PDA

View Full Version : Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park?

bulgron
03-28-2011, 8:35 PM
Is it legal to openly carry a sidearm in Kings Canyon and Sequoia national park? The federal rules are now "If it is legal in the state, then it is legal in the park." Generally, I know I can carry openly in national forest without a permit so long as I'm not on a road. Does that mean I don't need a permit to carry in the national park back country now?

Thanks. Living in Santa Clara County, a CCW is obviously out of the question (for the moment).

hgreen
03-28-2011, 9:56 PM
Discharge of firearms is prohibited in the park so it must be UOC.

Been there, done that.

http://southbayopencarry.org/2010/06/22/open-carrying-in-sequoia-national-park/

Kid Stanislaus
03-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Discharge of firearms is prohibited in the park so it must be UOC. Been there, done that. http://southbayopencarry.org/2010/06/22/open-carrying-in-sequoia-national-park/

Are you saying that a CCW is no good in Seq./KC?

cmth
03-28-2011, 10:52 PM

California state law applies in National Parks in California, therefore a CCW would allow you to carry loaded and concealed within the park. However since the discharge of a firearm is prohibited within the park, you may not carry a loaded firearm without a permit. UOC remains legal, outside of buildings where federal employees are regularly present for their duties (18 U.S.C. 930(g)(1)).

bulgron
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Okay, thanks for the answer.

exklusve
03-29-2011, 7:10 AM
There is a sticky in the Outdoors/camping area with all the info you need!

hgreen
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Didn't say anything about CCW since it would be off topic.

The OP asked "Is it legal to openly carry a sidearm".

Not "Enumerate all the possible ways I can legally carry a firearm."

They can also LUCC, but again not relevant since the question was on OC.

paul0660
03-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Offtopic, but no you can not CCW with a permit in Federal buildings that are posted with firearm restrictions, including in the Parks.

Kid Stanislaus
03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
California state law applies in National Parks in California, therefore a CCW would allow you to carry loaded and concealed within the park. However since the discharge of a firearm is prohibited within the park, you may not carry a loaded firearm without a permit.

But I take it that one CAN discharge a firearm in a legitimate self defense situation, right?

Kid Stanislaus
03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Didn't say anything about CCW since it would be off topic.

The OP asked "Is it legal to openly carry a sidearm".

Not "Enumerate all the possible ways I can legally carry a firearm."

They can also LUCC, but again not relevant since the question was on OC.

I asked a legitimate question, get the chip off your shoulder.

paul0660
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
But I take it that one CAN discharge a firearm in a legitimate self defense situation, right?

Yes. Also you can load the firearm prior to shooting it, given an assumption of danger and some other stuff.

"legitimate" and "self defense" are terms you will be asked to talk about by the cops who respond and prosecutors after the fact. The usual advice is to say " I was in fear of my life (or fearing for someone else's)" and shut up, pending counsel by an experienced attorney.

bulgron
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Of course. You just can't target practice or hunt.

stix213
03-29-2011, 1:45 PM
MudCamper's exhaustive thread on the topic is the defacto authority on this

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457