View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 317 .22 revolver - info?

04-01-2011, 11:28 AM
I've done a search on here and other forums, but it's hard to really find any good info or reviews on the S&W 317 .22LR revolver. I just mostly see a lot of WTB posts for them.

They are pretty expensive from what I can see (around $550 from GB or Bud's), so close to $650-$700 after shipping & transfer/DROS fees. Almost kind of not worth it at that price, but I'm wondering if it really is a good & reliable gun to get.

I saw them using the 317 on Top Shot this past week, and it looked pretty good and it holds 8 shots. Does anyone who has one, or has owned one in the past, have anything good or bad to say about them? I'd like to pick one up to plink around with at the range. But for the price difference of the 317 over say a 360 .357 on sale right now ($459), would the cost-savings difference really be there for .22LR ammo compared to .38spl ammo?

04-01-2011, 2:40 PM
I am still trying to figure out wht 22lr revolvers are so
DAMM expensive

04-01-2011, 2:51 PM
It makes very little sense for them to be this expensive. The only thing I can imagine is supply and demand. They don't make a lot of them, and so the demand on the one's they do have is severe.

I was reading that thread about Colt Manufacturing having financial issues....I have to believe they could sell 500 new Diamondback 22 revolvers a year if they just made them - like they did 20 years ago.

I am still trying to figure out wht 22lr revolvers are so
DAMM expensive

04-01-2011, 3:00 PM
my god that's what they used? I gotta know what kinda ammo they used for the challenge, make sheer luck less a factor.

Professor Frink
04-01-2011, 3:25 PM
I had one. At the time it was the lightest revolver in the S&W line. I believe it still is.

Mine had an exceptionally heavy DA trigger. I put in a Wolff reduced power spring kit which made it much more shootable. It was a fun little pistol, but more of a novelty. It was pretty much an up-your-nose gun as far as accuracy. I don't think I ever shot it at more than 10 feet. At that distance it hit where I aimed it.

A friend offered me twice what I had in it, so off it went.

None of this helps much, but thats about all I can remember about it.

04-01-2011, 4:10 PM

04-02-2011, 6:25 AM
but they were hitting 1.5" round plates at 35' with that thing.

oh, the the OP pic is the non-target model.

04-02-2011, 7:42 AM
If you are looking to plink with it I would recommend either a 617 or a Model 17 or 18 if you can find one. The latter models were brought back by S&W as part of their classic line. The 617 and its related versions are made on the K frame, and will provide a longer sight radius and more heft.