PDA

View Full Version : Question about .22lr shotshells.

omgwtfbbq
03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
I have personally only used these a couple of times a long time ago with my dad's old single action Ruger revolver. My question is, are there certain rifles or pistols that it isn't advisable to use .22lr shotshells through? I would hate to mess up a perfectly good firearm just because I wanted to "experiment".

Tank 57
03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't think they'll do any harm.Might not cycle some semi autos.I experimented with them.Have to be pretty close to anything for them to be effective.

llamatrnr
03-30-2011, 11:21 PM
I've been shooting them for over 20 years through revolvers and bolt long guns with never a problem. Haven't run them through semi-autos; never saw a need, but would share TANK 57's cycling concerns

pilote
03-31-2011, 6:17 AM
ideally .22 shotshells are best used in a smooth bore, but there is no way a rifled bore will be damaged using them...i use .22 shotshells when walking in our desert areas (in a semi pistol which i cycle manually); my defense against snakes and such...and i have never heard of them cycling ANY semi pistol/rifle...

iareConfusE
03-31-2011, 9:12 AM
They should be safe to use, but they won't cycle in most semi automatics. They also won't feed very well if they could anyways.

TANK
04-01-2011, 3:58 AM
have used them in a neos 22 semi auto and i have to cycle it manually

cnj
04-01-2011, 4:46 AM
have used them in a neos 22 semi auto and i have to cycle it manually

Good to know. Maybe I will try them in my Neos.

the big ravioli
04-01-2011, 6:02 AM
Hey off the subject but.. All of you who have a Neos, get them checked out. Go to their website and look up the recall. I had to send my wifes in right after I bought it for her.

But as far as the shotshells, I use them all the time in my GSG and my 10/22. Great for scaring little rodents out of my garden.

yelohamr
04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
I carry a magazine of shot shells when I walk the dog. They don't cycle, but I've only needed one shot for a rattlesnake.
The weather is warmer and the snakes are out and about.

omgwtfbbq
04-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I carry a magazine of shot shells when I walk the dog. They don't cycle, but I've only needed one shot for a rattlesnake.
The weather is warmer and the snakes are out and about.

Yeah when I was younger my dad used to pack along his Ruger .22 Revolver with shotshells when we would go hiking or camping, but now days I only own a semi-auto long gun and haven't been too sure about loading up shotshells in it. Thanks everyone for the information.

DirtyDave
04-03-2011, 4:33 PM
They are intended for use in revolvers