PDA

View Full Version : AB 811 (2011) Hall - lets security companies own & issue firearms to employees

creekside
03-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Bill Text: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0801-0850/ab_811_bill_20110315_amended_asm_v98.html

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_811&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

"This bill would establish procedures allowing Private Patrol Operators to own firearms and to assign those firearms to employees of the Private Patrol Operator who are licensed security officers guards."

What I don't get is the preamble of the proposed legislation:

27970. (a) (1) The Legislature finds and declares that current practices and statutes authorize the purchase, registration, and ownership of firearms by individuals, but not by business entities.

Not only do private security companies already own firearms in California, but Penal Code explicitly allows them to do so in PC 12072 (a) (9) (B) (4):

(a) (1) No person, corporation, or firm shall knowingly
supply, deliver, sell, or give possession or control of a firearm to
any person within any of the classes prohibited by Section 12021 or
(2) No person, corporation, or dealer shall sell, supply, deliver,
or give possession or control of a firearm to any person whom he or
she has cause to believe to be within any of the classes prohibited
by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of
the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(3) (A) No person, corporation, or firm shall sell, loan, or
transfer a firearm to a minor, nor sell a handgun to an individual
under 21 years of age.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to or affect those
circumstances set forth in subdivision (p) of Section 12078.

[...]

(9) (A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than
one handgun within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(i) Any law enforcement agency.
(ii) Any agency duly authorized to perform law enforcement duties.
(iii) Any state or local correctional facility.
(iv) Any private security company licensed to do business in
California.

?

Andy Taylor
03-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Interesting. I know that most Private Security companies do not issue weapons, but some do. Never really looked into the legalities of it. It appears as though they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Typical of the CA legislature.

stix213
03-31-2011, 1:01 PM
Interesting. I know that most Private Security companies do not issue weapons, but some do. Never really looked into the legalities of it. It appears as though they are trying to fix something that isn't broken. Typical of the CA legislature.

They need something to do so they look busy while ignoring the budget.... :p

MP301
03-31-2011, 1:26 PM
"This bill would establish procedures allowing Private Patrol Operators to own firearms and to assign those firearms to employees of the Private Patrol Operator who are licensed security guards officers."

Fixed it for you

Whats with the security animosity? Not all security personell are "Flashlight cops". Did some "Guard" piss in your conflakes or something? Nice....

And yes, this bill makes no sense since companies have owned and issued guns as long as i can remember. Now a bill id like to see are automatic CCW's for PPOs. :p

creekside
03-31-2011, 1:32 PM
Fixed it for you

Whats with the security animosity? Not all security personell are "Flashlight cops". Did some "Guard" piss in your conflakes or something? Nice....

And yes, this bill makes no sense since companies have owned and issued guns as long as i can remember. Now a bill id like to see are automatic CCW's for PPOs. :p

No animosity here. Note difference between original and amended versions. Original said "security officer" and amended bill said "guard."

Your profile says that you are a PPO. Under what legal authority do you hand guns out to your employees? I didn't think that all PPOs were also firearms dealers.

I also wouldn't mind a CCW privilege for security personnel. Believe me.

leitung
03-31-2011, 2:01 PM
Guard with a CCW here... I carry my own firearms at work, I prefer it as I get to choose what I am comfortable with, companies are cheap as hell, and they will issue them some POS rossi .38 or whatever.
I dont understand the point of this bill, I only know of one company (trinity for the federal contract) that issues firearms to guards.

gonzo1510
03-31-2011, 6:31 PM
There are plenty of companies that issue firearms. I know the armored car companies issue them on a regular basis. As long as you have the appropriate caliber on your gun card they'll isasue you one.

MP301
03-31-2011, 7:38 PM
No animosity here. Note difference between original and amended versions. Original said "security officer" and amended bill said "guard."

Your profile says that you are a PPO. Under what legal authority do you hand guns out to your employees? I didn't think that all PPOs were also firearms dealers.

I also wouldn't mind a CCW privilege for security personnel. Believe me.

No worries, i was just giving you crap abot the guard word...

Well, I dont issue guns myself. I have temp issued/loaned guns a few times for short period of time(employee gun in shop or whatever).

What authority? I dunno. Where does it say you cant? Anything not exressly illegal is legal by defualt, yes?

I understand a loaner can only be for 30 days without DROS, but you can issue for 30 days, check it back in and right back out for 30 days if you wanted to.

Like i said, i dont have the need to issue guns, so I never really paid attention to it. But I know some do...

Andy Taylor
04-01-2011, 7:21 AM
I have been an armed security officer (guard, whatever) since 1995. I have worked for several PPOs and one in house security employer in those years. Only one of them, a Federal contract, issued me a gun. It was set up so that at the start of each shift I checked the gun out from the armorer. At the end of the shift I checked it back into the armorer. Funny thing is, since I was the only one at the job site, I was also the armorer. Every day I would check the gun out to myself and turn it back into myself. Filled this sheet out every day. Had a huge 3 ring binder full of them. The gun never left my holster until I got home and put it in my safe.

Bobula
04-01-2011, 7:27 AM
I work as armed security. I've had companies issue me a gun. General rule is it never left property, waivers signed releasing them from liability for misuse, etc.
I've also had to borrow a gun from an employer/ppo holder. Nothing on my permit or anything in BSIS regs says I can only carry my gun, just what calibers I'm certified with.