PDA

View Full Version : TX legsilature considers checkpoint to prevent guns to Mexico

Stonewalker
03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Anybody catch word of this?

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/03/31/3516891/to-keep-guns-out-of-mexico-texas.html

Doesn't seem good, from a government-can't-shake-down-it's-citizens-without-Probable-Cause point of view.

PsychGuy274
03-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Doesn't seem good, from a government-can't-shake-down-it's-citizens-without-Probable-Cause point of view.

Makes sense if they're gonna be shaking down ATF agents. They smuggle more guns into Mexico and than anyone else.

jl123
03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Check this thread in OT out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=415421

Stonewalker
03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Check this thread in OT out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=415421

Very cool. Silly and hyperbolic obviously, but they are on point with the principle.

ElvenSoul
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Texas allready has checkpoints all over the border

jl123
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Very cool. Silly and hyperbolic obviously, but they are on point with the principle.

Unfortunately, the funnier you are, the more likely it is people will watch. It was over the top, but their message was good.

bigcalidave
03-31-2011, 1:45 PM
Aren't there already border checkpoints??

Stonewalker
03-31-2011, 2:19 PM
The legislation would implement checkpoints "near the border", whatever that means. The Federalis manage border checkpoints, this would be Texas state internal suspicionless checkpoints, and it sounds like they would be searching all vehicles for drugs or guns. Again, "near the border".

I'm pretty sure the 4th amendment means anything this side of an int'l border is a no-shake-down zone.

Overbear
03-31-2011, 2:46 PM
Simple solution, have each car checked for lisence, registration, and insurance. The ones that can't show that, or have Mexican lisences, you pull to the side and strip the car from head to toe in a search.

Stonewalker
03-31-2011, 3:21 PM
Simple solution, have each car checked for lisence, registration, and insurance. The ones that can't show that, or have Mexican lisences, you pull to the side and strip the car from head to toe in a search.

Interesting that you have a quote from Thomas Jefferson in your sig and yet advocate unconstitutional checkpoints/searches...

Shiboleth
03-31-2011, 4:42 PM
Several law enforcement officials said it has merit but needs tfo be studied and implemented properly to avoid court challenges

Hm...
No apparent concern for whether this violates civil rights or not, just whether it will stand in court when challenged. Classy.

Purple K
03-31-2011, 5:03 PM
It's not the Right, nor the Responsibility of the State of Texas to keep guns or anything else out of Mexico! If the Mexican Government REALLY wanted to keep guns out of Mexico, they would do vehicle inspections of vehicles entering Mexico.

Southwest Chuck
03-31-2011, 5:23 PM
It's not the Right, nor the Responsibility of the State of Texas to keep guns or anything else out of Mexico! If the Mexican Government REALLY wanted to keep guns out of Mexico, they would do vehicle inspections of vehicles entering Mexico.

^^This!

KylaGWolf
03-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Eh bit of a moot point since our own lovely ATF seems to be giving them to the drug lords in Mexico to begin with. And funny thing is no one seems to know about it :rolleyes:

vantec08
04-01-2011, 4:00 AM

Indeed. Mexico's only interested in guns, drugs, illegal immigration and poverty insofar as they can blame and put the gleep on the USA for "help" and "resources." The mexican citizens havent had enough and, it seems, many here havent either.

Wherryj
04-01-2011, 7:49 AM

The precedent is already set by the other illegal search without cause scams like sobriety checkpoints, seat belt checkpoints, etc.

The Shadow
04-01-2011, 8:18 AM
Actually, I think this is a good idea. We have U.S. Customs that, in my opinion is far more restrictive about prohibited items like booze, plants, animals, etc. So now Texas is getting proactive in preventing gun smuggling, because the ATF gives guns to the cartels and the federalis take mordida to allow guns to go through. Since Texas has a vested interest in preventing guns from going to criminals, because the honest citizens of Mexico aren't buying them, and it helps prevent violence from crossing the Rio Grande into El Paso, Brownsville, and other border communities, it seems like the best option. Now, if Texas was doing checkpoints 80+ miles from the border, like the Border Patrol does along Hwy 86, Hwy 111, I-15 in Temecula, and I-5 near Oceanside, then I could see a complaint. But as I understand it, these checkpoints are to be placed at entrances going into Mexico. I see no problem with that.

loose_electron
04-01-2011, 8:32 AM
Aren't there already border checkpoints??

Down here in San Diego, you can generally walk south across the border thru a turnstile without getting inspected.

Driving south (with lord only knows what hidden in the car) is generally just as simple. Usually you just get waved thru.

Andy Taylor
04-01-2011, 2:29 PM

This. I am always amazed that people think that the US should give a darn about what leaves our country and goes to Mexico. That is Mexico's problem. When Mexico does something to stop the illegal drugs, and immigrants from coming into the US, maybe then we should care.

nicki
04-01-2011, 2:51 PM
This. I am always amazed that people think that the US should give a darn about what leaves our country and goes to Mexico. That is Mexico's problem. When Mexico does something to stop the illegal drugs, and immigrants from coming into the US, maybe then we should care.

Since Mexico has no intention of fixing the illegal immigration problem, we have to fix things ourselves.

Personally, I would LEGALIZE and regulate drugs. The quickest way to put a black market out of business is to seperate the suppliers from the end users.

As far as the illegal immigration issue.

Yeah, we need a workable guest worker program and that is something we could do with countries on a treaty basis. No treaty, no worker program and the terms of the treaty are OUR terms. If they don't like them, their citizens don't have to come to our country.

Once we have a "Guest Worker Program", we seal the border. Screw the national guard, I think citizen volunteers and let each state handle it.

In fact, the guest worker program can charge fees and those fees can support the border security.

Citizen based state militias would be cost effective and may give us a door to get "modern common militia arms (FA)".

Nicki

stillnotbob
04-01-2011, 3:38 PM
If Mexico wants to start checking people/cars BEFORE they cross into the US for anything illegal to be imported into the US, THEN (and only then) we should throw them a bone and check what's going south of the border.

Since this is never going to happen, then why do we care what goes into Mexico?? Guns are not illegal in this country.... only in Mexico. So if they do not want them in their country, then they should do the foot work and stop them crossing their border.

N6ATF
04-02-2011, 12:09 AM
The point should be to keep ATF from aiding and abetting our guns being smuggled out of the U.S. We can use them here.

Who cares if our outgoing border checkpoints benefit Mexico or not.

The Geologist
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Hm...
No apparent concern for whether this violates civil rights or not, just whether it will stand in court when challenged. Classy.

Doesn't TSA do the same thing?

CalNRA
04-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Sen. Eddie Lucio, D-Brownsville, who has filed a bill to create southbound checkpoints, as has Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa, D-McAllen

I see...

I bet these two are just as hard on "gun runner" going south as they are with border jumper going north. I am confident that is the case, just confident.