PDA

View Full Version : Can I use Rifled Slugs in my Mossberg 500?

cornholio1
11-02-2006, 8:43 PM
Can I use Rifled Slugs in my Mossberg 500 combo? The barrels are stock and are whatever normall comes with the Big 5 package.

blkA4alb
11-02-2006, 8:45 PM
Yes, rifled slugs simply have some "rifling" cut into the sides of the slug. I've shot plenty of them through my 18" Mossberg combo.

KimoBBZ
11-02-2006, 8:57 PM
Sure... try with a rifled slug like the Brenneke KO... rifling on the slug itself puts a spin on the slug and stablizes. In my M3 & M4 they are very accurate at 50 yards.

KrizB
11-02-2006, 9:09 PM
Other day at Walmart, had an employee refuse to sell me rifled slugs for my Mossy. Informed me that using them in a smooth bore blows up the barrel and it just happened to someone the day before.

Was speechless when I asked him to fetch me three more boxes.
:)

WokMaster1
11-02-2006, 9:13 PM
Other day at Walmart, had an employee refuse to sell me rifled slugs for my Mossy. Informed me that using them in a smooth bore blows up the barrel and it just happened to someone the day before.

Was speechless when I asked him to fetch me three more boxes.
:)

Did you ask him if his father was home???? "Run along & go get your daddy, young man!:D "

KrizB
11-02-2006, 9:41 PM
<--23

He was in his mid/late 30's and wearing Mossy Oak camo, so what do I know?

ivanimal
11-02-2006, 9:47 PM
Brieneke rifled slugs = good bear medicine. That is what the alaskan fishing guides use. The first round is bird shot to scare the bear away, then 3 loads of hurt:eek: they are perfectly safe unless you work at Wallyworld.:cool:

slick_711
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Rifled slugs are made rifled to be shot through smooth bore shotguns, that's why they rifle the slugs...

Sabot slugs on the other hand, are not rifled, and are made for RIFLED shotguns, shooting a Sabot slug through a smooth bore shotgun would be a bad idea. I doubt it would blow up like the confused guy at walmart suggested to you; but it would be terribly inaccurrate.

Shooting rifled slugs through a rifled barrel on the other other hand, also not necessarrily unsafe, but could produce too much spin and destabilize the slug instead of stabilizing it. Or it could be a tack driver. Really depends on barrel/barrel length/slugs.

ZapThyCat
11-03-2006, 5:50 AM
There are some shotty's that have some sort of metal sticking out to help spread the shot when it leaves, or so I heard. That's fine when talking about bb's, but when talking about a slug, that could cause a barrel to blow up.

The guy didn't know what he was talking about though. Not all shotguns have this, and I happen to know that my Moss 500 doesn't. :)

M. Sage
11-03-2006, 7:14 AM
Well, yeah, you don't want to shoot slugs through a turkey (extra-full) choke, but other than that....

Also, I know that you're not supposed to fire slugs through a Mossberg 835 unless you buy a slug barrel for it. The standard barrels were cut oversize.

xenophobe
11-03-2006, 9:32 AM
Can I use Rifled Slugs in my Mossberg 500 combo? The barrels are stock and are whatever normall comes with the Big 5 package.

Yes, but make sure if your choke is one of the following: Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Rifled choke for slug...

Some people say shooting slugs with a Modified choke is alright and some say not to. In any event, it's definitely safe to shoot through Cylinder or IMP Cylinder and definitely not safe to shoot through a Improved Modified or Full choke.

anotherone
11-03-2006, 4:21 PM
I believe rifled slugs are also known as foster type slugs. They are designed to be shot through smoothbore shotguns and have rifling on them to stabilize them once they are airborne. DO NOT use Sabot slugs though... they are designed for special rifled barrel shotguns that are used out east where there are laws that require shotguns for deer hunting.

There are several people on this board who have killed pigs with foster type slugs and I know it's also possible to bring down deer and pigs with 000 buck shot as well. Shotguns are truely the ultimate multipurpose hunting gun.

rayra
11-19-2006, 7:35 PM
There are some shotty's that have some sort of metal sticking out to help spread the shot when it leaves, or so I heard. That's fine when talking about bb's, but when talking about a slug, that could cause a barrel to blow up.

The guy didn't know what he was talking about though. Not all shotguns have this, and I happen to know that my Moss 500 doesn't. :)It's called a CHOKE. There are a variety of styles to cause different patterns of shot.

And it's shotGUN.

NRAhighpowershooter
11-19-2006, 7:57 PM
Actually I think he was referring to the 'Duck Bill Attachment' that was found on shorguns in Vietnam. The SEAL's were very fond of this devise on shotguns

CalNRA
11-23-2006, 6:16 PM
I just unscew the modified choke on my 870 express and use slugs in it. damned good accuracy with the bead site.

Tunis
11-26-2006, 7:28 PM
speaking of slugs...i took my 870 to the range to fire off a few slugs. i let my brother shoot the first few rounds...as i stood back to watch, he took the first shot, i swear, everyone jumped :eek: ! it was the funniest thing to see! everyone stopped to see what we were shooting! gotta love the knoxx spec-ops stock... :D

cornholio1
11-26-2006, 9:16 PM
Too late guys. I used the rifled slugs and they work great!! Really accurate at 50yds. It made a huge sized hole in a Folgers coffee can. WOWOWOW

anotherone
11-26-2006, 11:37 PM
It made a huge sized hole in a Folgers coffee can. WOWOWOW

Winchester Hollow Point Slugs. Watermelon at 25 yards. Nuff said :D!

WhiteGT
11-27-2006, 6:30 PM
Winchester Hollow Point Slugs. Watermelon at 25 yards. Nuff said :D!

Whats size barrel?