PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Rimfire Mag Rebuild Kits

dfletcher
03-31-2011, 4:07 PM
I have recently gotten (and satisfied) the rimfire AR bug and went with a "for real" 22 lr upper on a dedicated lower - no BB of course, drop magazines to my heart's content because the only thing attached to this lower is and shall be a 22 lr upper. My question is about +10 capacity rebuild kits for the AR and how they are legally imported into CA. Specifically, to what degree they must be broken down.

The Black Dog and CMMG rimfire magazines I've seen consist of a floorplate, spring and follower; the body is two halves held together by 4, 5 or 6 screw & nut arrangements. For legal importation to CA or if offered for sale in CA (making of a 10/20 mag) should the floorplate, spring, follower and all screws be removed and magazine broken down to its 2 halves; or is removal of the floorplate, spring and follower alone sufficient?

Must a rimfire magazine be broken down into all its components, or merely disassembled to the point it can not function as a magazine?

My reason for asking is for a general discussion of "best practices" I suppose.

quick draw mcgraw
03-31-2011, 4:18 PM
I ordered a bunch of the Black Dog 26rd rebuilds from Copes Dist. and they came with the floorplate, spring, and follower removed, but the body intact. This is exactly the way that any Pmag or USGI mag rebuilds I have ordered have come (since they are one piece bodies of course ;)) and it is perfectly legal.

dfletcher
03-31-2011, 4:28 PM
I ordered a bunch of the Black Dog 26rd rebuilds from Copes Dist. and they came with the floorplate, spring, and follower removed, but the body intact. This is exactly the way that any Pmag or USGI mag rebuilds I have ordered have come (since they are one piece bodies of course ;)) and it is perfectly legal.

Do you see any difference between the PMags being a single piece body that can not be taken apart and the BDs being two halves held together with screws?

chesterthehero
03-31-2011, 5:00 PM
Do you see any difference between the PMags being a single piece body that can not be taken apart and the BDs being two halves held together with screws?

legaly IMO.. same thing.. if all you remove is the follower the mag will not feed ammo no matter how hard you try.. splitting the two halvs is just going to leave you looking for a missing screw..

quick draw mcgraw
03-31-2011, 9:58 PM
legaly IMO.. same thing.. if all you remove is the follower the mag will not feed ammo no matter how hard you try.. splitting the two halvs is just going to leave you looking for a missing screw..

Exactly.