PDA

View Full Version : Another Driver's License - Gun Buying Question

Write Winger
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
My birthday is on April 16th. I'm planning on buying a gun on April 3rd, but won't be able to pick it up any sooner than my birthday. My Driver's license expires ON April 16th, and I probably won't get the new one for 4 more weeks. Will there be an issue when I go in to pick it up, or since the gun was bought on the 3rd it'll be ok?

dantodd
03-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I am fairly sure that your DL is good THROUGH your birthday so picking up ON your birthday should be no problem.

chaseface
03-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Getting your new one in 4 weeks is not gunna happen. Right now there is a 90 day wait on recieving ID's because of the budget cuts. I have been waiting almost 3 months for the replacement of the one I lost and havnt been able to buy a gun since. It is REALLY starting to piss me off

robnbritt
03-31-2011, 1:22 PM
There is a "delay" in getting your new DL. My wifes was renewed on 3/5 and it just arrived today. Although she recieved a letter 2 days ago saying it could take up to 90 days.

chaseface
03-31-2011, 1:50 PM
wow your wife is lucky. I applied for a new one in january and havnt gotten it yet

Steve_338LM
03-31-2011, 2:02 PM
Getting your new one in 4 weeks is not gunna happen. Right now there is a 90 day wait on recieving ID's because of the budget cuts. I have been waiting almost 3 months for the replacement of the one I lost and havnt been able to buy a gun since. It is REALLY starting to piss me off

Budget cuts have nothing to do with the delay, although I would not be surprised if state workers are making such a claim. The problem is the company that makes the new licenses was having significant production problems and is trying to catch up.

PsychGuy274
03-31-2011, 2:05 PM
Call the FFL to double check

couch
03-31-2011, 2:07 PM
I renewed my Disneyland Annual Pass a few weeks ago. I paid the payment and they printed me my card right then and there. Walked to the gate, they scanned it, my photo popped up and I went in. How the DMV hasn't fixed this issue is beyond me.

bigcalidave
03-31-2011, 2:24 PM
The DMV is running 30+ year old software and systems, they have no capability to be efficient. They were budgeted a lot of money to improve their systems a decade ago, but the process took so long that by the time they actually wanted to do it, they were far over that budget. There is no money for them, so they just trot along at their desks. Almost everything that the DMV does could be handled online, if a private company were in charge things would be much better...

Forgot to add, the above is from a few conversations with a friend who works at a relatively high level at DMV, but it takes nothing more than a glance at the computers they use and the printers that spit out your registration. I don't even know how they keep those running, there must be a warehouse full of old spare parts.

stix213
03-31-2011, 3:26 PM
Might want to hurry up and start DROS now if possible.

limitdown
04-02-2011, 1:12 AM
I renewed online and it still took 60 days to receive my license.
This lead-time is not much better than when I got licensed at age 16 in 1993.
The problem is not the computers, it's the people!

CalNRA
04-02-2011, 1:15 AM
Isn't the DMV a state agency employing unionized workers with every incentive to improve their performance?

xmustanguyx
04-02-2011, 1:19 AM
I always get an ID. Being a bail agent I can't be left without proper ID at any given moment. My ID expires in 2014 I believe and I just got my passport a few years back. Safe (not cheap!) insurance.

User63
04-02-2011, 8:10 AM
I renewed mine in the beginning of February and have not received it yet. I have also been reading about the "right to travel" without a license. From what I have been reading more court cases are being won. Just havent figured it all out yet. But it is interesting to read.

EOD Guy
04-03-2011, 8:16 AM
I renewed my Disneyland Annual Pass a few weeks ago. I paid the payment and they printed me my card right then and there. Walked to the gate, they scanned it, my photo popped up and I went in. How the DMV hasn't fixed this issue is beyond me.

Arizona DMV has. They will issue your permanent drivers license on the spot at the DMV branch office. The same is true for vehicle registration and titles.

Of course, they don't issue nearly the number of licenses that California does. Not only because of the population difference but because they issue a drivers license that doesn't expire until your 65th birthday or for 5 years if you're over 65.

voiceofreason
04-03-2011, 8:29 AM
you should have received something to renew you license already

look online to renew with a CC

they'll send you an interim license that in conjunction with your expired one will be official

Cokebottle
04-03-2011, 9:35 AM
you should have received something to renew you license already

look online to renew with a CC
Ditto. Have to have been living under a rock to not have been aware of the delays with the new licenses. People started multiple threads on it back in September and people were considering lawsuits.

Knowing that mine expired in Feb, I renewed online the last week of November. My new license arrived (new type) the first week of January.

Oh... I got my renewal notice 2 weeks after I renewed.
they'll send you an interim license that in conjunction with your expired one will be official
Which is not valid for firearms purchases.

galekowitz
04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Renewed February 18, arrived March 30.

voiceofreason
04-03-2011, 12:38 PM
So I stop being me once my DL expires?

Ha! Gov bureaucracy!

Cokebottle
04-03-2011, 1:06 PM
So I stop being me once my DL expires?

Ha! Gov bureaucracy!
That's what I don't get. The residence and identification are no more or less "valid" than they were 24 hours ago, and it doesn't cease to be a "Government issued ID", but the DROS software won't accept an expired date. The FFL could take it upon himself to accept it and use the extension date, but he has to make a copy of the license and he would get popped on a DOJ/BATFE audit.

brushfire21
04-03-2011, 2:24 PM
Funny part is that almost every firearm I have purchased, when I have gone back to pick it up no ID was requested. I just handed my receipt to the guy/gal behind the counter, they have me sign a few things after I check S/N's and off I go. Not sure if it was because they recognized/remember me or didn't care. Kinda scary as anyone with the receipt could have picked it up. I even asked on my last purchase a few weeks ago and they just kind of sluffed it off.

But having a 2nd ID is very helpful whether it be a Passport Card, State ID card or other government ID card. I have a passport card/booklet and Fed ID card and still thinking of getting a State ID card to add to the collection when I buy some property out of state.

Sent my renewal in between xmas and new years and rec'd my new DL card last day of February. Figured I was a lucky one!

Cokebottle
04-03-2011, 2:37 PM
+1 on getting a CA state ID.

Just don't get it the same year that your DL is renewed... stagger them by a year or two so one is always valid.

Passport is not valid as primary proof of residency for a gun purchase. It must be a DL, ID, or military ID coupled with permanent duty station orders...
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#7
As part of the DROS process, the buyer must present "clear evidence of identity and age" which is defined as a valid, non-expired California Driver's License or Identification Card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A military identification accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California is also acceptable.

If the buyer is not a U.S. Citizen, then he or she is required to demonstrate that he or she is legally within the United States by providing to the firearms dealer with documentation that contains his/her Alien Registration Number or I-94 Number.

Purchasers of handguns are also required to provide proof of California residency, such as a utility bill, residential lease, property deed, or government-issued identification (other than a drivers license or other DMV-issued identification).
(PC Section 12071)PC 12071(c)(1)As used in this article, "clear evidence of his or her identity and age" means either of the following:
(A) A valid California driver's license.
(B) A valid California identification card issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Write Winger
04-03-2011, 7:55 PM
Update: Just bought a Kel Tec PLR 16 at Valkyrie Arms today and everything went smoothly. Can't wait to pick it up :D