PDA

View Full Version : Shame on Volquartsen

ggruber
03-31-2011, 6:25 AM
I have no hesitation in posting this thread. i have been patient for nearly 2 months now, and after nearly a dozen emails -- most of which have gone unanswered, i am compelled to be as public as i can about this.

i have dealt with VQ for around 8 years now and this is the first time i can say that their customer support has been other than stellar.

i purchased a bolt assist from them late January of this year, and it fractured on both sides after about 200 rounds at the range.

i informed them of it and they assured me it was indeed a design flaw and they would replace the defective item.

to this date i have received 2 or 3 replies that indicated that a new one would be 'shipped soon', but i have received nothing.

most of my emails have gone unanswered.

i will continue to buy VQ products. I am a gunsmith and build out quite a few Ruger 22/45's with their fine aftermarket parts.

however, i will warn my customers that there are indeed deep spaces in the quality of customer support at the company, and they should be prepared for a long battle if something goes wrong.

i will be posting copies of this on several high profile forums throughout the day.

it really isn't the money at this point, it is the lack of respect in dealing with a simple defective part that should never have gotten this far.

Bobula
03-31-2011, 6:42 AM
holy lurker batman!

Blitzburgh
03-31-2011, 7:47 AM
i have dealt with VQ for around 8 years now and this is the first time i can say that their customer support has been other than stellar.

You have dealt with them for 8 years and not had a problem? And now a problem with a part and you post this?

Wow... this is a tough joint sometimes.

lgm118icbm
03-31-2011, 8:01 AM
I can see his frustration. I think I would be upset too. Parts break sometimes, no biggie. I think their reputation of excellence stands for itself. But poor customer service like this with months of unanswered emails, plain and simple shouldn't happen.

Hopefully they get the issue resolved with you and within their company.

cmichini
03-31-2011, 8:08 AM
I have no hesitation in posting this thread. i have been patient for nearly 2 months now, and after nearly a dozen emails -- most of which have gone unanswered, i am compelled to be as public as i can about this.

i purchased a bolt assist from them late January of this year, and it fractured on both sides after about 200 rounds at the range.

i informed them of it and they assured me it was indeed a design flaw and they would replace the defective item.

to this date i have received 2 or 3 replies that indicated that a new one would be 'shipped soon', but i have received nothing.

i will continue to buy VQ products. I am a gunsmith and build out quite a few Ruger 22/45's with their fine aftermarket parts.

however, i will warn my customers that there are indeed deep spaces in the quality of customer support at the company, and they should be prepared for a long battle if something goes wrong.

i will be posting copies of this on several high profile forums throughout the day.

it really isn't the money at this point, it is the lack of respect in dealing with a simple defective part that should never have gotten this far.

I suggest you send them another email with a link to this thread.

Nothing like a slap in the face that their reputation that has taken years to build can get biotch-slapped to the ground right quick if they drop the ball.

Who knows, maybe it'll get whatever jackwad isn't doing their job to, um, er, do it.

dfletcher
03-31-2011, 8:52 AM

A few months - shoot, ain't nothin' ....... :mad:

I bought a Volquartsen Evolution that broke apart a few times to include the bolt, 3 extractors and the BCG. The company acknowledged the problem was theirs. I posted the interaction here. Gun went back & forth a few time before they finally sent me a new rifle - which was great, I applaud them for doing so. And the shipping cost was paid for by them - again, great. But this took nearly two years and most of the time waiting was done AFTER they said "it's taken care of" and will be shipped. Weeks go buy, nothing happens and another call. Same response. At one point they said it was supposed to have been shipped, but they couldn't find the gun. And anyone who would have known was at the SHOT show :cool:

At one point I was waiting for a stock and was told definitely the "rifle will ship next week" - this routine went on from Dec 09 through April 10.

I have 22 e-mail contacts between me and Scott Volquartsen. I also spoke with him a few times. If you call they'll put you through to him though honestly I don't know if it moves things along. I think they all have good intentions, they're nice people for sure - it's just that their ability to deliver on a timetable is terrible.

If someone had told me in advance what I was in for I would have either sold the gun or simply sent it in and said "send me a notice after it ships". Probably the former.

It was the most aggravating experience I've ever had with a gun company and I've been doing this since about 1972. I do not have the time or words to express my dissatisfaction with them - made me think of that line from Platoon when Sheen said "hell is the suspension of all logic"

To end on a "good news" note, since being replaced the gun has functioned perfectly and I will keep it so long as it works, which at this point I think and hope will be forever. Hopefully that will be the result of your efforts.

shy 7th
03-31-2011, 8:59 AM
I have no hesitation in posting this thread. i have been patient for nearly 2 months now, and after nearly a dozen emails -- most of which have gone unanswered...

Maybe you could try a different method of communication other than email. Like, perhaps the domain of your email address or something about your email itself is causing the VQ server to route your emails to the spam folder?

The corporation I work for gets thousands of emails a day from customers and vendors and we have a pretty robust customer service department. Occasionally we get phone calls about unanswered emails. They usually go like this:

Customer: "I've been writing to you every day for two weeks and you haven't sent my books."

CS Rep: "That's odd can you tell me your email address so I can look up the status of your claim?"

Customer: "Yah... it's Joe.HoSlapper @SkankyHookersNBlow.org"

CS Rep: :rolleyes: "Oh here it is, I found it. The exchange server put it in the 'junk' folder... Don't know how it would have ended up there."

Fadedline
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Putting a company on blast for one mistake? Internets these days....:rolleyes:

03fatboy
03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Blasting VQ? They have been great to deal with some issues I had on oversized Sears for my MKII's and it was only two-three months ago. Don't remember the two individuals I was talking to though. I wouldn't email, suggest you call and get the name of who is handling the issue.

Good Luck!!!

dfletcher
03-31-2011, 12:58 PM

Those who have not dealt with Volquartsen on such a matter may want to consider that those who have dealt with them may have a bit more insight. It's not just the OP and it's not just my experience. Others have posted similar experiences.

And it's not for "just one mistake" - the mistake was the broken part, no big deal. The criticism is their continued inability (note I said inability, not unwillingness) to address the issue. We often see words to the effect "any company can make a mistake, it's how they handle them that counts" and we see in these instances how Volquartsen handles mistakes.

I like their products, they seem like good people - but I think they have some issues to address.

Kryptyde
03-31-2011, 2:38 PM
I have seen some other complaints regarding VQ customer support and products on RFC.

One of the many reasons I went with a full Kidd build.

ggruber
03-31-2011, 10:47 PM

bite me...

Onlyincali
04-01-2011, 8:11 AM
bite me...

Hahahaha! Well said.

Whats with gun people being so used to crappy customer service that they critisize an unhappy customer who speaks out about a crappy situation/experience? I really don't get it. The OP explained everything that happened without name calling....just stating the facts about crappy customer service. Seriously, you guys should THANK him for taking the time to write this....maybe save another person a headache.

Fadedline
04-01-2011, 11:32 AM
bite me...

Nice... mature.

ggruber
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice... mature.

hate to repeat myself, but bite me.

ego 08
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I had one that broke, they sent me a new one and that broke, so i had my machinist budy trim the ear part off then we drilled through the center and drilled and tapped the bolt, i bolted it right to the bolt, much better. i have a VQ fusion 22lr, had a trigger issue at first but they took care of me. I like the bolt assit idea but i think the ear parts are to thin but they had to keep the weight down too.

10rounds
04-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I have seen some other complaints regarding VQ customer support and products on RFC.

One of the many reasons I went with a full Kidd build.

Good to know!

johnthomas
04-01-2011, 1:05 PM
hate to repeat myself, but bite me.

Man I like you!!!!! lol
You are a gun smith, your business and reputation depends on others that have the potential to make or break you. Stick to your guns. I have been there with a side business I had years ago. After a few times of eating fees for work I performed, I cut ties with the shop I had done business with. In those days we didn't have this medium to communicate with or compare notes with others.
Some folks have one or two good purchases and consider them a friend. Their business contacts, when their quality of work and customer service breaks down, you gotta call a duck a duck.

Packy14
04-02-2011, 12:30 AM
i've had good experience with everything i've bought from them, had one small problem and they took care of it no question asked.

ggruber
04-02-2011, 5:41 AM
I had one that broke, they sent me a new one and that broke, so i had my machinist budy trim the ear part off then we drilled through the center and drilled and tapped the bolt, i bolted it right to the bolt, much better. i have a VQ fusion 22lr, had a trigger issue at first but they took care of me. I like the bolt assit idea but i think the ear parts are to thin but they had to keep the weight down too.

how did you drill and tap the bolt? it appears to be more than just case hardened to me.

i built my own bolt assist that is working fine, but i am still out nearly $40 from VQ and their POS.

ggruber
04-02-2011, 5:43 AM
i've had good experience with everything i've bought from them, had one small problem and they took care of it no question asked.

that falls into the 'so what' category as far as i am concerned. the fact that they have promised to replace the product and have not qualifies this as very flaky to say the least.

i will have the opportunity to get very vocal about this next month, since I believe they are one of the sponsors of the Ruger Rimfire Regionals at Lake Piru. i will be shooting at that match.

if they are there, they will get an earful from me.

ggruber
04-02-2011, 5:46 AM
Man I like you!!!!! lol
You are a gun smith, your business and reputation depends on others that have the potential to make or break you. Stick to your guns. I have been there with a side business I had years ago. After a few times of eating fees for work I performed, I cut ties with the shop I had done business with. In those days we didn't have this medium to communicate with or compare notes with others.
Some folks have one or two good purchases and consider them a friend. Their business contacts, when their quality of work and customer service breaks down, you gotta call a duck a duck.

i do 'selective' gunsmithing for a private club of nearly 500 members. if i do anything less than 100% quality work, i would not be able to show my face there.

you live or die by the quality of your service. i make no excuses nor do i accept them from anything else.