PDA

View Full Version : Star Model B 9mm - Opinions please -

Saigon1965
03-29-2011, 2:07 PM
Saw the ad from Aim - What do you all think about this gun? Looks pretty neat and almost identical to the 1911 platform - What is different?

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3StarB

beauregard
03-29-2011, 2:10 PM
External extractor for one.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/f3starb3.jpg

TRICKSTER
03-29-2011, 2:17 PM
No grip safety.
My experience with Star pistols has been very good. They seem to be well made. I still have my PD that I bought in the 1980s.

Pofoo
03-29-2011, 6:26 PM
I didn't see the condition listed in the ad.
Russian capture? Mismatched parts?
War time manufacture?
Spanish arms have had quality and metalorgy problems from time to time.
My brother bought a new one of these in the mid 60's. Seemed to work fine except for breaking fireing pins, so he didn't want it for his main defense gun.
All in all, I'd probably pass at that price.

morrcarr67
03-29-2011, 7:26 PM
I want one. But no work means no new toys. :(

gun toting monkeyboy
03-29-2011, 8:08 PM
The Star pistols are great guns. They look like 1911s, but they are closer to Llama pistols in terms of design. Normally they are very good quality. Several steps above the questionable metallurgy of the revolvers made in Spain a few decades earlier. Most often they are chambered in 9mm Largo, which is a decent cartridge. DO NOT try to fire a 9mm Parabellum/Luger/ 9x19 round in them. The odds are that it will fire, but it is only being held against the breech face by the extractor. That will, at best, destroy the extractor very quickly. At worst, the whole gun has a K-B. If you feed it quality 9mm Largo, either surplus or hand loads, they are very reliable pistols. Normally good shooters too. If you don't mind rolling your own or scrounging the internet for ammo, they are a good addition to your collection.

-Mb

grnt
03-29-2011, 8:48 PM
I had one of these. Bought from Turners a few years ago. They went for $199 back then. Shot well, but kept getting hammer bite. Functions with FMJ's.

Spiggy
03-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I have one, it works really well and fairly accurately.

There was a guy on gunboards selling spare bits, I bought a few parts and mags from him.

I also have a B-S model which was imported by Interarms. It works just as well, but doesn't like some brands of ammo.

Saigon1965
03-31-2011, 6:17 PM
Thanks gentlemen - I'll probably skip the AIM deal and look for something in the secondary market - In 9mm instead of the Largo -

morrcarr67
03-31-2011, 7:37 PM
The ones Aim have are chambered in 9X19 Luger not the 9X23 Largo

Saigon1965
04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Am looking for a non-refurb though -

daveinwoodland
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
The Star pistols are great guns. They look like 1911s, but they are closer to Llama pistols in terms of design. Normally they are very good quality. Several steps above the questionable metallurgy of the revolvers made in Spain a few decades earlier. Most often they are chambered in 9mm Largo, which is a decent cartridge. DO NOT try to fire a 9mm Parabellum/Luger/ 9x19 round in them. The odds are that it will fire, but it is only being held against the breech face by the extractor. That will, at best, destroy the extractor very quickly. At worst, the whole gun has a K-B. If you feed it quality 9mm Largo, either surplus or hand loads, they are very reliable pistols. Normally good shooters too. If you don't mind rolling your own or scrounging the internet for ammo, they are a good addition to your collection.

-Mb
I could of sworn these were listed as 9MM Luger chambered?

gun toting monkeyboy
04-01-2011, 4:10 PM
I could of sworn these were listed as 9MM Luger chambered?

Federal Arms made aftermarket barrels for these in 9x19. Several other companies also have over the years. Most of the production models were in 9mm Largo because of the non-military caliber resrictions that existed in many of their target markets in Europe and South America. It may very well have had it's barrel replaced at some point. In which case 9x19 would be just fine. But check it first. It isn't a matter of the pressure being to great for the design of the gun. It is a matter of making sure you don't end up with heaspace issues.

morrcarr67
04-01-2011, 5:35 PM
Federal Arms made aftermarket barrels for these in 9x19. Several other companies also have over the years. Most of the production models were in 9mm Largo because of the non-military caliber resrictions that existed in many of their target markets in Europe and South America. It may very well have had it's barrel replaced at some point. In which case 9x19 would be just fine. But check it first. It isn't a matter of the pressure being to great for the design of the gun. It is a matter of making sure you don't end up with heaspace issues.

These are Model B Pistols. Take a look at this website (http://star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/index.shtml) all about the Star Pistols. You will see that they are listed as only being made in 9MM Luger

The Model B was developed and marketed synchronously with the Largo versions, with production commencing in 1924

It is the Model A and M that were made in 9MM Largo

nimbus
04-01-2011, 5:44 PM
I have one that was made in the '30s. Broke a firing pin and has some ejection issues from time to time, but overall a nice shooter. But not nice enough to warrant that $400 price tag.