PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Los Angeles

joostin4
03-31-2011, 9:56 AM
Hello,

I'm a noob from Los Angeles that's just started getting into firearms. I went to the shooting range for the first time a few weeks ago and I've gone five times since by myself. I am officially addicted!! Looking to purchase my very first handgun soon and am scheduled to take the handgun safety test today at a local dealer. Wish me luck!!

Prenub
03-31-2011, 10:30 AM
Welcome!

dunc289
03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
dude!

welcome to the asylum.

I'm on the westside, if you ever feel the need to go surfing AND shooting.

Sort of newbie too.
Just have the one handgun in .45, and am getting excited about my new .22 conversion for it, because I'll be able to shoot 5 times as often now.

Do you use the LA gun club range on 6th and Alameda?

dunc

.22guy
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

BayAreaShooter
03-31-2011, 2:39 PM
Welcome aboard. Glad to have another person join the shooting community.

joostin4
03-31-2011, 3:34 PM
Do you use the LA gun club range on 6th and Alameda?

dunc

No, well I live sort of between LA and Orange Counties. It's a small unincorporated area called Hacienda Heights. Not many people have heard of it. It's right next to Industry and Walnut. The only range I've been to is the one in Brea called OC Indoor Shooting Range. I do plan on going to the LA Gun Club soon though.

l_Z_l
03-31-2011, 3:45 PM
How's OC range? I heard it's pretty nice. I've only been to the la puente range off of valley between azusa and hacienda heights. It isn't the nicest place. Last I checked they wouldn't let me bring in the ar22. *sigh* They're ok w/ the mp clone but not the AR. Hopefully w/ all the turner's ad they'll be ok w/ it now. Took a few co-workers a few times last yr. A lil pricey for my taste.

desertmedic
03-31-2011, 3:51 PM
Hacienda Hts?! I grew up in the heights. At the top of Punta del Este. Welcome...

den888
03-31-2011, 3:55 PM
Welcome!

bsg
03-31-2011, 4:59 PM
welcome to the forum.

zod
04-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Welcome aboard.

BlackJack
04-01-2011, 12:37 AM
No, well I live sort of between LA and Orange Counties. It's a small unincorporated area called Hacienda Heights. Not many people have heard of it. It's right next to Industry and Walnut. The only range I've been to is the one in Brea called OC Indoor Shooting Range. I do plan on going to the LA Gun Club soon though.

Hey welcome to Calguns. If you're in Hacienda Heights I recommend you check out the Shooting Sports Fair in Corona coming in June at
Mike Raahauge Shooting Enterprises, 14995 River Rd., Corona, CA 92880
http://www.raahauges.com/index.php

You can pay a small fee to shoot different types of pistols and rifles to get an idea of your firearm preferences.

DeanW66
04-01-2011, 5:47 AM
Welcome aboard!

joostin4
04-01-2011, 4:16 PM
How's OC range? I heard it's pretty nice. I've only been to the la puente range off of valley between azusa and hacienda heights. It isn't the nicest place. Last I checked they wouldn't let me bring in the ar22. *sigh* They're ok w/ the mp clone but not the AR. Hopefully w/ all the turner's ad they'll be ok w/ it now. Took a few co-workers a few times last yr. A lil pricey for my taste.

OC indoor is pretty nice. I just chose that one over the la puente range because i saw on yelp that it got good reviews. From what I hear it has a pretty good selection and prices compared to other ranges. When I went it was around 50 bucks for a rental gun and 100 rounds of ammo, lane, eyes and ears, targets, etc.

Hacienda Hts?! I grew up in the heights. At the top of Punta del Este. Welcome...

Awesome, I literally live walking distance from there down Ember Glen! Did you go to Wilson High? I'm class of '01

Hey welcome to Calguns. If you're in Hacienda Heights I recommend you check out the Shooting Sports Fair in Corona coming in June at
Mike Raahauge Shooting Enterprises, 14995 River Rd., Corona, CA 92880
http://www.raahauges.com/index.php

Thanks for the info. I've actually been looking for a show to go to. I've been looking for a Jericho 941 but I heard its not on the DOJ list so I've gotta find a private party to get it. Figured a gun show was my best bet.

desertmedic
04-01-2011, 4:30 PM
"Awesome, I literally live walking distance from there down Ember Glen! Did you go to Wilson High? I'm class of '01"

Yup, went there. Graduated in '87 though. Went to Grazide and Mesa Robles too!

SoCal Bob
04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Welcome to Calguns. So, did you get your HSC?

Don't overlook adding a good .22 rifle or handgun to your collection when you start buying. They are less expensive to buy, 500+ rounds of .22lr is about $20 at Walmart and they are less intimidating to new shooters when you introduce someone new to the hobby. And all the skills you develop with the .22 translates to the higher calibers.

joostin4
04-04-2011, 1:11 AM
Welcome to Calguns. So, did you get your HSC?

Don't overlook adding a good .22 rifle or handgun to your collection when you start buying. They are less expensive to buy, 500+ rounds of .22lr is about $20 at Walmart and they are less intimidating to new shooters when you introduce someone new to the hobby. And all the skills you develop with the .22 translates to the higher calibers.

I just got my HSC a couple days ago. I've just started researching on finding a good .22 handgun also, any you could recommend?

mikaarce
04-04-2011, 6:45 AM
Rugers are always a nice gun to start with. Welcome.