PDA

View Full Version : Out Of State Sale

Aldemar
03-30-2011, 9:57 AM
What are the laws (Federal?) if I want to sell a pistol to an Arizona resident on a FTF basis? I've got a friend in Az that has been bugging me to sell my Colt Officers .45 for some time now.

The next time I'm in Az, can't I just do a FTF or does it need to go thru a FFL?

Librarian
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
MUST go through an AZ FFL.

See also the Calguns Foundation Wiki article on

Interstate transfer - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate

Flintlock Tom
03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Along those lines can Aldemar and his friend just walk into an FFL in AZ and have the FFL do the 4473 on the spot?

dantodd
03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
You can just take your gun with you on your next trip to AZ. If your buddy asks about it again and you are willing to part with it there is no waiting period in AZ and I think many FFLs will do the transfer for $25 or so. It may be illegal to trasport across state lines specifically for transfer, I am not certain, but if you take it with you regularly anyway and just decide to let him buy it this one trip it shouldn't be a problem.

jtmkinsd
03-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Along those lines can Aldemar and his friend just walk into an FFL in AZ and have the FFL do the 4473 on the spot?

Up to the FFL how the transaction is handled...but theoretically, yes.

Aldemar
03-30-2011, 11:02 AM
You can just take your gun with you on your next trip to AZ. If your buddy asks about it again and you are willing to part with it there is no waiting period in AZ and I think many FFLs will do the transfer for $25 or so. It may be illegal to trasport across state lines specifically for transfer, I am not certain, but if you take it with you regularly anyway and just decide to let him buy it this one trip it shouldn't be a problem.

This is the scenario I was envisioning. I always take a few toys when I go to Az.

I know there is a form I need to fill out in Ca notifying them that I no longer have possession of the pistol, but will the Az FFL handle this?

Librarian
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
No, AZ properly ignores CA whenever it can.

The form is http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

Aldemar
03-30-2011, 11:50 AM
No, AZ properly ignores CA whenever it can.

The form is http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to....funny, no mention of tragic boating accident as choice:D

Mssr. Eleganté
03-30-2011, 6:41 PM
...I know there is a form I need to fill out in Ca notifying them that I no longer have possession of the pistol, but will the Az FFL handle this?

Just to clarify, you are not required to fill out or send in that form. It is 100% optional.

Aldemar
03-31-2011, 7:49 AM
Just to clarify, you are not required to fill out or send in that form. It is 100% optional.

Why would I not want to fill it out? I would want to get my name off a firearm I'm no longer in possession of ASAP. If for some reason, that firearm winds up at a crime scene, the powers that be would be pounding on my door in no time.

dantodd
03-31-2011, 8:55 AM
Why would I not want to fill it out? I would want to get my name off a firearm I'm no longer in possession of ASAP. If for some reason, that firearm winds up at a crime scene, the powers that be would be pounding on my door in no time.

While it is a good idea to file the form it will not keep the police from banging on your door if the gun is used illegally in the future. The police *may* find that you are the last person on the list of owners and still come and ask you questions. Since AZ has no registration there will not be any record of who purchased your weapon so the police could come to ask you about the buyer. Or they may simply think you are lying about selling it.

Aldemar
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
While it is a good idea to file the form it will not keep the police from banging on your door if the gun is used illegally in the future. The police *may* find that you are the last person on the list of owners and still come and ask you questions. Since AZ has no registration there will not be any record of who purchased your weapon so the police could come to ask you about the buyer. Or they may simply think you are lying about selling it.

You can send documentation along with it. Since it needs to go thru an Az FFL, all I would need is a copy of the 4473 or other bill of sale to attach.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-31-2011, 6:38 PM
...If for some reason, that firearm winds up at a crime scene, the powers that be would be pounding on my door in no time.

Because of the way firearms traces work in this country, the police would have to knock on your door no matter what.