of states that Route 1 takes you through. If you take Route 2, you don't actually need Utah, (although I would go for it anyway), just NV and FL. NV reciprocates with AZ, TX,OK,AR,TN & NC. Florida reciprocates with NM. For California, you're SOL:mad:, but if you have it in a lockable box or bag and unloaded, at least you can keep it in the driver area when in CA.

If you intend to travel this summer with a ccw advantage, you have no time to lose in getting these permits as the wait period for permit processing can take a couple of months. The NV permit requires a Nevada licensed instructor but there are quite a few NV qualified instructors in CA. Florida requires a copy of a signed NV training certificate to accompany their application. I don't think you can download a Florida application directly from their Dept. of Agriculture website but you can enter a request on the website for them to send you applications and print cards. When you get your prints done for NV have them do your FL prints also. The charge for that is pretty nominal. Since your Nevada permit is non-res, you must provide a self-addressed stamped envelope for them. Florida does not, but the Florida app must be notarized. Nevada lists the semi-autos for which you qualify on the permit, so even if you're only taking the CZ75 across country, bring any semi-autos and a revolver you want permitted to the NV training session.

And, of course, bringing the CZ-75 back via air transportation is another can of worms to deal with.

Good luck!

chewy352
04-03-2011, 7:41 PM

Nicki

I am New Mexico is a LOC state but be careful. They have some (not nearly as many) stupid laws like Kalifornia. Of the top of my head you can not carry into a gas station that sells alcohol. You can pump gas but you can not go inside.

Check the individual state forums at opencarry.org for more info on each state you plan to pass through.