PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Mag Kit For Off List Lowers

SemiAutoSam
11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I Invented this device about 6 years ago (2000), I came up with the idea after reading the California DOJ's website relevant part listed below, and thought: well I'll just make a part to fit into that little hole on the side of the receiver, and would make the magazine lock into place. And as long as you could not remove the magazine without the use of a tool it would make the rifle legal with all the features that made it an "assault rifle" in the first place. At the time there weren't anywhere near as many off list lower receivers, in fact I didn't think there were any so I shelved the idea, thinking that it would be of no value. Now since there are many off list receivers even though the federal ban sunseted I brought it off the shelf as there are many people in California that could make use of this little device.

The name MAG-LOCK and the name PIN-LOCK have been registered and Patent has been applied for with both designs.

NOTE: WE HAVE 20 OF THE ORIGINAL MAG-LCK'S LEFT

SALE PRICE 20.00 OFF REGULAR PRICE.

I'm trying to raise some cash to pay the machine shop that the new design are partly outsourced to.

These do require the Modified mag catch and we will be offering The complete kit for 40.00 plus USPS Priority mail shipping for 7.00

Making a grand total of 47.00 shipped.

Price: MAG-LCK $40.00 USPS Priority mail shipping $7.00 Total with modified mag catch 47.00

NOTE: (USPS Priority mail can deliver to PO Boxes or street addresses)

FOR MAG-LCK ORDERS E MAIL YOUR INFORMATION HERE
MAG-LO(REMOVE)CK@Safe-mail.net
YOU WILL BE E MAILED THE ADDRESS TO SEND PAYMENT TO,..ONLY CASH ACCEPTED AT THIS TIME.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/PAYPALNOWAY.gif

Features:
-When installed lock is flush with the receiver, nothing to stick out and snag.
-Precision Made in CNC milling machine
-Made of 303 stainless steel
-It uses your stock Magazine release stud that must be modified.
-Device fits perfectly into the hole where the mag release button was and is secured with a small stainless steel Allen nut

When this device is installed it secures the magazine in the mag well makes the magazine non detachable *per the information listed at the State of California Dept of Justice Office of the Attorney General Website.
Link listed below.

* legal as of this date 11/05/06

ARTICLE 2. DEFINITIONS OF TERMS USED TO IDENTIFY ASSAULT WEAPONS The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1: (a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

For further information click the link below

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter39.pdf

" LEGAL INFORMATION"

"THIS PRODUCT ADDRESSES "ONLY" the detachable magazine portion of California restrictions on AR 15 type firearms that may be identified as assault Weapons and does not imply or warrant compliance with other restrictions imposed by the state of California or any other State"

MAG-LCK PATENT PENDING

Pic below was sent to us by one of our first customers.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/SASML.jpg

Pic below of MAG-LCK assembled onto the modified mag catch.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MAG-LOCK1.jpg

Below is the MAG-LCK in its retail packaging.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/MAGLOCKBAGGED.jpg

duenor
05-13-2007, 3:30 PM
put me in for one.

Technical Ted
05-13-2007, 4:41 PM
Wow. Where did this post pop up from?

Kestryll
05-13-2007, 4:43 PM
Wow. Where did this post pop up from?

AHHH!!! Necro-posting!!!

Undead thread from beyond!! FLEEE!!!!!

Technical Ted
05-13-2007, 4:51 PM
AHHH!!! Necro-posting!!!

Undead thread from beyond!! FLEEE!!!!!
Oh. I see now. Sam's got a link to this thread in his signature line.

duenor, you might want to start a dialogue with SAS via the e-mail he posted.

SemiAutoSam
05-17-2007, 8:23 PM
NEW PINhttp://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifMAGhttp://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifLCKcoming out soon. If you would like to pre purchase this item E-Mail me at the address listed in my sig line as the last time there will be an extremely limited run of this design lock.

If the sales warrant more production then they will be run again.
Also since the internal parts are outsourced and the lock is more complex than the original lock.

The few lines below are from a PM that I have sent to various customers.
Since the questions about the PIN-LCK are being asked by quite a few of the calguns members I figured I would post the response here to save time.

The main difference is with the PIN-LCK the lock is all in one or encapsulated design the spring, the Nut and the body of the lock is all in one piece.

Nothing to come loose or lose.

the material is stainless steel not aluminum and it just drops into the hole where the mag release button was. Its a snug fit no doubt but not a press fit IE No need to hammer it in and risk the possibility of damaging your expensive receiver.

I feel that its a better design but then I'm its creator so I suppose that would make me a bit biased.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/PML1.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/PML4.jpg

http://205.155.126.101/scott/break.gifhttp://205.155.126.101/scott/break.gif

gn3hz3ku1*
05-18-2007, 7:38 AM
it might help to describe some features of the new lock for those that dont understand it by looking at it.. im assuming it is used as tool release for mags?

toolman9000
05-18-2007, 7:42 AM
your keyboard is dirty.... ewwww.

Jicko
05-18-2007, 7:54 AM
it might help to describe some features of the new lock for those that dont understand it by looking at it.. im assuming it is used as tool release for mags?

I believed that it behaves similar to the "Bullet Button"

SemiAutoSam
05-18-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry yes my keyboard is filthy the maid service around here (machine shop) sucks.

At times when I access cad files and such my hands have oil and grease on them.
http://ti2.auctiva.com/ti/itemplate/tpdots.jpghttp://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/PML1.jpghttp://ti2.auctiva.com/ti/itemplate/tpdots.jpg

Anyhow here is how the lock works: with the lock installed as JR suggested you push in with a Nail or Pin punch there is approximately .200" of travel just enough to let you drop the magazine but not enough to let the mag catch hold open on the left side of the receiver.

We are hoping to make enough to meet the minimum of the shop that does the Black Oxide coating as many past customers have asked that the lock have a black coating.
This of course is an added expense as there is also a increase in the postal rates and the shipping will reflect that.
I believed that it behaves similar to the "Bullet Button"

vikingshelmut
05-18-2007, 3:02 PM
Sounds nice. I have to ask... why would I want one of these compared to a bullet button? Are they easier to install/remove? The BB is a pain to remove if one wants to. Just wanted to know as I might want one if it is better than the BB.

SemiAutoSam
05-18-2007, 3:40 PM
Yes my lock is a lot easier to install and remove.

It installs and is removed with the same Allen Wrench that my Original MAG-LOCK was.

My locks are not for everyone as they are precision made in a CNC Milling Machine in small batches. The materials are more expensive as are the inner components. Which are outsourced so that makes them also more expensive.

Whether is better than the Bullet Button is for for the customer to decide I cant say its better as I don't own a Bullet Button. Its a completely different design the mechanism is not exposed for one thing its encapsulated within the body of the lock so there is nothing to fall out or no screws to loosen No cover to come off. I feel its better but then I'm the inventor of this design so I'm somewhat biased.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As is quality.

Sounds nice. I have to ask... why would I want one of these compared to a bullet button? Are they easier to install/remove? The BB is a pain to remove if one wants to. Just wanted to know as I might want one if it is better than the BB.

vikingshelmut
05-18-2007, 3:43 PM
Sounds nice to me. If you are making them in black, I'll track this thread to see when they are available!

Jicko
05-18-2007, 3:57 PM
Whether is better than the Bullet Button is for for the customer to decide I cant say its better as I don't own a Bullet Button. Its a completely different design the mechanism is not exposed for one thing its encapsulated within the body of the lock so there is nothing to fall out or no screws to loosen No cover to come off. I feel its better but then I'm the inventor of this design so I'm somewhat biased.

+1 on the quality, from the pics so far.

But then from the picture, I can't see much "different" than the Bullet-Button, since neither do the Bullet-Button have any screws to loosen nor cover to come off.

Maybe you should shred more light on what make yours better, except the obvious material quality. (+1 on the quality of your old SAS lock too!)

SemiAutoSam
05-18-2007, 4:13 PM
They will be available within about 2 to 3 weeks after we receive payment for 10+ Locks. The black oxide process is the last step before they are assembled and shipped And making them in black will add at least a week to the delay in delivery.

Sounds nice to me. If you are making them in black, I'll track this thread to see when they are available!

JR
Its better IMHO because I came up with the idea without any outside influences. But because of the unique design I don't really want to give that away right away so maybe that is the reason at least to me why its better. Also again IMVHO one of the reason not to try to comply with any DOJ memo or something like that but since the outside hole where the "TOOL" is inserted is of a smaller size not just any tool will drop the mag when one uses a cartridge its a tool that is very available the tool my new lock uses is not so available and in my eyes this makes it somehow safer. I'm also looking into producing a tool that one can wear on the finger to activate the mag release. It will be a two part tool a ring and a stud that threads into the ring. You would order your ring size and then the ring is drilled and tapped to the corresponding thread. I don't mean to be cryptic about why its better maybe its not better maybe its just different and manufactured of materials of a higher quality. whether its better is for the customer to decide.

I'm reluctant to state its better and have someone say no its just different.

+1 on the quality, from the pics so far.

But then from the picture, I can't see much "different" than the Bullet-Button, since neither do the Bullet-Button have any screws to loosen nor cover to come off.

Maybe you should shred more light on what make yours better, except the obvious material quality. (+1 on the quality of your old SAS lock too!)

Jicko
05-18-2007, 4:17 PM
Cool.... we'll do a detailed product review once yours in available then!! :cool2:

gn3hz3ku1*
05-18-2007, 4:19 PM
price?

SemiAutoSam
05-18-2007, 4:45 PM
The lock will be in the area of $50.00 USD plus USPS Priority mail shipping in the area of $7.00 for at least the first 10 If the actual price is higher the first 10 board members that purchase the lock will have received a better deal than subsequent customers.

price?

Keep in mind we also have available 25 of the original design locks.

See first post within thread.

PLINK
05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
If the new lock is made with the same quality as the original then these should be very nice. I have a few original locks and they are top notch.

Sam, will these new locks use a standard unmodified mag catch?

Jicko
05-19-2007, 2:26 PM
The lock will be in the area of $50.00 USD plus USPS Priority mail shipping in the area of $7.00 for at least the first 10 If the actual price is higher the first 10 board members that purchase the lock will have received a better deal than subsequent customers.

SAS: imho, $50(for the silver one) is kinda steep.... vs bullet-button @ $24.... yes, i know that your material is more expensive, and the finish is better..... maybe you should consider cheaper material just to be competitive... since the form, fit & function is "the same" or very similar.... try consider lowering the "MSRP"....

SemiAutoSam
05-19-2007, 2:36 PM
That was one of the considerations when designing the lock.
Yes the lock will work with the standard mag catch.

However the Original design MAG-LOCK will still need a modified catch as will the "Flush to the receiver" PIN-MAG-LOCK if we ever release that item.

Thanks for the Positive Feedbackhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/icon/iconPos_16x16.gif Plink.

If the new lock is made with the same quality as the original then these should be very nice. I have a few original locks and they are top notch.

Sam, will these new locks use a standard unmodified mag catch?

50.00 would most likely be for the black oxide lock. I suppose I could leave them in a natural finish and that would take a few bucks off the MSRP.

As I'm sure you know every step in the manufacturing process costs $$$. I'm honestly doing my best to produce this lock within my standards of manufacturing but keep it within a reasonable price. Remember this item is made in California not in China.

SemiAutoSam
06-10-2007, 5:59 PM
Special MAG-LOCK Sale.

We had some internal parts (Allen Nuts) from the Original design left over so I made a small run of the Original design MAG-LOCK.

These do require the Modified mag catch and we will be offering The complete kit with the Modified mag Catch for 40.00 plus USPS Priority mail shipping for 7.00

Making a grand total of 47.00 shipped.

We have 24 of the original design MAG-LOCK'S left as of right now.

TO commit to purchase either leave a PM message or contact via E-Mail
The address is in my sig line.

Guys If I'm not able to sell these I wont have the green to come out with the new design.

SemiAutoSam
07-12-2007, 3:08 PM
I have a few of my ORIGINAL DESIGN locks left.

For anyone that needs one.

E Mail in Sig line or PM to purchase.

mcubed4130
07-14-2007, 8:28 PM
SAS,

I'm rather confused. Is your new Maglock available yet? Which from reading this thread, could be termed precision Bullet Button - with easy install, uninstall, and reinstall?

If this is ready, can you post an authoritative guide on what your lock does, how it works, how to install, how to uninstall, how much it costs, how to buy one, etc?

-M3

SemiAutoSam
07-14-2007, 8:57 PM
No the new lock is not done yet I have been working on a few design changes to lessen the initial cost and have not heard back from the machine shop that has the correct equipment to make the new design internal parts.
The new design I'm also still looking for an internal part for the new lock that is part of what is holding it up. I call the PIN-MAG-LOCK(PP) or PIN-LOCK(PL) for short.

I will make contact with the machine shop Monday and see what the hold up is.
As soon as the new lock is finished I will post such a guide.

But a short description would be It would act just like the Bullet Button with the exception that it would not use a bullet it will use a small pin punch to release the magazine. It will stick out from the receiver approximately .375 or 3/8". It will use the standard mag catch. The finish will be either black oxide or natural 303 stainless steel. My lock will be a very close fit to the receiver but will not be a press fit. It will be installed by simply placing the lock in the hole where the mag release button and spring were previously. Placing a small amount of loctite that is provided in the package with the lock and then inserting the mag catch into the hole on the left side of the receiver, inserting the Allen wrench into the outside hole shown in the pic below turning the encapsulated allen nut inside a specific number (to be announced) of turns.
that it its all installed. Reverse the above procedure to remove.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/PML1.jpg

Currently I have about 20-25 of my Original design MAG-LOCK in stock I sell them for 30.00 for the lock 10.00 for the modified mag catch and 7.00 for Priority mail shipping. for a total of 47.00

SAS,

I'm rather confused. Is your new Mag lock available yet? Which from reading this thread, could be termed precision Bullet Button - with easy install, uninstall, and reinstall?

If this is ready, can you post an authoritative guide on what your lock does, how it works, how to install, how to uninstall, how much it costs, how to buy one, etc?

-M3

SemiAutoSam
07-28-2007, 11:18 AM
The new lock will be produced after the current stock of my Original design MAG-LOCK is sold.

If you have some extra disposable cash and would like to see the new design come out buy my Original design.

only $47.00 shipped.

I want to debut the new design right now but want to blow out the stock of original design MAG-LOCK'S first.

J_Rock
10-09-2007, 10:07 PM
bump for any updates :D

fmlyman
12-08-2007, 5:04 PM
Hi, SAS

Couldn't wait for your new mag lock design so I made my own. Here is a link to a thread here at Calguns:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=77933

It amazes me how some people think that machining something out of barstock can be done cheaply. A Prince kit may be only 15 bucks , but you get what you pay for. Or do you? Drilling and tapping a thru hole can be done in about 5 minutes on a cheapo drill press.

Something that has to be turned, milled, edm machined on CNC machines is far more expensive to produce. I have rifles that are worth in the 2K range why would I want to put a something that looks like you made it in your backyard on them. I know it gets the job done but so would a toothpick and some used chewing gum...Thanks for your creativity and inspiration