PDA

View Full Version : Henry Arms AR7 22lr survival rifle?

MasterrEugene
03-28-2011, 8:19 PM
I've seen this gun on the internet and it seems really cool. It's a 3 piece .22 rifle and all of the parts of the gun can fit inside of the stock for portability.

Does anyone reading this have this firearm and can hopefully give me some insight on the rifle? thanks :)

Vacaville
03-28-2011, 8:22 PM
I don't have one, but they are pretty cool. When it's broken down and away in the stock, it's supposed to be able to float on water. Never heard a bad thing about them.

Dion
03-28-2011, 8:33 PM
I heard they jam. But so does my Marlin 60 with certain ammo.

Oceanbob
03-28-2011, 8:34 PM
I've seen this gun on the internet and it seems really cool. It's a 3 piece .22 rifle and all of the parts of the gun can fit inside of the stock for portability.

Does anyone reading this have this firearm and can hopefully give me some insight on the rifle? thanks :)

Read here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=380150&highlight=AR+7

OHW
03-28-2011, 8:35 PM
A thorough and objective review too long to repeat myself.
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/survival-gear/116300-henry-us-survival-h002b.html

lpk5
03-28-2011, 9:19 PM
Good read on both. I'm also thinking about picking one up.

cmth
03-28-2011, 11:45 PM
I have one of the newest models by Henry (orange inside the stock), and it works great. Surprisingly accurate and have only had one failure to extract on what felt like a weak round of Federal bulk, and a few failures to fire that were not the fault of the rifle (crappy bulk ammo). Has shot everything I've thrown at it so far. The biggest improvement is the chamber end of the barrel that goes into the receiver is all steel, which means the lockup between barrel and receiver should remain consistent. So far it has for me. I'm very happy with it and it serves my purposes just fine.

RogueSniper
03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I have one of the newest models by Henry (orange inside the stock), and it works great. Surprisingly accurate and have only had one failure to extract on what felt like a weak round of Federal bulk, and a few failures to fire that were not the fault of the rifle (crappy bulk ammo). Has shot everything I've thrown at it so far. The biggest improvement is the chamber end of the barrel that goes into the receiver is all steel, which means the lockup between barrel and receiver should remain consistent. So far it has for me. I'm very happy with it and it serves my purposes just fine.

Finally! Someone bought the newest model and can attest that it WORKS (at least it works more reliably)!

Thanks cmth!

IrishPirate
03-28-2011, 11:50 PM
i started a thread asking about it a while back and got some good replys....i'll see if it hasn't been removed yet. It's still on my list of guns to buy. I want the new, two mag holding, camo version....great backpacking gun.

pilote
03-29-2011, 5:38 AM
1) DO NOT buy a Henry AR7 because "it's cool"; it has limitations. do your research on the forums and be informed as to what the limitations and quirks of the AR7 are. it was not designed to be an everyday plinker.

2) Henry most current (2 mag holding, steel breech-end barrel) version is only available in black, although the scuttlebutt is they are considering bringing back the camo color.

jackandblood
03-29-2011, 7:29 AM
1) DO NOT buy a Henry AR7 because "it's cool"; it has limitations. do your research on the forums and be informed as to what the limitations and quirks of the AR7 are. it was not designed to be an everyday plinker.

2) Henry most current (2 mag holding, steel breech-end barrel) version is only available in black, although the scuttlebutt is they are considering bringing back the camo color.

Why what happens if you everyday plink with it? explosion?

scuttlebutt, is that like the grapevine.

gary t
03-29-2011, 8:59 AM
I have two AR-7ís (Charter Arms & Henry). They both needed some minor attention to suit my needs. The Henry has a poly barrel with a steel grooved sleeve. This is to make the gun light. But from what Iíve heard itís not designed for high cycle life. It certainly wonít dissipate heat well. So for plinking I purchased an AR Custom Accessories steel barrel. I found the Henry to be quite reliable.

The Charter Arms AR-7 was not reliable at all. The problem with some older AR-7ís is with the barrelís breech. It has a sharp edge that catches the bullet tip as a shell is loaded. The fix is simple. Add a small crescent chamfer to the bottom ľ of the breech. Just be carful to keep the chamferís radius smaller then the base rim of the 22 case. After this modification the gun fires fine. The Charter Arms AR-7 also has a better factory barrel than the Henrys.

Use good ammo. I only use CCI mini-mags. There is a lot of information on the web on AR-7ís. Plenty of replacement parts. The mechanism is very simple. I further modified the Henryís with a red dot sight, pistol grip and collapsing aluminum stock from AR Custm Accss. Both guns are fun to shoot and fine for plinking. Accuracy is so-so.

robcoe
03-29-2011, 9:32 AM

If it's one of the Henry ones it should be good, I've got about 3000 rounds through one with only the usual cheap ammo problems.

If it's a charter arms, it probably would make in interesting replacement table leg, the one my buddy had would cycle 3-4 rounds then jam.

pilote
03-29-2011, 9:49 AM
Why what happens if you everyday plink with it? explosion?

scuttlebutt, is that like the grapevine.

"plinkers" want to only use the very cheapest ammo available; use the cheapest and the probability is high you will encounter all the wonderful issues that the AR7 is famous for...which ends up you hating the rifle.

because it's a takedown, "everyday" use will wear it loose. sure, you can use it everyday, but a 10/22 or marlin 795 or savage 64 or similar will hold up longer to the "grab and go" abuse of a plinking .22.

...it's a lightweight pack/camping rifle, effective in the 15-30yrd range to hit small game. sure, you can shoot it longer but probably you will not be happy with its accuracy...which ends up you hating the rifle.

i have 2...i hike/camp to backcountry lakes in the sierras 3-4 times a year; i usually have an AR7 with me...i use cci minimags or velocitors exclusively...these are the only times the AR7 gets used.

"gary t" has said some valuable info on the AR7, including that the barrel is not designed for hi-cycle life (TRUE), so he got an improved barrel, and that's great but now it's not a compact 2.5lb takedown rifle anymore...a fact to consider...i got the Henry Survival's specifically because it was a 2.5lb takedown rifle...friends have tried packing with a marlin pappose and folding stock 10/22; both still too heavy...(and we strongly prefer a rifle over a pistol).

jackandblood
03-29-2011, 11:00 AM
interesting. thanks for the info. Maybe the steel inner barrel is a cheaper alloy? or just too thin?

"plinkers" want to only use the very cheapest ammo available; use the cheapest and the probability is high you will encounter all the wonderful issues that the AR7 is famous for...which ends up you hating the rifle.

because it's a takedown, "everyday" use will wear it loose. sure, you can use it everyday, but a 10/22 or marlin 795 or savage 64 or similar will hold up longer to the "grab and go" abuse of a plinking .22.

...it's a lightweight pack/camping rifle, effective in the 15-30yrd range to hit small game. sure, you can shoot it longer but probably you will not be happy with its accuracy...which ends up you hating the rifle.

i have 2...i hike/camp to backcountry lakes in the sierras 3-4 times a year; i usually have an AR7 with me...i use cci minimags or velocitors exclusively...these are the only times the AR7 gets used.

"gary t" has said some valuable info on the AR7, including that the barrel is not designed for hi-cycle life (TRUE), so he got an improved barrel, and that's great but now it's not a compact 2.5lb takedown rifle anymore...a fact to consider...i got the Henry Survival's specifically because it was a 2.5lb takedown rifle...friends have tried packing with a marlin pappose and folding stock 10/22; both still too heavy...(and we strongly prefer a rifle over a pistol).

MyOdessa
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I have old Charter Arms AR7, as it came from the factory it was unreliable, mostly failures to feed. I reworked chamber end and it works fine now. Also magazine was a problem, I fixed that by bending magazine lips to proper angle. All in all good back up rifle, decently accurate, certainly worth buying. Don't know anything about Henry AR7 though.

dunc289
03-29-2011, 2:36 PM
Good read on both. I'm also thinking about picking one up.

Check the market place,

There was one for sale as part of a collection last week.

Search term "survival"

for sale by Capt Communist.

make him an offer.

beaster
03-29-2011, 3:36 PM
They have one down at Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell. Cool rifle, seemed solid enough. Too bad if you're a lefty like me though. The way the barrel fits into the stock makes a bulge in the handle that doesn't feel right when it's put together. While we're on the subject of BOB, survival, backup in the trunk weapons, anyone know of a good ambi firearm in a similar config?

Coded-Dude
03-29-2011, 3:57 PM
They have one down at Sportsmen's Supply in Campbell. Cool rifle, seemed solid enough. Too bad if you're a lefty like me though. The way the barrel fits into the stock makes a bulge in the handle that doesn't feel right when it's put together. While we're on the subject of BOB, survival, backup in the trunk weapons, anyone know of a good ambi firearm in a similar config?

here are a couple different breakdown rifles.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/copilot.html

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/g2Contender.php

BigfootHunter
03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
Just picked one up today, not sure where you're located, but Fieldtime Sports and Guns in Westminster, CA still had one left on the shelf. That one looks to be an older Henry (before the orange insert). Now the wait begins. Looks like additional mags can be had from brownells, but I'd really like to get my hands on a better rear sight.

I was able to use a 10% discount coupon the store mailed out - which is what pushed me over the edge.

ETA: They retail there for $249

Mail Clerk
03-30-2011, 6:35 AM
I have the Charter Arms version myself and found it to be an excellent carbine to carry with you on hiking trips. I heard rumors of the Henry's not very reliable but since it's a simple rifle/mechanism I can't figure? Just use good ammo like CCI "Blazer" or "Mini- Mags" and it should do fine. remember to oil it a bit.

Mail Clerk

Coded-Dude
03-30-2011, 8:12 AM
not sure if these guys are still open for business....but they have a lot of stuff for your ar7

http://ar7.imoutdoorshosting.com/store/

2004jamange
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I have a Henry and love it. Armalite and Charters are notorious for jams but I have never had a problem with my Henry. It is suprisingly accurate for its weight and there are plenty of sites out there that allow you to configure it to fit your needs. I am a purist though and enjoy shooting it as it came from the box. If I had to guess how many rounds have been through mine I would say around 5000 and the only complaint I have is that the lug that is on the barrel that lines it up to the reciever is getting worn so it takes a minute to get everything lined up to tighten it down. $45 for a new barrel from Henrys and it will be as good as new. These are also made in the good old US of A in Brooklyn NY which is always a plus for me.... I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.