PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Canada, Question About Bringing Handguns

jrara
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Hello All,

I am driving up to Canada this afternoon due to a death in the family.

I wanted to take my handguns (1911 and SP2022) with me so Maybe I can shoot around with my cousins who never shot one before.

What is the best way to declare them to Canadian Border Patrol?

Should I just call ahead to see what is needed?

paul0660
04-01-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/

jtmkinsd
04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Leave your guns at home...seriously.

morrcarr67
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
http://www.panda.com/canadaguns/

That seems harder than it's worth. I would just leave them @ home.

jrara
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks For the Advice Guys.

I will leave them with my trustworthy friend because my house will be empty for 2-3 weeks.

rogervzv
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Leave your guns at home...seriously.

Jesus, after reading that link about Canadian gun laws, I think that I agree with you. And I thought that our own People's Republic of California was bad...

Oceanbob
04-01-2011, 5:08 PM
Jesus, after reading that link about Canadian gun laws, I think that I agree with you. And I thought that our own People's Republic of California was bad...

I had a California friend who lost his father in Seattle. He was heading to ALASKA anyway with his wife/kids and their Camper so he drove up to Seattle for the Funeral and other personal family business.

His Dad was a decorated WW2 hero. Big time. And among the normal inheritance he left his SON the WW2 Colt .45 Auto that he carried all over Europe.

My friend stowed the weapon in the CAMPER and never thought twice about it. Later when the family business was concluded they headed to Vancouver BC and at the border check point, his camper was searched and they found the .45 auto.

The kept the weapon and refused him entry into the Country. (banned him)

No explanation was good enough.

Bad news.

InGrAM
04-01-2011, 5:38 PM
Screw Canada!

Jk.

jyo
04-01-2011, 6:06 PM
Probably not a good idea---take an 870 with 20" barrel and no magazine extension---that shoiuld be much easier. I am not a lawyer and this is not leagal advice---check Canada laws!

Bigtwin
04-01-2011, 6:13 PM
Hello All,

Should I just call ahead to see what is needed?

Yep, this is the right answer! My buddy was headed out to sturgis motorcycle rally and planned to go up into Canada along the way, he called ahead (thankfully), they told him the providence he planned to go to was a no go for the pistol he had. Other providences allow it but there are jumps(paperwork and time) to go through.

Sorry for your loss!

jrara
04-01-2011, 6:34 PM
Yep, this is the right answer! My buddy was headed out to sturgis motorcycle rally and planned to go up into Canada along the way, he called ahead (thankfully), they told him the providence he planned to go to was a no go for the pistol he had. Other providences allow it but there are jumps(paperwork and time) to go through.

Sorry for your loss!

Called them and it seems that the 1911 is allowed because its barrel length is over 4.14 inches while the SP2022 is not because it below the 4.14 inches.

Also they said I need to get paperwork done which could take 2-5 weeks to process.

I'll just leave my pistols with my buddy.

Off to Canada in the morning.

painkiller
04-01-2011, 7:20 PM
Wow and we thought Kali was bad?.....haha ya it still is