View Full Version : What critters have you hunted in the state?

11-04-2006, 11:47 AM
What critters have you hunted in this state, was it public blm or did you pay to go on a "guided" hunt? What choice weapon/shot did you use? What are the critter's seasons? Thought I'd try to liven up this area of the forum.

Dont Tread on Me
11-04-2006, 1:10 PM
I'm really lucky as my wife's family has a farm in the central valley. They find it a real pain to go control the rabbit/ground squirrel population so there is always plenty of "work" for me when I visit each month.

To your other questions, I think both are open all year around. I use a 10/22 or a shotgun with buckshot. Neither have great range so it requires a lot of stalking which is fun to me. Max range for me and the 10/22 is ~50 yards to guarantee a good clean hit.

For dove season we just setup chairs on the deck outside the farm house. A different world to my Silicon Valley home....

11-04-2006, 1:37 PM
Years back I mostly used to hunt pigs around the coast with a .30-06. I'm now starting to think about going on a pig hunt using foster type slugs.

These days though I'm mostly a bird man. I hunt ducks, geese, pheasants and coot at various Wildlife refuges using a Benelli SuperNova 12 guage. I also use the same shotgun to hunt squirrels, rabbit, doves, and other various small game. This spring I will going after Turkeys.

11-04-2006, 4:13 PM
lizards, noisy jay birds, squirrels and one possum:D

pigs in the near future.

11-04-2006, 5:37 PM
I've killed Tule elk, Mule deer, Blacktail deer,Bear, pigs, coyotes,Bobcat, grey fox.Most of the small game and birds that are legal to hunt. Most of the animals I have killed on both private and public lands. Except the tule elk I've only killed one and that was on private.

Toughest animal is a trophy blacktail. Funnest - Quail, spring Turkeys, Coyotes with an ACOG topped AR , grey squirrels,bobcat with hounds.

11-05-2006, 8:28 AM
Grew up hunting 99.9999999% of the time on Private land for everything from Mule & blacktail to rabbit, coyote, duck, pheasent, turkey, dove, and squirrel.

After I hit about 20 though it all suddenly became Public land (BLM and FS) The game hasn't changed tooooooo much but a lot less Duck and pheasent:o

As for weapons...its truly varies with the game; the .22 for squirrel though we used to use a 20 gauge with 8 shot and modified choke. For all the other birds its been and still is 12 gauge; use mostly a 870 express (takes a serious beating and still has survived and comes back for more).
Coyote has been with .223, 7.62x39, .308 and 54R:D For deer its been 30-30, .308 (both for Mule) and primarily 7.62x39 for Blacktail in the last 7 or 8 years.

Now that I've spouted off long enough. Get off yer' duff and go get something:p