PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or are Remington Golden Bullets just nasty?

Dion
04-02-2011, 8:19 AM
Trying to go "budget", I bought two 525 boxes of this stuff and it gave me nothing but jams, inaccuracy and just outright horrible performance. The only gun it fed without failure is my old Sears Mod 3T.

Both my Neos and Marlin 60 just choked on the stuff.

Anybody else have these issues? I can imagine one gun having a sensitive palate, but two?

Anything less than Federal shall not be bought! :cool:

Bartin
04-02-2011, 8:42 AM
Golden Turds. Definitely stay away

rromeo
04-02-2011, 8:45 AM
Yup, the suck.

chickenfried
04-02-2011, 8:46 AM
:shrug: I don't mind em

dangerranger
04-02-2011, 8:48 AM
I wont buy any more Rem rimfire for any reason. they are dirty, inaccurate, and a large % of them fail to fire. its a shame because they used to make great ammo. after having problems with them I pulled a few of the bullits from some of the duds. what I found was that the priming didnt go all the way around. so I pulled a few of the untried bullits, and found that they all have the thinnest line of priming material, and a large percent didnt even make it all the way around the rim. so I pulled a few from other brands of like cost ammo. all I checked had a generous line of priming compound all the way around. this is just Rem cheaping out on the priming.

chesterthehero
04-02-2011, 8:59 AM
i cant stand them.. only .22 ammo i have ever had issue with..

bbguns44
04-02-2011, 9:17 AM
My Marlin 795 zips through them like a sewing machine. Great ammo.

psango
04-02-2011, 9:24 AM
It's not just you

rromeo
04-02-2011, 9:34 AM
My Marlin 795 zips through them like a sewing machine. Great ammo.

Out of 2,100 rounds of Federal bulk, my 795 had less failures than a partial box of Golden Bullet.

pilote
04-02-2011, 9:41 AM
worst of all rimfire bulk...inconsistent power (sometimes won't rack the slide open on last shots)...more duds in a box than any other brand...and of course very dirty...and remington's thunderbolts have the rep of even being more dirty and leading up
barrels...

why do some people love them?.. because usually it's the cheapest priced .22 available and as long as they fire most of the time the "plinker lead slinger" does not care about ANYTHING else but the very cheapest ammo available...who cares about accuracy, inconsistency and the occasional dud when you're wailing away indiscriminately just for the sensation of doing so...

the first (and last) two boxes of GB's i got from a big5 sale; after about 100rnds i'd had enough...i don't do freebees with ammo; i pitched them into the pacific ocean...i'll stick with cci blazer as a low cost option, but i buy and stockpile cci minimags the most...

Blue Ridge Reef
04-02-2011, 9:44 AM
I've shot at least 20,000 of them and find them to feed (mostly through a Walther P22, no less) better than bulk Federal. I use CCI Mini Mags nowdays almost exclusively. The difference in accuracy and cleanliness is noticeable. For a half penny a round more, it's worth it to me. Maybe you got a bad batch? Maybe you do have two picky guns? Maybe my 22's just perform well with RGBs? Hard to say from a small sample group, but the feedback here seems to support your theory. Are you using RGB hollow points? I did find those to be a slight step down.

Fjold
04-02-2011, 9:46 AM
I have more problems with them than any other brand of 22 rimfire ammo.

AM9000
04-02-2011, 9:52 AM
Yup, they suck.
Same experience with ftf. Seems like one out of 25 rounds some times.

Tank 57
04-02-2011, 1:10 PM
This is not the first thread on this subject.I shot off what I had and will not buy it again.

CSACANNONEER
04-02-2011, 1:15 PM
I bought two cases of them back when they were under $100/case and California was trying to pass a nickle a round tax. Anyway, they work fine out of any non semi-auto/FA gun. They are cheap and their priming compound is not uniformly distributed. This causes a lot of failure to fires but, repositioning the shell in the chamber is usually all it takes. I ended up trading just over a case and a half of them for a Ruger 300WM.

adrenaline
04-02-2011, 1:30 PM
I JUST came back from the Gun Room trying to dump all my Golden Bullets. I did about 400 through my Sig 522 with one FTF. The first strike...it didn't fire (you can see the contact with the round). I reloaded it and it went bang.

While my Sig eats it up, it IS PLAIN NASTY. I had to keep wiping my fingers on my jeans because it looked like a fairy sh!+ all over my hands with gold pixie dust. :)

Packy14
04-02-2011, 1:42 PM
pure garbage. I won't use them even if given free. Strike that, even if paid to use.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-02-2011, 2:32 PM
I don't care so much about the dirtiness or lack of accuracy with Remington Golden Bullets. It is plinking ammo after all. It's the huge numbers of failures to fire that bother me. I have crusty, tarnished old .22 ammo from the 1950's (the projectiles have turned white) that are more reliable than Golden Bullets.

dr_communist
04-02-2011, 2:51 PM
ruger standard
ruger 10/22
phoenix hp-22

all run the Remington golden bullets just fine

jimbos44
04-02-2011, 9:17 PM
Quit using them in gsg and buckmark. Gonna finish them off with the henry lever action. After that, I'll never buy them again

Rob_G
04-02-2011, 9:43 PM
My Sig Mosquito Loves them, right on par with minimags but feels like a stronger cycle to the action.

Chris J
04-02-2011, 9:47 PM
I just got a couple of boxes of them from Big 5 a week or so ago (on sale there) and ran 200 rounds through my P22. Can't complain; not one FTF. Kind of dirty compared to CCI though.

Beatone
04-02-2011, 9:59 PM
i cant stand them.. only .22 ammo i have ever had issue with..

Same here. I sold the stuff I had.

BayAreaShooter
04-02-2011, 11:17 PM
I will never buy any Remington Golden Bullet. I learned my lesson the first time around.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
My Kimber 1911 conversion loves them. My Ciener AR conversion will run on them, but not at their best. My 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel doesn't like them at all.

.22LRs are oftentimes ammo picky beasts. Most of my .22s won't run at all on Federal bulk (although the Ciener conversion does). Does that mean that Federal bulk is garbage, too? Really, folks. Instead of whining that the ammo is junk, find the ammo that your particular .22 likes. Don't be surprised when someone else tells you that the ammo your .22 runs so well on is filthy garbage. It'll happen.

In the meantime, anyone who would like to dispose of their filthy, dirty, unreliable GB can send it to me. I'll burn it up for you.

stitchnicklas
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
last time i bought those was in the 90's

Cali-Shooter
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
LOL @ "Golden Turds!" Federal's .22 LR is the win. It still occasionally stovepipes or jams my Ruger 22/45 Hunter, but still great range stuff.

Sanderhawk
04-03-2011, 7:37 AM
I use them in my Ruger 10/22 with no problem. I just bought a Walthers P22 pistol and it hates lead nose bullets but the gold bullet cycled through just fine. Maybe you just got a bad batch or something.

shooting4life
04-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I won't buy them. Only thing I'll buy now are the federal bulk packs.

bjl333
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I don't like'em. They have about a 5% failure to fire in 5 of my rimfires!!

donw
04-03-2011, 10:58 AM
they operate in my BA and single shot rifles but i don't use them in semi-auto. if they FTF...they get jettisoned...

i use the federal bulk, CCI and American Eagle by federal, in my AR and 10/22.

tuna quesadilla
04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
I've used thousands of rounds of various loadings of CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Remington .22LR ammunition. Hands down, the Remington Golden Bullets were THE WORST. It was so inconsistent you could actually hear the difference from shot to shot. They were also very dirty and they caused jams galore.

pisarski
04-03-2011, 12:12 PM
they work in my marlin model 60 and in my kimber 1911 ok but are dirty as all getout

biloutkast
04-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I got a bunch of failures when I tried them. They shoot dirty and leave your hand dirty as well.

Turo
04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I've had the same issues as you Dion, in the same guns as well. (Neos and Marlin Model 60)

Somebody here on CGN did a little statistics and measured a number of RGB and Federal .22lr and found that the RGB was not only different sized on average (i think they were 2-3 thousandths larger in almost every dimension) but they varied radically from round to round, whereas the Federals were the "proper" .22lr size on average and had much tighter tolerances.

Now, I've had my issues with Federals too, but by and large I have much more issues with the RGB.

Oh, and I'm going to use that "fairy poop" comment next time I shoot them LOL. :D

ETA: Here's that comparison, pretty good reading:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=277018

Dead*Reckoned
04-03-2011, 1:29 PM
I use them in my Ruger 10/22 with no problem. I just bought a Walthers P22 pistol and it hates lead nose bullets but the gold bullet cycled through just fine. Maybe you just got a bad batch or something.

That's funny, my 1022 NEEDS lead nose bullets, good for me cause those blazer bulk packs are pretty cheap.

moosegun
04-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I've never used them just because I've seen so many bad review on them.. I stick with federal champion (745 I think).. they come in bulk 525 rounds. in average I only get 1 ff in a box. not bad for bulk ammo.

cmichini
04-04-2011, 6:58 AM
:shrug: I don't mind em

I have some. I use them. They're dirty, not match grade and sometimes FTF.

I don't LIKE them, but since my rimfires are not HD purposed, I don't mind them either.

Mister BLASTEE
04-04-2011, 7:13 AM
I hate them too. Same as the Viper ammo. Lots of duds & very dirty.

tozan
04-04-2011, 7:15 AM
Garbage... lots of missfires and jamming

.22guy
04-04-2011, 7:22 AM
They are generally regarded as pretty low quality. They don't work well in most semi-autos, but they do work great with my Ceiner .22 1911 conversion.

Kryptyde
04-04-2011, 9:09 AM
Not a fan either. I get reasonable results with them with my CZ 452 but I can get just as good results with other inexpensive ammo and not get that gold flake stuff all over anything.

Wont buy again and wont put the remaining rounds through my Kidd 10/22 either.

Why buy them when you can have blazers or federal for the same or less $$?

n2stackin
04-04-2011, 9:20 AM
+1 on Blazer and Federal, but use CCI whenever I can. In my experience, Remington and Winchester are dirty and inconsistent.

Blue Ridge Reef
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Why buy them when you can have blazers or federal for the same or less $$?

Because they shoot better than either (for my guns). :)
I still say stick with Mini Mags, and pay a few extra bucks per $500. It's still really cheap.

Big Shrek
04-04-2011, 3:29 PM
RGB's are worse than ARMSCOR ammo...and that's saying a LOT.

Jpach
04-04-2011, 3:36 PM
I love them. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I never have duds and they perform great in my 10/22. And from my experience, they perform better on rabbits than the average .22. Thats pretty much why I get theml; they kill rabbits quickly.

mindwip
04-04-2011, 9:29 PM
I thought my marlin 600 was broken, them I used somting other then rem bullets no more issues!

IrishPirate
04-04-2011, 9:32 PM
they run just fine through my Mossberg 702 :shrug:

where are you located? i'll give you $20 for both of them if you're close

Mail Clerk
04-08-2011, 5:44 AM
Trying to go "budget", I bought two 525 boxes of this stuff and it gave me nothing but jams, inaccuracy and just outright horrible performance. The only gun it fed without failure is my old Sears Mod 3T.

Both my Neos and Marlin 60 just choked on the stuff.

Anybody else have these issues? I can imagine one gun having a sensitive palate, but two?

Anything less than Federal shall not be bought! :cool:

Dion,

22 ammo is a very picky cartridge so the ammo you bought may not feed 100% in every 22 rinfire rifle on he market. Personally I find Remington to be decent if you give it a chance. I have found lots of Remington, CCI, Eley and Federal to all have issues from time to time. Of course quality control is always a factor but compare your troubles to how much is manufactured day to day? When shooting any rinfire rifle or pistol you must keep records and be more selective when heading out to your favorite range. Always keep in your battery at least three brands.

Mail Clerk

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
why do some people love them?.. because usually it's the cheapest priced .22 available and as long as they fire most of the time the "plinker lead slinger" does not care about ANYTHING else but the very cheapest ammo available...who cares about accuracy, inconsistency and the occasional dud when you're wailing away indiscriminately just for the sensation of doing so...

the first (and last) two boxes of GB's i got from a big5 sale; after about 100rnds i'd had enough...i don't do freebees with ammo; i pitched them into the pacific ocean...i'll stick with cci blazer as a low cost option, but i buy and stockpile cci minimags the most...

I personally like em because they are the only reliable ammo in my Advantage arms .22 conversion for my glock...even your holy cci jams up this gun yet golden bullets keep on shootin...must be doin somthing right. Oh yeah an federal jams it up every other shot! The only issue any of my guns have is my custom 10/22 w/math barell does not shoot em with great accuracy...they do cycle an shoot just fine tho! As my good buddy always says "YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY!"

Dion
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Dion,

22 ammo is a very picky cartridge so the ammo you bought may not feed 100% in every 22 rinfire rifle on he market. Personally I find Remington to be decent if you give it a chance. I have found lots of Remington, CCI, Eley and Federal to all have issues from time to time. Of course quality control is always a factor but compare your troubles to how much is manufactured day to day? When shooting any rinfire rifle or pistol you must keep records and be more selective when heading out to your favorite range. Always keep in your battery at least three brands.

Mail Clerk

Yup and yup. Like I said, my very old Winchester 190 eats them up. I just scoped the thing, so I'm curious to test the accuracy of GB vs. Federal, CCI, etc. with that gun. I won't even bother with my Marlin or Neos, though.

Anybody have experience with Winchester 555?

saigarocks
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
DITTO - FEDERAL IS A BETTER CHEAP 22 ROUND AT LEAST IN MY RUGER AND SAVAGE 64

Dutch3
04-13-2011, 4:44 PM
I have found lots of Remington, CCI, Eley and Federal to all have issues from time to time. Of course quality control is always a factor...Always keep in your battery at least three brands.

Got it...

Winchester...235 rounds.
Remington...550 rounds.
Federal Bulk...5400 rounds.

Socalman
04-25-2011, 2:35 PM
A few years ago I would buy a box every so often to "stock up" since I figured a certain administration would ban ammunition. Fast forward two years and I have given the old bolt action single shot Sears gun back to big bro and just recently bought a Ruger 10/22. I bought a few 525 round boxes of Federal Champions at Turners and also picked up a few boxes of other ammo. I spent several hours today at Burro Canyon and did not have a single problem with ANY ammo, including 100 rounds of RGB. I did feel that the Remington's were a little less accurate at around 50 yards then the Winchester, Federals or the CCI Mini Mags, but I did not have any problems.

I think ammo for guns is like pizza and sex.......everyone has their own idea of what is good.

bothenook
04-25-2011, 3:40 PM
made a big mistake buying a case of the 525 bulk packs on line when ammo was so scare that it was impossible to find on the shelves.
i took 5 pistols including my S&W 617 revolver, and a couple of rifles ranging from a 1022, a Marlin M60, and a Henry's golden boy.
IF they fired, no 5 rounds sounded the same on ignition in any of the gun. The semi autos, both pistols and rifles encountered at least 2 ftf per 10 shot, with many of the ones going off jamming. Even the Henrys, which will shoot ANYTHING choked on them.
Consensus at the range was that i was a silly silly boy for buying 5250 of them. Iv'e shot them off, by forcing myself to take a box and running them through at least one of my non semi's until they were all gone.
and the fairy comment? priceless.
dollar for dollar, the best (or at least most consistent) ammo for the price has been CCI Blazers. Every one of my fine and not extremely extensive collection of 22LRs operate just fine, including my Kimber 22 target, which usually doesn't like lead boolits

Diamondback68
04-25-2011, 5:14 PM
Just shot 1100 rounds with the family yesterday at Rainbow. Bought two boxes of 550's at Wallymart down the road. Had 10 or more FTF per box and another 10 I would not load because they were obviously bent right out of the box..

Spent a lot of time with tools removing ftf and stovepipes from actions. Never again will I buy this ammo.

WilliamAnderson
04-25-2011, 8:13 PM
Seriously, I have to be very desperate and a little crazy to ever jump on Remington .22 ammo. Just asking for trouble. I've personally shot Remington thunderbolt and Remington golden bullets. The Golden bullets were more reliable than the thunders. It's really horrible ammo. If you are shooting like a single shot bolt action .22 than you are good to go. Not much can go wrong but I have to stress how crappy that ammo is. I've had great luck with Federal bulk and Winchester bulk. Both of those ammo choices will run you about 20.00 for over 500 per box. I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Skunk2Racer
04-26-2011, 2:36 PM
Reading the S&W M&P15-22 Safety & Instruction Manual Just about Everything Remington makes "DOES NOT RECOMMEND" list
1st on list remington golden bullet, remington target 22, remington thunderbolt

triplestack3
04-26-2011, 2:58 PM
I haven't shot Remington 22LR for quite some time. My MkIII really likes CCI Blazers. My Umarex M16 likes Federal. I tried flip flopping and results were lass than stellar. The Winchester X stuff in the silver/gray box wasn't too bad either.

Sanderhawk
04-26-2011, 4:05 PM
That's funny, my 1022 NEEDS lead nose bullets, good for me cause those blazer bulk packs are pretty cheap.

My 10/22 loves the lead bullets also which is great cause I just bought 5000 rnds and my walthers P22 I just got hates lead only works with jacketed bullets.

IllTemperedCur
04-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Terribly unreliable in my 10/22 and MkII, around 20-30% misfires. Curiously, they feed & extract just fine from both guns, at least until the carbon and grit builds up. From my 10/22, they're actually a bit more accurate than CCI MiniMags. Weird.

I'm doing all CCI now. Blazer and MiniMags.

Something else weird about the RGBs, they feed perfectly through my Ultimate Cliploader that I use for the MkII, but all the CCIs tend to hang up on the last round. Still, I'd rather have reliable ignition.

rojocorsa
04-27-2011, 1:09 PM
Embrace the suck [of the Golden turds].

I prefer CCI Blazers and Winchesters. I've not bought any Federal .22, but I will make a point to next time.

Mail Clerk
04-28-2011, 6:15 AM
What serious 22 shooters do is test ammo by brand names and lot number printed on the inside of the box flap. If the accuracy is to your likeing using the rifle of your choice go back to the exact same store and buy the same ammo with the same lot number. Twenty two ammo is produced in extreme large quantities in lots.

Mail Clerk

Baga
04-28-2011, 9:40 AM
If your referring to the bulk .22LR Remington Golden Bullet. It's dirty and jams most of the time. I was using it with my GSG-5. I don't recommend it.

tba02
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
My P22 loves RGB's (though I agree the dud rate is higher - 10/525).
My 10/22 prefers FED Bulk (RGB's FTE once in a while).
My Glenfield 60 doesn't care what bulk ammo you load.

It's pretty well known that RGB's and the P22 play well together though and I can go about 5000 rounds before a cleaning is mandated.

Southpaw45
04-29-2011, 7:14 PM
Im surprised they even went off let alone jammed your guns. I avoid Remington 22 ammo like the plage.