PDA

View Full Version : Is this shotgun legal in CA?

Apocalypsenerd
03-31-2011, 9:00 PM
http://www.gunblog.com/uts-15-shotgun/

Also, this double mag thing begs the question. Having more than 10 rounds is illegal in CA. Can you have a weapon that feeds from more than one mag?

CSACANNONEER
03-31-2011, 9:16 PM
http://www.gunblog.com/uts-15-shotgun/

Also, this double mag thing begs the question. Having more than 10 rounds is illegal in CA. Can you have a weapon that feeds from more than one mag?

No its not! I'm assuming you mean having a mag with more than 10 rounds. But, even that is wrong. Owning +10 round mags is 100% legal in CA!

To answer your question, there is no reason that the gun in question isn't legal in CA.

cdtx2001
03-31-2011, 9:19 PM
I hope it's legal cause now I want one.

TRICKSTER
03-31-2011, 9:22 PM
No its not! I'm assuming you mean having a mag with more than 10 rounds. But, even that is wrong. Owning +10 round mags is 100% legal in CA!

To answer your question, there is no reason that the gun in question isn't legal in CA.

Not quite right. There are some concerns and CGF is looking at it. To save some time just read the last two pages of this thread http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=399723&page=8

Patriot Man
03-31-2011, 9:23 PM
I know Turners is/or will be selling a similar type shotgun. Can't remember what manufacturer

stix213
03-31-2011, 9:25 PM
I don't think it is legal to import due to the mag capacity. The KSG forces you to switch between two 7 round mags, while this shotgun autoswitches between the tubes with no user intervention. I would expect that could be construed as a single ammunition feeding device of 14 round capacity.

TRICKSTER
03-31-2011, 9:31 PM
Here is the problem with both the KSG and the UTS. The fact that the UTS switches automatically makes it even more likely to be in violation.

CA Penal Code
12020 (a)(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes
to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or
offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-
capacity magazine.

12020 (c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity
magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity
to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to
include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so
that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action
firearm.

12voltguy
03-31-2011, 9:46 PM
I don't think it is legal to import due to the mag capacity. The KSG forces you to switch between two 7 round mags, while this shotgun autoswitches between the tubes with no user intervention. I would expect that could be construed as a single ammunition feeding device of 14 round capacity.

they are going to build them in the USA..

Fish
03-31-2011, 10:07 PM

That might matter for the Federal "sporting purpose" import restriction, but not for California restrictions...

12voltguy
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
That might matter for the Federal "sporting purpose" import restriction, but not for California restrictions...

we could outlaw goldfish, what is your point?:D
the auto tube switch could be removed for ca sales, ever here of these things called bullet buttons?..lol
we seem to adapt;)

stix213
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM

was referring to importation into CA, not USA, meaning PC 12020.

tonelar
03-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Now another shotgun to add to the "buy" list.

http://www.gunblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/phoca_thumb_l_3-tfb.jpg

So ugly it's pretty...

4.5" followers would render either this or the Kel Tec to 5 + 5 capacity... if by some nonsense these aren't allowed.

Just sayin'

Vladimir
03-31-2011, 11:54 PM
now... THAT! is a zombie gun.

Werewolf1021
04-01-2011, 1:48 AM
MAHUEaTN7ys

Enjoy!:cool:

moosegun
04-01-2011, 1:55 AM
IMO It should be legal. the 10 round limit is on magazine not tube fed devises.

TRICKSTER
04-01-2011, 2:33 AM
IMO It should be legal. the 10 round limit is on magazine not tube fed devises.

You may want to read the Penal Code section that I posted about 7 post above yours, you will see that your opinion is wrong. To be exempt from the law, the firearm must be a 22cal or lever action long gun.

Ubermcoupe
04-01-2011, 7:50 AM
Article claims ATF has already banned the importation of certain shotguns... I was unaware that the ATF had reached a decision... Am I the only one that caught that or am I wrong?

Wherryj
04-01-2011, 7:52 AM

There are some who might question the fact that the selector switch can be set to an automatic alternation mode. This could be legally construed as manufacturing those two 7 rounds magazines into a 14 round magazine by allowing an auto switch. This was the very reason that Kel Tec opted to make their selector manual only.

meaty-btz
04-01-2011, 8:16 AM
OMG, I really want that.

It actually looks more substantial than the Kel-Tek shotgun of similar design. Being more robust is a positive to me. That is a very nice gun.

Also note that the tubes are mounted above the barrel. Fascinating.

Too bad it is not semi-auto.

Captain Neon
04-01-2011, 5:16 PM
I'd like to know more about the UTS 15, like how the shell cases eject. I think they would eject out the underside behind the trigger, be neat to have more pictures.

Loading the shotgun seems simple enough: the twin magazines have individual loading doors. I do wonder what happens if something gets snagged on the loading hatch, though. In a self defense situation funny things happen to your perception of events and getting your pajamas caught on them while reloading is a possibility.

I'm convinced somebody is going to leap on the magazine alternate feed feature as some sort of Bad Thing that needs to be outlawed pronto. It's clearly worse the the shoulder thing that goes up!