PDA

View Full Version : answered

old45guy
03-30-2011, 10:27 PM
thanks

SVT-40
03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Go to DMV and get a California ID card. That will allow you to continue to buy firearms.

The Shadow
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd say go there with your drivers license that is current and show it to them. I'm not aware of any instance where they check DMV to see if it's suspended.

ddestruel
03-30-2011, 10:46 PM
if the crime didnt occur in ca they have no jurisdiction. they can not impose their penalties against a crime commited, tried and settled in another state. they do check for suspended licenses in other states but if minn sentenced you and you paid your restitution and full filled the requirements in minn CA can just apply thier DD laws against you all over again. if minn released you for fullfilling all your requirments then it should be as simple as a letter if CA is pulling double jepordy in some way .......

get a lawyer if they try that. but if you have an out of state suspended license then thats a whole different ball of wax. 4 years though you should be past the suspension unless you havent fulfilled everything

devildog999
03-30-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd agree, is it even legal to punish someone for something they have already been punished for?

if the crime didnt occur in ca they have no jurisdiction. they can not impose their penalties against a crime commited, tried and settled in another state. they do check for suspended licenses in other states but if minn sentenced you and you paid your restitution and full filled the requirements in minn CA can just apply thier DD laws against you all over again

get a lawyer if they try that.

jtmkinsd
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Driving is not a right...blah blah blah.

Your DL is not valid.

Go get an ID like SVT-40 said.

Problem solved.

hagan305
03-31-2011, 12:14 AM
You should call DMV mandatory actions dept. In Sacramento I spent a lot of time on the line with them and they can take care of these issues.

E Pluribus Unum
03-31-2011, 2:56 AM
You should call DMV mandatory actions dept. In Sacramento I spent a lot of time on the line with them and they can take care of these issues.

This...

And in the interim... go to the DMV and apply for a "California ID card".

It's automatic, and it's good for like 6 years, even after you get your DL back.

TRICKSTER
03-31-2011, 3:18 AM
Lots of missing info in the OP's post. I wouldn't go jumping to conclusions either way just yet. Like others have said, getting a CA ID Card would solve your firearms purchase problem if no acceptable ID is the issue.

Billy Jack
03-31-2011, 7:28 AM
I got a DUI in Minnesota 4 years ago. To make a long story short i had to pay a fine and all that but now it just showed up on my California record here this week. I had bought 2 guns the last 2 months and have another in dros right now till I got a phone call and said my license was suspended. This is the only way I would have know that my license was suspended. To make a long story short the state of california is making go to AA classes for 3 months even though i already did that in MN. My license will not be valid until 3 months from when i start except to drive to work. I guess what im asking is there anyway i can get my gun dros before that and be able to pick it up? Or do i have to wait the 3 months until i get my license valid again? Thanks for your advice.

California is one of 46 states that have signed the Driver License Compact. We acknowledge convictions for certain violations as well as suspensions from these states as they acknowledge ours. Your conviction and suspension is valid in California and is in all appropriate computer systems. California may add its own sanctions after the other states actions. Out of state convictions are subject to the same retention on your record as a California conviction. Infractions 3 years, DUI's 10 years. This is for enhancement if you receive another DUI within 10 years.

You may want to review 15020 CVC.

Billy Jack

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

stitchnicklas
03-31-2011, 8:44 AM
^ fail

a 4 yr old DUI case from a different state and the new state is tacking on new random penalty's.........hell no.

appeal the hell out of it before it becomes a California DUI and stays active on your drivers license for 10 yrs and on your record for life....

ignore the those that tell you to bend over and accept it

Scotes
03-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Sounds like getting a CA ID card will clear up the issue of getting your guns as getting a DUI won't disqualify you unless I think you are still under probation. For the DUI issue just get a lawyer. The CA DMV can be insane to deal with when it comes to issues like this and it will keep biting you in the *** unless you get it properly dealt with asap.

ohsmily
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
I got a DUI in Minnesota 4 years ago. To make a long story short i had to pay a fine and all that but now it just showed up on my California record here this week. I had bought 2 guns the last 2 months and have another in dros right now till I got a phone call and said my license was suspended. This is the only way I would have know that my license was suspended. To make a long story short the state of california is making go to AA classes for 3 months even though i already did that in MN. My license will not be valid until 3 months from when i start except to drive to work. I guess what im asking is there anyway i can get my gun dros before that and be able to pick it up? Or do i have to wait the 3 months until i get my license valid again? Thanks for your advice.

You need to talk to an experienced DUI lawyer and not some 1800DUI guy. You have problems. Were you a resident of Minnesota when you got the DUI? If so and you truly resolved it, then you shouldn't have any CA DMV action. Also, CA DMV doesn't make people go to AA classes. They go to first offender alcohol classes or multiple offender SB38 classes at a licensed program facility. If you value your license, you may need to hire a lawyer. I would meet with you but I am in Sac and you should find someone local.

Bottom line, if you were a MN resident when the DUI occurred and met all the requirements imposed on you at the time, CA should take NO ACTION against you!

To solve the firearms issue, as others have said, get an ID card...everyone should have on in the event that they lose their license or something happens to it. That way you can still buy firearms and get into over 21 establishments, etc.

ETA: Ignore the kook and wannabe lawyer who gave you erroneous information elsewhere in this thread. He knows who he is.

dantodd
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
I thought a suspended license is still valid ID just that it no longer infers driving privileges onto the individual. Are you sure that isn't the case?

E Pluribus Unum
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I thought a suspended license is still valid ID just that it no longer infers driving privileges onto the individual. Are you sure that isn't the case?

Nope... suspended license is not valid ID.

As a matter of fact... if you have any LEO contact, and they find out it is suspended... they confiscate it.

Ask me how I know... :)

dantodd
03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Ask me how I know... :)

Since You're a cop I don't have to ask how you know but I would like to know the PC or VC that says one must forfeit the license if it is suspended.

E Pluribus Unum
03-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Since You're a cop I don't have to ask how you know but I would like to know the PC or VC that says one must forfeit the license if it is suspended.

Oh no... I'm not a cop... I'm a computer tech who likes to break traffic laws... :)

23660. (a) If a person’s privilege to operate a motor vehicle is required to be suspended or revoked by the department under other provisions of this code upon the conviction of an offense described in Article 2 (commencing with Section 23152) of Chapter 12 of Division 11, that person shall surrender each and every operator’s license of that person to the court upon conviction. The court shall transmit the license or licenses required to be suspended or revoked to the department under Section 13550, and the court shall notify the department..

chaseface
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
..."CA DMV doesn't make people go to AA classes. They go to first offender alcohol classes or multiple offender SB38 classes at a licensed program facility.[/U][/B]

What you said is kinda true... the DMV does not require AA classes to get your license back but the California Courts CAN (but does not always). Trust me!! It all depends on where you live and what the courts require in the place you live. I have heard as few as a couple AA classes, i've also seen up to 100 required!! In parts of Southern California they even require that you attend a Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) Meeting

But I dont know the laws regarding them punishing you for an out of state DUI, that sucks. What I do know, and randomly enough just posted in another thread, is that if you try to get a new ID there is a 90 day wait because of the budget cuts. I have been waiting almost three months for a replacement on the license I lost. Good luck

dantodd
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Oh no... I'm not a cop... I'm a computer tech who likes to break traffic laws... :)

Thanks for the citation either way.

old45guy
03-31-2011, 1:24 PM
Excuse me its not AA classes it is the first offender program. Also I had a CA license while I got in MN. I own a cabin on a lake out there and vacation there 2 times a year.

dantodd
03-31-2011, 2:09 PM
So, did you have BOTH a MN and a CA driver's license or just a CA driver's license but got caught in MN?

ohsmily
03-31-2011, 2:11 PM
Excuse me its not AA classes it is the first offender program. Also I had a CA license while I got in MN. I own a cabin on a lake out there and vacation there 2 times a year.

If you had a valid CA license when you got your MN DUI, you MAY have to do the first offender program. However, depending on your "state of residence" at the time, you may be able to get out of the FOP (or you may be screwed). If you care enough and have some money, hire a (good) lawyer to look into it. It won't be that expensive....less than a couple grand...maybe less than 1000.....the FOP is $500.00 just for the 3 month course....so if you don't have to do that, you can think of it as crediting toward your legal fees.

ohsmily
03-31-2011, 2:13 PM
What you said is kinda true... the DMV does not require AA classes to get your license back but the California Courts CAN (but does not always). Trust me!! It all depends on where you live and what the courts require in the place you live. I have heard as few as a couple AA classes, i've also seen up to 100 required!! In parts of Southern California they even require that you attend a Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) Meeting

No. What I said is exactly true. The DMV does not and cannot require you to attend AA. I am not sure why you are discussing what the courts can do. The OP's question deals strictly with the administrative action by the DMV.

TRICKSTER
03-31-2011, 2:42 PM
A simple google search with give you the Vehicle Code sections. Why even make this an issue?

desertdweller
03-31-2011, 2:53 PM
Also I had a CA license while I got in MN. I own a cabin on a lake out there and vacation there 2 times a year.

If you got a DWI in MN with a CA license, then yes - CA can make you go to classes. It's just like getting a speeding ticket in MN with a CA license - it goes on your CA license. With a CA DMV hearing, you may get out of the FOP if you did one in MN but it's not a guarantee because of possible differences in class requirements, but will remain on your CA license.

If you have a CA and MN license - you will find one being revoked as you can only have 1 DL unless you live or reside in two states that have a "snow bird" clause, like MN and FL. In those cases, a ticket goes on both licenses as they are tied together in the system.

bussda
03-31-2011, 3:15 PM
Speculating on what happened, it seems to be that court requirements in MN were met, but not filed with the court or properly entered into court data system. Thus the action by the CA DMV.

While this action may not be just, it is legal.

old45guy
03-31-2011, 3:30 PM
I had just a CA license

E Pluribus Unum
03-31-2011, 3:34 PM
I had just a CA license

You're probably screwed.

chaseface
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
No. What I said is exactly true. The DMV does not and cannot require you to attend AA. I am not sure why you are discussing what the courts can do. The OP's question deals strictly with the administrative action by the DMV.

Oh really? then why dont you read the OP's post again and tell me where it says DMV... because I just re-read it and all it said was "state of california" which could be either, it is not just the DMV who can suspend your license. If you do not fulfill both court and DMV requirements then you do not get your license back.

KylaGWolf
03-31-2011, 11:54 PM

Seems they have a habit of doing that. They did that to a friend of mine's daughter after she did everything the Arizona courts ordered her to do. She was an Arizona resident then moved back to CA. She got her license then found out a month after she got her CA DL that she was suspended for the incident in AZ. She has proof that she completed the course and was cleared but CA doesn't seem to care made her re do it. So they are basically double penalizing her. And unless you can get it cleared up I would say nope I don't think you will be able to do the DROS. I would get a hold of a lawyer and see if you can fight them doing this to your record in the mean time.