PDA

View Full Version : Legalities in loaning a gun to someone

aybyman
03-28-2011, 7:41 PM
If I lend my gun to a buddy of mine for him to use at the range or a class that I am not there, is it illegal?

I know I'd be held responsible for any crimes committed, but I trust him not to do that. However, if he gets stopped for whatever reason, will he be in trouble for being in possession of that firearm? (It's legal for him to own a gun)

Saigon1965
03-28-2011, 7:44 PM
If he's legal to own then you can loan him the firearm for up to 30 days - After that the black copters will appear if you don't have it back -

paul0660
03-28-2011, 7:50 PM
If he is not prohibited, you can loan him a gun for up to 30 days. If it is a handgun he needs a HSC. You are NOT responsible for what happens while he has the gun, if the above is complied with.

Cokebottle
03-28-2011, 7:56 PM
1 - He needs to have a Handgun Safety Certificate
2 - He needs to not be (to the best of your knowledge) a prohibited person (no felonies, misdemeanor domestic violence, etc....)
3 - Loan can not exceed 30 days
4 - He buys his own ammo, and gives you 4 boxes when he gives the gun back.

Okay.... #4 isn't in the PC, but it should be ;)

On the last item, make sure that he knows how to legally transport the gun (unloaded, locked container), and that he knows his rights and will not consent to a search of his person or vehicle.

If he is the kind of guy that gets hassled by cops frequently, it might be prudent to give him a signed letter indicating the term and conditions of the loan, and information from your CaDL and phone number, so in the event that a cop does suspect him of having a stolen gun, he can provide at least something supporting his claim, and the cops can verify that you are the registered owner and perhaps contact you to verify the legitimacy of the loan.

On the gun being registered to you, any crime that he might commit while he has the gun (including improper transportation IE: Unlawful concealed carry) will be elevated to felony status... but that responsibility is on him, not you.
If he commits a crime and kills or injures someone, you have only your conscience to live with... and perhaps being draw into a civil trial.

InGrAM
03-28-2011, 7:57 PM
can't you loan a rifle to someone (friend) indefinitely? Because long guns are not required to be registered?

correct me if I am wrong please

Cokebottle
03-28-2011, 8:02 PM
can't you loan a rifle to someone (friend) indefinitely? Because long guns are not required to be registered?

correct me if I am wrong please
If it is not an intrafamilial transfer of a long gun, it becomes an illegal transfer on day-31.

Intrafamilial transfer of a long gun between two California residents and private party transfer of a C&R long gun are the only legal "paperless" transfers that may exceed 30 days.