PDA

View Full Version : mount baldy ??'s can i open carry whilst camping/hiking there?

socal-shooter
03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
i may be going camping/hiking at mount baldy next month and i had a few

questions.

- am i allowed to open carry loaded or unloaded?

- are there lots of bears? so will i have to hang my food from a tree?

im sure i'll have more questions, so any input or advice from anyone who has hiked or camped there will be much appreciated.

thanks calgunners!!

p.s i did try the stupid search function and that thing has never worked for me

Mr. Wannabe High Profile Banger
03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Ive unloaded open carried right by the lodge and ski lift area on Mt Baldy no problem.

Alaric
03-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Angeles National Forest right? There's been lots of discussion on that... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=101725

This thread also has tons of good info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

ETA: Hanging food is no longer considered good practice around bears that know how to climb (like black bears). Get a bear-proof container instead.

Ron-Solo
03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Most of the Angeles is considered a "prohibited shooting area" so loaded carry could cause you some issues.

Plastic 'bear cans' are the best defense against bears raiding your food. I've spent a lot of time in the area and bears generally do not bother people. You have more to worry about from the 2 legged critters.

Mesa Tactical
03-31-2011, 7:15 AM
Plastic 'bear cans' are the best defense against bears raiding your food. I've spent a lot of time in the area and bears generally do not bother people. You have more to worry about from the 2 legged critters.

Bears are pretty thin on the ground up there. The purpose of bear cans in areas where there is little bear activity is to keep them honest. As long as they never learn to associate campers with food, they won't bother campers. So always bring a bear can.

The climb up the Ski Hut trail is one of the steepest in SoCal (930 vertical feet per mile, whoa!), and every ounce you carry will count. There aren't any four-legged dangers to worry about, and the two-legged dangers are unlikely to want to go to so much effort to cause problems. You'll probably want to leave that extra pound and a half of firearm at home.