PDA

View Full Version : Ca. firearms laws

RGERBER
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Is there a small hand book that can be purchased reasonably with the Ca. weapons laws?
My thought was to buy several and keep in the glove box of each Car or Truck or to leave in gun cases.
Just in case of a search, and an uninformed officer.

SuperMachoMan
04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
'How to own a gun and stay out of jail' California Edition

great little handbook that illustrates California firearm laws (its been a while since I've read it, im not sure what itll say about other weapons, knives, clubs, spray, etc)

make sure to get the most up to date edition; the site (http://www.gunlawpress.com/) will have to most recent edition, including online updates to keep track of current law

Window_Seat
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
When it comes to instructions on how to handle traffic stops or incidents where guns are involved, the best sentence that a book can offer is:

KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, show said Officer that you mean business by showing h/er one of these Jason Davis cards (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=307715).

Erik.

Wildhawk66
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
'How to own a gun and stay out of jail' California Edition

great little handbook that illustrates California firearm laws (its been a while since I've read it, im not sure what itll say about other weapons, knives, clubs, spray, etc)

make sure to get the most up to date edition; the site (http://www.gunlawpress.com/) will have to most recent edition, including online updates to keep track of current law

Theres a great first post.

Librarian
04-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Good recommendation, but planning to show it to a nice LEO won't work out that well.

Rather, you should read and absorb it as well as you can, and become comfortable that you are doing the right things to obey the law.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki. It isn't portable, but it's a good supplement to HTOG&SOOJ(CA).

RGERBER
04-03-2011, 2:55 PM
If ever getting pulled over while commuting to or from the range. And it turns into more than just a traffic stop –
I carry two copies of this behind my driver’s license; my plan is to give him one copy and read allowed the other copy.
Officer,
With all due respect to you and the law,
I need to say up front several things,
Need to give you,
Driver’s License.
Registration.
CCW permit. – Optional
Bruce Colondny - business card optional
1-800-560-8000
Must say:
I do not consent to any search of any kind.
I invoke my Fifth Amendment right to be silent.
Am I being detained or am I free to go.

but I thought a copy of the laws would be handy to have in case he searched the truck any way - with the bullet button and high cap laws being so confusing, I will just print them and carry them.

russ69
04-03-2011, 3:22 PM
Join the CRPA, they have a little booklet.

blakdawg
04-03-2011, 4:30 PM
Good recommendation, but planning to show it to a nice LEO won't work out that well.

+1. You can also find paperback copies of the Penal Code, but it's convoluted enough (especially the firearm/CCW parts) that having a roadside discussion of the finer points isn't likely to be effective or even welcomed by LEO's. Also, no disrespect intended to LEO's, they're not expected to get every legal nuance correct - they need to do a reasonable job, and let the court system deal with unusual/unclear situations.

You'd have to have some pretty amazing people skills to come across as competent enough with the law to be worth listening to, while not appearing so aggressive/arrogant that the LEO decides you're an idiot/blowhard who's looking for trouble or just trying to start a long, pointless argument.